Roar of Jukai

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by DarthFerret, Apr 16, 2005.

1. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

I just saw this card, and I was wondering, there does not appear to be a splice cost, does this mean it is free to play, or is the splice cost the same as the spell cost. I am relly fuzzy about the splice ability anyways, so someone please help me.
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

The Splice cost is to give an opponent 5 life. It costs no mana to splice the Roar.

(- Steve -)
  3. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Okeyday...thanks. I guess I did not quite understand the wording.
  4. Killer Joe Active Member

Splice
    Splice is a static ability that functions while a card is in your hand. “Splice onto [type or subtype] [cost]” means “You may reveal this card from your hand as you play a [type or subtype] spell. If you do, copy this card’s text box onto that spell and pay [cost] as an additional cost to play that spell.” Paying a card’s splice cost follows the rules for paying additional costs in rules 409.1b and 409.1f–h.

You can’t choose to use a splice ability if you can’t make the required choices (targets, etc.) for that card’s instructions. You can’t splice any one card onto the same spell more than once.

If you’re splicing more than one card onto a spell, reveal them all at once and choose the order in which their instructions will be followed.

The instructions on the main spell have to be followed first.

The spell has the characteristics of the main spell, plus the text boxes of each of the spliced cards. The spell doesn’t gain any other characteristics (name, mana cost, color, supertypes, types, subtypes, etc.) of the spliced cards.

Choose targets for the added text normally (see rule 409.1c). Note that a spell with one or more targets will be countered if **ALL** (not some or one) of its targets are illegal on resolution.

The spell loses any splice changes once it leaves the stack (e.g. when it’s countered, it’s removed from the game, or it resolves).
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

So splicing a spell counts as playing it? So you're basically playing two arcane spells?
  6. Limited Yes, but we won't care

no, you are just adding an effect to an arcane spell your are playing. Stormcount = 1.
  7. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

So one of the main uses of splice, is to target something that has a pro color by splicing the spell onto another card of a different color?

(Such as, lets pretend terror has a splice cost (boy wouldn't that be nice) of 2. Your opponent has a White Knight and a Sol Ring in play. I cast a Disenchant, and splice the Terror onto it. This would in effect, turn the Terror into a white effect so that the White Knight is buried?)
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I've never played with or against splice spells. That sounds about right though...
  9. orgg Administrator

Well, let's say you had Horobi's Whisper (Terror, if you have a swamp when it resolves and with a Splice cost of removing some cards from your graveyard) and spliced it onto Wear Away(Arcane Disenchant for Green Green). You could target the sol ring with the Wear Away, then splice the Whisper onto the Wear Away to kill the White Knight.

Not bad for a mechanic that is effectivly the new incarnation of Snow Covered Lands, huh?
  10. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Yeah, it's definitely more useful than snow-covered lands. On the other hand, I haven't seen any particularly impressive splice spells...
  11. Limited Yes, but we won't care

I have seen a couple of decks that revolve around Hana Kami and Soulless Revival.
    You can play any Arcane spell, sac Hana to get it back and play it again, splicing the Revival to get the Hana back to your hand.
  12. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I didn't think of that aspect of it. I just thought the main use was kinda like buyback - you get the spliced spell's effect but don't actually lose the card - you get to keep it in your hand. Cool thing about the changing color when spliced :)
  13. Killer Joe Active Member

Correct! However, you would splice the Whisper by revealing it at the time you're playing the Wear Away. When the spell resolves you would have to perform the text box in this order:

1.) Destroy target artifact or enchanment.

2.) If you control a swamp, destroy target non-black creature.

So the spell and it's text box contents are green :D
  14. DarthFerret Evil Sith Weasel

Ok, I think I got it now. Stupid me did not realize that the splice thing said reveal and left the original card in your hand. Now that I know that....makes a lot more sense. Thanks for that example there orgg and KJ. That is exactly what I was talking about!