Royal assassin

M

mythosx

Royal assassins were boss back in the day. How come no one is using or talking about them as much anymore? They got reprinted...How come they are being abused?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's probably because back in the day, you could get the Assassin out pretty easy on turn 1 with a Dark Ritual and there weren't a lot of "good" creatures back then. Nowadays, there's just more creatures to compete with so the Assassin has dropped a little in play value.

Same with Serra and Sengir, two old school greats who have become a bit obsolete with better creatures today. :)

T

train

I'd only run royal if he couldn't be targeted - ala greaves or something - but eventually he just can't do much more than a 5/5 flying visara that hits the table alongside a darksteel when tooth and nail is played...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Plus the smaller card pool back then made players more reliant on creature-based decks...

T

train

creature based decks in which creatures had "abilities"... that could help control the game...

Sorceress queen and assassin are prime examples...

Answer to Shivan - Queen or Assassin...
Answer to Assassin or Queen - bolt...

ahhh - the endless cycle...;)

T

train

for the cycle - things are still that way...

When it comes to creature based decks still being that way - I'll state that it's very different - more of the game now is control, or tempo, and not so much "creature utility..."

C

chocobo_cid

(Looks at card, sees Onslaught logo)

It's not that old of a combo.

:p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I consider it to be new, but some people think Apocalypse is old, while to me it's new...

So what counts as "old"?

C

chocobo_cid

Channel-Lightning Bolt-Fireball.

"Old Combo" has the connotation of pre-OD or so. But it's definately not going to rely on a currently standard legal card.

Goblin Sharpshooter is relatively new.

N

Nightstalkers

Pretty much anything thats not in T2 right now is old. Anything thats in Urza's and on is antique.

N

Nightstalkers

Originally posted by Oversoul
Heh, Magic such a young game...

Antique...

lol, only 10 or so years old and I'm already calling some of the strategies antique :rolleyes:

C

chocobo_cid

Stands to reason. Magic is the oldest CCG, as far as I know, so anything compared to it is either a flash in the pan or childing.

C

chocobo_cid

Anyway, Royal Assassin.

Sure, it's outdated, but its a monster with twiddles, dream's grip, etc. I like this guy even if doesn't manage to be as good as he was.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Punish them for attacking...

But I don't think I've ever actually seen someone try to use Royal Assassin with blue, which could potentially give it more power via Twiddles and whatnot...

Or maybe Abyssal Hunter if nothing else...

T

train

I've seen it used with blue...

Mind over matter...:rolleyes:

Courtesy of yours truly... I used it to pave the way for weenies...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Do you mean to tell me that you once used MoMa? :eek:

How could one find the strength to abandon the dark side? :confused: