Reper-crushin

G

Gumby Khan

This is a new deck my friend needs help with.

Lands
2 Sandstone Needles
2 Remote Farms
9 mountains
9 plains

Creatures
4 Mother of "Ruins"
4 Thermal Gliders
3 Voice of Law
4 Fire ants
3 Warmonger

Spells
4 Tremor
3 Repercussion
3 enlightened tutor
2 Worship
2 Disenchant
1 Cave-in (only one we have :()
4 Thunderclap

Artifact
1 Distorting Lens

Basically, get Repercussion out and deal damage to all creatures (Repercussion deals equal amount to creature controller). With Pro red creatures and Mom to avoid this damage yourself. The mana curve is quite high with this deck and we need to keep it Type II, it's hard to lower the mana curve. Any thoughts would be appreciated. What do y'all think about using these instead;
Mask of Law and Grace
Grim Monolith
Defender of Law

If you used these cards, how many and which original cards would you replace?

Thanks y'all

D

Duel

I've seen a similar deck in play. Try these changes.

Lands
11 mountains
9 plains

Creatures
4 Shard Phoenix
4 Sanctum guardian

Spells
4 Tremor
4 Furnace of wrath
4 repercussion
4 enlightened Tutors
2 Worship
2 Disenchant
1 Cave-in (only one we have )
4 Thunderclap
4 Martyr's cause

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I think if you're packin' white anyway you should go for 4 ROP:Reds. You can always cycle the extras, and this way you'll not get "burned" when your pro-red creatures take non-red damage. If it doesn't have to be type 2 legal use Soltari Priests and/or super Paladins for faster, better beats. Mix in some 'quakes too, since your pro-red guys won't die from them and you'll be able to prevent the damage to yourself (hopefully).

I have a question though. How would the Furnaces in duel's deck interact with the Repercussion? Would there be a double-double effect on the damage since it's from 2 different sources, or would it be treated the same way they treated it with Ball Lightning?

Imagine a 2-point 'quake with your opponent having 2 creatures in play. It doubles to 4 points of damage to each, then double it to 8 from each through the Repercussion, plus the 4 coming in from the 'quake directly to your opponent. That's 20 points of damage for 3 mana!

Whoa.

I LIKE that idea! :cool:

And I think it would work in multi-player too...

TomB
CPA Member

D

Duel

No, repercussion/furnace doesn't double-double. But if you can imagine the opponent with one creature when you earthquake for five, they take twenty. One creature. Just one. And it does work in multiplayer. Also, both Shard phoenix and Sanctum guradian can be sacraficed as instants. Repercussion is not a threat to it's master.

[Edited by Duel (02-19-2000 at 12:46 AM).]

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, no, if you can sac your guys in response to it's activation, but it WILL damage you otherwise. I've never been that fond of saccing bought and paid for creatures unless the payoff is REALLY good!

It's too bad about the no double-double effect, though the way you describe it, it still works pretty good. I think I still like it! :D

TomB
CPA Member

C

ChasDen

Hello,

If play all red:
Turn 1 - I Play a Mountain - Play Mana Vault
Turn 2 - I Play a Mountain - Tap vault & 1 Mountain
Play mana flare & take mana burn of 1 on vault
Turn 3 - Tap 2 Mountains untap vault (costs 4 to untap) I Play a Mountain - Tap a Mountain - Play wall of razors (4/1 wall with first strike)
Turn 4 - I Play a Mountain (I now have 4 Mountains and the vault for a total of 11 manna) Tap 4 Mountains play both Repercussion and Furnace of Rath take mana burn of 1.
Turn 5 - I Play a Mountain - I now have the following in play:
5 Mountains
1 Mana Vault
1 Mana Flare
1 Furnace of Rath
1 Repercussion
1 Wall of Razors

Play Cave-In - “remove a red card in your hand from the game and play cave in for free. (deals 2 damage to each creature and each player). It is turn 5 and if your opponent has 1 creature in play he takes 8 damage
2 creatures in play he takes 12 damage
3 creatures in play he takes 16 damage
4 creatures in play he takes 20 damage
You have taken 2 damage from mana burn and had one creature in play so you took 8 damage from the cave-in. you are now at 10 life. After all resolves, I still have all my mana (10 mountains and 3 colorless) to finish the kill if need be. Stuff the rest of the deck with red burn, land destruction or something you can use along the way to stay alive if you don’t draw the cards you need. All you really need is the Repercussion and Furnace of Rath and something that does 2 or more damage to all creatures. Most “Kill decks” take 4 or more turns to work on a perfect draw. Play the right cards to keep you opponent in check and this deck will work more that 75% of the time. If you do not play the vault it just makes it possible to work on turn 5 same with the mana flare, but the flare is there to help your opponent get his creatures in play. Call it bait, and if you are up against a quick creature deck, use small goblins that you can use as blockers or sacrifice to do other things before you play the cave-in. The hard part to this deck is timing and patience. Keep close count and make sure it does not back fire on you. Also remember the mulligan rule and use it to get the initial draw you need.

Enjoy

D

Duel

Sounds like you guys can pump up the 'cussion deck! But I would keep sanctume guardians. They have the nice ability of being able to be sacrificed top prevent damage, so that cave-in deals you 0. That can be essential in a multi-player game, because playing this deck can end up being not unlike wearing a big target on you back. I do like the concept, I think that Mana flare will be perfect in that deck. I do approve of pariah, but they are expensive. The Martyr's causes are the poor-man's version. Plus shard phoenix has the recursion ability and a built-in steam blast for chuck's suggestion.

[Edited by Duel (02-19-2000 at 11:08 PM).]

C

Captain Caveman

Duel,

Would your version of the deck work if you
replaced the following cards, with these?

4 Sanctum guardian (w/Cho-Manno)

4 Martyr's cause (w/Pariah)

4 Tremor (w/Pyroclasm or Steam Blast)

Well anyway, just some thoughts.

C

Captain Caveman

About my suggestions.........

If I understand things correctly, you would
enchant Cho-Manna with the Pariah than NONE
of the DAMAGE will effect you.

I think that is right. Of course you would
have to get this combo out and that may not
be worth the trouble.

On a side note, General's Regalia would have
a similiar effect, if Cho-Manna is in play.

Just some more random thoughts!

G

Gumby Khan

Thank you all for the responses! My friend tweaked it to be all red and the only creatures were Ghitu Encampments. He put in Aether Flashes, Thran Dynamos, Voltaic Key and other direct damage. This looked good on paper and worked well in play-testing, but very weak against white weenie. Long story short, he went to the tourney and lost every match. That's okay, because he still walked out with a booby-prize worth about $15.00 and the entry fee was $10.00! :)

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit.
But those who never win AND never quit are idiots."
-Confucious during the period when he experimented with opium... :)

O

Ophidian

A friend of mine had a creatureless fault line/reper deck that was almost unbeaten. My suggestion is to put in some fault lines and if your feelin' lucky, toss in a couple flame waves. hehe

"This should be interesting.."

G

Gumby Khan

Good advice, thanks. He still plays it when we get together and play multiplayer, but everyone gangs up on him immediately, because we know what that deck will do to us. :)

"Tap 4 mountains, Aether Flash."
"Oh, no, it's reper-crushin!! Somebody disenchat that before it's too late!"