Rolling thunder

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Duel, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Duel Has Less Posts Than Spiderman

Here's the deal: cowardice on the table, I'm playing red/blue cheese. I cast Rolling Thunder and target all my opponent's creature dealing them 0 damage each. Do they return to his hand?
  2. Ura Feline Lord of the Pit

Technically yes they would all go back. Rolling Thunder says, and correct me if I'm wrong, to deal X damage divided any way you choose to any number of target creatures or players. You could technically choose to deal the creatures 0 damage each and yet still be targeting them.
  3. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

Awww! Duel, don't you trust me IRL? :) J/K. Fine. Be that way. Make me dig through HUNDREDS of pages of BORING rulings without purpose or reason... Did you know that there is actually a defined 'zone' for removed from the game permanents? Bleh.

But I got the ruling:

'T.4.9 - You cannot choose to target something then choose to do nothing to it or to do zero damage to it. If this is the case, you simply do not target that permanent. [CompRules 99/04/23]'

So no, you can't. You have to actually deal damage to the thing in order to target it.

"Don't even START me on the errata..."
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Zadok is correct, if my saying so makes any difference.
  5. Ura Feline Lord of the Pit

Ahh, ok. I wasn't sure if there was an official ruling for that or not.
    Thanks Zadok! :)
  6. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

No problem, I'm bored... You wanna ruling, I'll get to you.

"Mr. Encyclopedia..."