Read this!!!

A

arhar

Oh man.. I just went to www.mtgnews.com and read that WOTC is announcing new program.. Friday Night magic!!! It's designed specifically for casual players!!! Could that be that my dreams came true, at least partially??

Ferret

Staff member
It looks like a nice idea, but I don't see it lasting that long. I've never liked the idea of the DCI controlling casual play. It's like the NBA trying to regulate guys shooting hoops at the YMCA or Major League Baseball trying to tell little leaguers how to play.

After reading that article I know exactly why WotC/DCI is doing this: the Pro Tour is getting less participation and The DCI is trying to get more Casual Players to come to tourneys. You try to snag them w/ "casual tournaments" (an oxymoron, if I ever heard one) and hope they keep coming back to play in the REAL tourneys (PTQ's, etc).

Since all of these things will be held in stores it's safe to assume you'll have to pay to enter these casual tourneys. Everyone that enters will have DCI numbers and will actually be putting their ratings on the line (of course, if we're casual we won't care). While playing we'll be forced to go w/ strict DCI rules - of course, rules lawyers will probably be shot on sight. It's just not adding up.

It sounds good enough - especialy if you're not in a regular group - but it looks more like a cheap marketting ploy to me...

-ferret

"...of course, I'm just paranoid..."

[Edited by Ferret (02-02-2000 at 08:43 AM).]

S

Shadowfire

This could be a good thing. If its stays out fo the DCI's hands.

C

Chaos Turtle

A note of irony:

For now, at least, only the "premier stores" will receive the prize support for the Friday Night Magic Tournaments. If you want one, you'd better make sure that your local shop is a Premier Store.

I live in an itty-bitty town with (believe it or not) three regular sellers, but exactly zero Premier Stores. Oh, well...

Looks like, if I want a foil River Boa, I'm gonna have to go to Atlanta or pay whatever they're gouging them for off the net.

Ferret

Staff member
The problem is that when I see WotC and sponspored tourneys I see the DCI. I think it sounds nice on paper, but time will tell if I'm right about it being just more clever marketting on their part...

-ferret

"...You mean they're just buying cards? We must figure out a way to scam more cash from them..."

C

Chaos Turtle

No need to wait, Ferret; you're right.

I just wish they'd make it available to any shop, not just the 'premier' shops.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Which gets back to my point about how they should support the local stores better.

Unbelievable. :(

TomB
CPA Member

N

Nightstalkers

Okay, read the article first...

I see nothing....

WotC is in their tournaments, all's right with the world...

Killer Joe

You know, way back in late summer of 1981 I said, "That M-TV crap won't last six months!"

Anyone have a napkin to wipe the egg off my face? :eek:

N

Nightstalkers

Like I said:

WotC is in their tournaments, all's right with the world