Ransac #79

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Dec 8, 2002.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

My opponent has a horde of weenies in play, all 3/3s. I have a Sneak Attack and Astral slide in play. I activate and resolve the Sneak putting a Crater Hellion into play after he declares attackers. Combat Resolves. During my opponent's end step I cycle a card and use the slide to remove the Hellion from the game. Will I have to pay echo? When?

Sneak Attack
    Color= Red Type= Enchantment Cost= 3R US(R)
    Text (US+errata): {R}: Put a creature card from your hand into play. That creature gains haste until end of turn. Sacrifice the creature at end of turn. [Oracle 1999/05/01]

Astral Slide
    Color= White Type= Enchantment Cost= 2W ON(U)
    Text (ON): Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the game. If you do, return that creature to play under its owner's control at end of turn.

Crater Hellion
    Color= Red Type= Creature - Beast Cost= 4RR US(R)
    Text (US): 6/6. ; Echo. ; When ~this~ comes into play, it deals 4 damage to each other creature.
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Yes, you will have to pay echo. You won't pay until your next turn after the one you are about to take. Since the Hellion won't be in play for the turn you are about to take, you won't have to pay echo. When you declare the end of your turn, the Hellion will come back. Your opponent will take his turn, and then you will take a turn and you will have to echo the Hellion (unless you Slide it out again during your opponent's end step).

(- Steve -)
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

First, I wouldn't call 3/3 "weenies :) Second, I must have had a lot of life points or blockers to survive "a horde" attacking :)

Anyway, the Hellion comes back into play at the end of the next turn, which happens to be MY turn. As such, I won't have to pay echo until my next upkeep after that, meaning my opponent gets another turn:

Current End of Turn Step
    My Turn (Hellion comes into play at end)
    Opponent's Turn
    My Turn (now pay echo if still in play)
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

You survive the attack because of the Hellion - you never had to worry about survival...

And maybe our old friend Coat had just been played...

Anything's possible when you conjure up Rules questions while drinking Fizzle!!!...;)
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

"Each other creature..." :rolleyes:
  6. train The Wildcard!!!...

Personally - I still run a Sneaky Deck and Hellion is a staple...

;)