Reorganizition

Ferret

Staff member
I think I have an idea for some reorganization of the topic titles: don't move anything. Instead, how about renaming them?

We could use Political Discussions for Rants & Issues (that would be a good name) and Off Topic we could use for light discussions.

I know this is how things are, but if we get a serious topic that has nothing to do w/ politics we could leave it in the serious forum. The old Off Topic section could be for lighter discussions like Tv, Movie, Sports, etc.

-Ferret

"...just more random thoughts..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Who's to say whether TV/Movies/whatever is serious or light? ;)

Look at you with all this change... why couldn't it have gone towards making this a gaming site? :)

I am leaning towards leaving things the way they are :eek: just because political topics seem to polarize people more than any other. That's why I made it in the first place at the request of some people; it was poisoning the Off-Topic forum. If we expand it to general Rants and whatnot, I think it will again poison the forum for those who would still want to talk about other "serious" stuff.

N

Nightstalkers

Howabout shoving the general gaming forum into the games run by CPA members? Then you'd have all of the gaming fun together in one big forum.

J

Jigglypuff

Originally posted by Nightstalkers
Howabout shoving the general gaming forum into the games run by CPA members? Then you'd have all of the gaming fun together in one big forum.
We actually had just a "General Gaming" forum that took care of all the gaming needs. Then we made a new forum called "Games Run By CPA Members" and put all of the game threads into it.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It was because (and kinda still is), at the time, the Games Run were taking up the majority of the threads in General Gaming and people were having trouble sifting through the non-Games Run threads.

N

Nightstalkers

:yawn: Sometimes I feel that my sarcasm is lost on you guys...

N

Nightstalkers

*Looks in Spidermans ear...*

"There it is!"

*Nightstalkers' Sarcasm escapes through open forum door.*

J

Jigglypuff

The reason we can't tell when you're being sarcastic is because you don't use those cute smilies and you don't do something clever like this: "[/sarcasm]". ;)

(- Steve -)

N

Nightstalkers

What the !!!!

[Supercalafragalisticexpialadotiously sarcastic] Kill the Pokemon!!![/Supercalafragalisticexpialadotiously sarcastic]

Wait, that doesn't seem to be spelled right...

T

train

It's "Super-calla-fragi-listic-ixpy-ali-docious"...

"That, from the Poppins authority...":p

N

Nightstalkers

Its all over the hill with this reorganization if you ask me...

Organ :D

But thats the opinion of somebody with a problem with their... scruples?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
My opinion about reorganization is that most of the Magic topics should be collapsed into just a handful. Voting and Storyline could go into General, Single Card could go back into Decks or General, and Magic Issues could stay the same. Homemade Cards are iffy; they could be separate or go into General.

:)

N

Nightstalkers

You could let it be and add more forums under the old ones...

or i could submit some stupid idea to Ed...

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Nightstalkers
You could let it be and add more forums under the old ones...

or i could submit some stupid idea to Ed...
This is what I've been suggesting all along...I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I want the primary focus of this site to remain Magic. If we become just another gaming site then our activity will not just drop, it will PLUMMET. Sure, there will be a nice spike at the beginning, but soon we will be dead. Ed's efforts will all be for naught and the dreams of myself and the rest of the Founders will be washed into obscurity...

...when I play MTGO, I get at least one person a session asking "So, what is the CPA" and I suggest they visit the site. I've also had a few people say what a great job we're doing promoting Casual Magic. BTW, the term "Casual Playing" didn't exist until we came along. In that part alone we have earned a spot in Magic History.

...we have always been the voice of the "Silent Majority". If we change to just general gaming, we will just be another site w/ a bunch of fanboy/fangirls boasting about how much we love playing Warcraft 3...

-Ferret

"I'll keep saying it until either I die or Magic is officially taken out of print: CHANGE IS BAD! "

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
We're always going to butt heads at this ... ;)

No offense, but if you want this site to remain primarily Magic, I think there ought to be more activity in the Magic forums on your part. Otherwise, it just looks like you want to keep it Magic for some unfathomable reason.

You say someone on MTGO asks what the CPA is and you suggest they visit. Where are they? They might visit but they sure aren't posting. That's pretty much the same thing as getting a "spike when general gaming and then die off".

I don't see how this site is going to "die off", you've still got the (few) core people who are going to stay around. In fact, you may get some of the old ones like Rando back because they can post articles about other games.

BTW, the term "Casual Playing" didn't exist until we came along
How do you know this?

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Spiderman

How do you know this?
History: In the early days before our forums were up there was the Dojo forums. We passed around the term Casual Player as a way to distinguish ourselves from the Pro Tour players. Durring that time one of WotC's product developement people was frequenting the forum and even told us that she was paying close attention to what we "casual players" were talking about. Our site went up, and within the next year WotC started using the term Casual Player....it might just be coincidence - just like the new layout being just like Yu-Gi-Oh's...

-Ferret

"...looking back, we should have copywrited the term...we'd be rich!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I was there and that's not how I remember it. "Casual" players have always been around and the term has been used before; this group was just the first (perhaps) to use it as part of a formal organization. But I don't see any hard data that the CPA "coined" it first or that WOTC started using it after this site went up; before the DCI, pretty much everyone was "casual".

N

Nightstalkers

"...looking back, we should have copywrited the term...we'd be rich!"
Looking back I could have made alittle if I were to patent microwelding and other such products but the past is the past and whats done is done.

I don't see anything else in the future of this site except more squabling b/w the moderators and small experiments ending in failure because of low hits...

I try to do the Nightstalkers part by visiting the site everyday even though I do some web publishing myself. (I'll have a picture posted in the testing forum to see what my thing looks like.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with squabbling... we just love the site so much that we want it to improve, but we have different ideas on how to achieve it :)