Reprint Selections

F

FoundationOfRancor

While looking at all the old card art on Mtgnews (Which is very cool btw), I found alot of cards that I think would be great reprinted. Im talking about good, balanced cards that are in no way broken, just fun. For example, Icy Manipulator (Ice Age and on, of course). If it were reprinted in 8th I think everyone would be happy, but no one would complain. Anyway, what do you think? Whats a good/balanced card you always wanted to see re-printed but never has been?

P

Pezmeister

all the old cards should be reprinted, regardless of how "unbalanced" they are. there are so many more abusable cards than ancestral recall, time walk, library of alexandria, mana drain, and juzam djinn that've all been printed in the past 3 cycles

...academy, i'm looking in your direction...

M

Mikeymike

I'd like to see Natural Order and City of Solitude comeback. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing an entire reprint of the Visions set. Blaze of Glory would be very cool too.

C

Captain Caveman

Some of the stuff I'd like to see come back in 8th:

Tradewind Rider
Phyrexian Plaguelord
Blinding Angel
Shard Phoenix
Autuum Willow

Natural Order
Cataclysm
Time Warp
Living Death
Hammer of Bogardan

Diabolic Edict
Accumulated Knowledge
Kindle

Powder Keg

I

Istanbul

I'm gonna have to disagree with Tradewind Rider, Shard Phoenix, and Living Death. All three are inherently very very abusable. Even if they were in print right now, every deck that could cast them would have four of each.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The reprinted Necropotence in 5th, so why not Yawgmoth's Bargain?

Um, I'd also like to see Shard Phoenix come back. That was my favorite card out of the Rath Cycle.

Ransac, cpa trash man

I

Istanbul

We like CounterPhoenix that much, do we?
We want to see it come back and dominate any environment it's in?
Remember, with Shard Phoenix in the environment, any ground creature with toughness < 3 is as good as dead, as long as the deck survives long enough to find a Phoenix...and with cards like Prophetic Bolt, Opt, and Fact or Fiction around, I can all but guarantee it.

Shard Phoenix NO.

I

Istanbul

Oh, it's good. REALLY good.

Some Exodus cards I wouldn't mind seeing reprinted (buying a box gets you thinking):

Angelic Blessing (2W)
Sorcery
Target creature gets +3/+3 and flying until end of turn.

Mirozel (3U)
Creature - Illusion
Flying
If Mirozel is the target of any spell or ability, return Mirozel to owner's hand.
2/3

Theft of Dreams (2U)
Sorcery
For each tapped creature target player controls, draw a card.

Wayward Soul (2UU)
Creature - Spirit
Flying
U: Put Wayward Soul on top of its owner's library.
3/2

Cat Burgular (3B)
Creature - Minion
2B, T: Target player chooses and discards a card. Play this ability as a sorcery.
2/2

Scare Tactics (B)
Instant
Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.

Jackalope Herd (3G)
Creature - Beasts
If you play any spell, return Jackalope Herd to owner's hand.
4/5

Plated Rootwalla (4G)
Creature - Lizard
2G: Plated Rootwalla gets +3/+3 until end of turn. Play this ability only once per turn.
3/3

Pygmy Troll (1G)
Creature - Troll
For each creature that blocks it, Pygmy Troll gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
G: Regenerate Pygmy Troll.
1/1

Song of Serenity (1G)
Enchantment
Creatures with any enchantments on them can't attack or block.

J

Jake74

Cat Burglar would be cool... my friend has an all common black deck with them...
Jackalope Herd is overcosted to me... it is green after all... would not want to see it again...
Song of serenity would be awesome in today's enviroment... a cloak... too bad :) Embrace... umm sorry... Quicksilver dagger? uh oh... :D

C

Chaos Turtle

Now, Tradewind Rider, much as I love it, I can understand not being reprinted.

But Living Death is only good with lots of good CIP abilities in the environment. It would still be very strong, but nothing like what it was in the Rath/Urza Standard.

Same goes for Shard Phoenix. Very strong, but not dominant without a way to take exceptional advantage of the recursive ability, like Forbid.

Hardly matters anyway. none of these cards will be reprinted in a base set unless the reprint standards change over the next couple of years.

I

Istanbul

Phoenix/Bridge with counter backup? It'd dominate pretty much anything else out there. It DID for a while, and that was a faster environment.

What ARE the standards, anyway?

E

Ephrils

*laughs at Jackalope Herd*
I'd love to see that card come back. I was playing with them for a bit in Type 2 when they were legal. If anything, just for the name :p

I like the Shard Pheonix. If it came back i don't think it would be as powerful as before, especially if a card like Nether Spirit is around. The Pheonix's sac ability suddenly becomes useless.

The only deck I used the Pheonix in was to primarily discard it. I only cast it if I needed to kill a bunch of weenies.

I

Istanbul

Nether Spirit? Heh. I hate to break this to you, but Nether Spirit's lifespan can currently be measured in weeks. (10, give or take.)

Clear out creatures? Wow, and we all know Invasion is so short on creatures...Phoenix would eat all but one Bear, for example.
Oh, and here's a fun trick...

Sac Phoenix during my upkeep.
Regrow and play it.
Sac it again.
Every ground-pounder now has 4 points of damage on it.

The Phoenix is not a deck on its own. But I believe that it could be a MAJOR force if paired with Ensnaring Bridge...it's done so before.

If Shard Phoenix were to be reprinted, I would ph33r it heap big.

G

Gizmo

Nah, Phoenix was good because of it`s synergy with Forbid and Intuition. Bridge? Bah. If you played Bridge why THE HELL would you want a 5cc Quake in. These days you`d just play SO much burn.

Tradewind and Plaguelord would be too powerful I think...Death would be strong, but not incredible.

I`d like to see, hmm, lets try to pick a couple from each color and so on...

Gaeas Blessing, Scragnoth
Ivory Gargoyle, Mother Of Runes
Jackal Pup, Mogg Fanatic
Ashen Ghoul, Diabolic Edict
Legacy`s Allure, Man O War
Powder Keg, Serrated Arrows
Stalking Stones

With an Honourable Mention to Forsaken Wastes.

C

Captain Caveman

If they were to reprint some of the cards I listed they would of
course have to give us some way to deal with them.

More Stuff.....

Cursed Totem
Thran Foundry
Dissipate
Carrion Beetles

I

Istanbul

YES. They SO need to reprint Dissipate!
I agree with Thran Foundry, too.
I was expecting to see Planar Void in 7th...I hope it gets into 8th.
Gaea's Blessing gives me HIVES. It's so, *so* strong...
Mogg Fanatic, no. Mogg Fanatic is one of the best creatures in Magic. I notice you basically want Sligh to be reprinted? Why not just go for Ball Lightning?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Most people seemed to stop at Tempest or Mirage blocks at the earliest. It's been so long since I looked at these cards and I don't even know if they've been reprinted already, but from a playing standpoint (not a tourny one), I like
  • Icy Manipulator
  • Tinder Wall
  • the original ACCs from Alliances
  • Walking Wall
  • Rukh Egg
  • Desert
  • Resurrection
  • Regrowth
  • Quicksand

Stuff like that