Ransac # 81

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Jan 1, 2003.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

I attack with Thresher Beast and I have a Grand melee in play. My opponent controls 3 untapped benalish hero and has 6 lands. How many lands will my opponent have to sacrifice?

Grand Melee
    Color= Red Type= Enchantment Cost= 3R ON(R)
    Text (ON): All creatures attack each turn if able. ; All creatures block each turn if able.

Thresher Beast
    Color= Green Type= Creature - Beast Cost= 3GG PY(C)
    Text (PY): 4/4. ; Whenever ~this~ becomes blocked, defending player sacrifices a land

Benalish Hero
    Color= White Type= Creature - Hero Cost= W A(C)/B(C)/U(C)/R(C)/4(C)/5(C) Text (4th/5th): 1/1, Banding
  2. Ransac CPA Trash Man

I GET TO QUOTE THE RULES ON THIS ONE!!!!

You sac 3 lands, one for each creature that blocked thresher beast.

502.10f Banding doesn’t cause attacking creatures to share abilities, nor does it remove any abilities. The attacking creatures in a band are separate permanents.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Ooo... I could see this going at least two ways...

But I say 1, as the defending player could band the Heros together to form a single block.

Edit After looking: Man, I need to brush up on banding. Apparently you don't declare banding while blocking.

But I think the rule Ransac quoted doesn't apply here; what he quoted was for attackers and the Heros are blocking ;) But I agree that the end result is 3 lands sacrificed.
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

I believe the end result is one...

All blockers are declared at the same time... but the beast is only considered "blocked" once...

It's in the combat rules for blocking...;)
  5. EricBess Active Member

train is correct. You quoted the wrong rule, Ransac. A creature can only "become blocked" once.

There is another template for "whenever a creature is blocked...", but I'm fairly certain that anything with this template also specifies, "...for each creature blocking it."
  6. BigBlue Magic Jones

I say one, because regardless of how many creatures block it, you only block it once.