Really Rare Rares?

Killer Joe

a.k.a. Ultra-Rares!

How's come I have three Mind's Eye, four Loxodon Punisher and zip Chrome Mox or A-Ravagers?

Wouldn't the theory of equal distribution dictate that I could have an equal amount of any of the rares based on the number of packs I've opened?

~or~

Has WizCo come up with an unequal distribution formula?

Dear WizCo,
You suck!

~Mark

M

Mr_Pestilence

I agree. I have seen the same thing with boxes since Ice Age. All rares are theoretically PRINTED in the same number, but I think some of them are held back in the early distribution, to encourage more pack hunting.

In the later releases, the previously withheld rares are included, so the person opening the pack thinks they've found an easter egg of goodies, which also encourages more pack ripping.

I love it when the distributor manipulates the market, don't you?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it's quite as conspiracy-like as that... ;)

I haven't really noticed the distribution out of whack until Mirrodin, where I didn't even get some uncommons in a box. My theory is that starting with Mirrodin, perhaps they went to a new distribution scheme that skews it a little. I don't know if it's on the scale as the original Legends distribution, but since I don't go to any other Magic forums, I don't know if it's been raised elsewhere.

T

train

It's a gripe the consumer will always have, when they don't know what the product is...

"Life... sucks at times... blows at others...":eek:

:p

(I'm personally not happy with the distribution - that's one reason I've gone to buying more singles lately...)

N

Notepad

Buying packs is such a raw deal, anyway. I say, there's a way to have everything else all the people you envy have, while keeping them from having the fun stuff. Just steal. If you steal all their cards, then you have the top decks for free and they have to buy new stuff. But, you'll just be waiting to steal whatever good they open up. I hope they enjoy their Brown Ouphe deck! Because, um...wait...

Stealing is wrong, isn't it? Well, in that case, just kill them. Then take their cards. It isn't stealing since the dead no longer have claim to posessions.

Problem solved.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killing can't be wrong, because my Serra Angel killed, and she's a nice lady. Stealing is wrong, but look at it this way, the cards are joining you and betraying their former owner, like Treachery!

I

Istanbul

Always remember, boys and girls:

Devour the flesh of your fallen enemies to gain their power!

N

Nightstalkers

One of the oddest things I've found so far is the fact that I've been getting more green rares than any other color from the darksteel packs.

13/15 packs I recently purchased through the system gave me various rares and even a few duplicates of green cards...

Is this a sign from god, or even the almighty jebus, to change my ways and go to the power of greenishment?

Naaa, I'm just getting screwed over by my bad luck again.

R

Rooser

No, Spidey, it's been for longer than Mirrodin. Onslaught was terrible too. So was Odyssey. Oh, and Inavasion. Since Hasbro, in other words.

However, I think it also depends on how you're buying the packs.

Many sets have a "pack order" that you can sometimes find online. There's actually a semi-complicated convention, (And I'm serious about this), for figuring out which rare is in which pack. You have to open a few packs, but then you can guess what's in the other packs before you even open them. This allows everybody from card stores to people who sell packs online to make sure you never pull any money rares from the unopened packs they sell you. They horde the packs with good rares in them and make a killing on singles. It's hard to do, and not everybody does it, either for ethical reason or because it takes a lot of effort, but it happens.

I think if you're good at it, you can even anticipate what's in each box. So even if you buy cards by the box, you might be getting a less-than-average group of boxes. If you bouhgt boxes by the case, then you're probably going to see an even distribution. Otherwise, the forces of capitalism are probably working against you.

I

Istanbul

This is true. Not a rumor.

There's a reason I don't buy packs.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I didn't notice it quite as much in Legions or Scourge, my previous box purchases. I mean, I got at least 2-3 of all the uncommons...

Mirrodin though, like I said, didn't get a couple uncommons outright. THAT was weird.

However, I got a couple of Mirrodin packs for Christmas and one had a foil Chrome Mox. Maybe my wife should have bought the box :p

T

train

It all depends on where you buy your cards...

Since a shop I visited (thanks to spidey) does nothing with singles - then there is no capitalist tampering going on...

In a shop that really sells singles, there is more of that possibility...

All it really boils down to is where you shop...

"Wal-Mart - same MSRP - guaranteed no capitalist tampering with their Magic packs..."

And if stealing is wrong - then you all shouldn't be playing blue!...

N

Notepad

Wal Mart is the devil.

And killing is only wrong if you waste the carcass. I prefer to make a funny hat out of their skin. More eco-friendly, that way.

M

mythosx

Hey im a little late in this post... but i picked up a few chrome moxes and im wondering where all my other rares are... I play casually only so i really have no need for 4 chrome moxes...other than to rub it in to other players who want 4....

hey... what a second...

Im rubbing it in now. tee hee.

I

Istanbul

/me stabs mythosx in the face and steals his Chrome Moxes.

Never hold a red cape in front of a bull. Especially an Istanbull.

T

train

Why not trade the moxen and get some stuff you really want?...

Now is the best time to do it with regionals coming up and the moxen being strong in ravinity...