Ransac #43

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Oct 9, 2002.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

If my opponent plays Balance and I have a Karmic Justice in play, can I then destroy a permanent of theirs for each of my lands that went to the graveyard?

Balance
    Color= White Type= Sorcery Cost= 1W A(R)/B(R)/U(R)/R(R)/4(R)
    Text (4th+errata): Except the player who controls the fewest lands, each player sacrifices lands until all players control the same number of lands as the player who controls the fewest. Players do the same for creatures and discard cards from their hands the same way. [Oracle 2001/08/24]

Karmic Justice
    Color= White Type= Enchantment Cost= 2W OD(R)
    Text (OD): Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls destroys a noncreature permanent you control, you may destroy target permanent that opponent controls
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

No

3. BigBlue Magic Jones

Seeing as how the K.J. says destroy, no. Balance doesn't destroy anything...

Now if they activate a disk, you could take their lands (or regenerators)
  4. EricBess Active Member

Sacred Ground
    {1}{W}
    Enchantment
    Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls causes a land to be put into your graveyard from play, return that land to play.

Karmic Justice
    {2}{W}
    Enchantment
    Whenever a spell or ability an opponent controls destroys a noncreature permanent you control, you may destroy target permanent that opponent controls.

I guess I would have to agree, then. It will trigger Sacred Ground, but not Karmic Justice.
  5. Ransac CPA Trash Man

No, because he didn't destroy them. You're sacrificing them.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  6. train The Wildcard!!!...

It actually comes down to the definitions of destroy and sarifice...

Destroy
    To destroy a permanent is to move it from the in-play zone to its owner’s graveyard. Regeneration or other destruction-replacement effects can replace this action. See rule 419, “Replacement and Prevention Effects.”

Sacrifice
    To sacrifice a permanent, its controller moves it from the in-play zone directly to its owner’s graveyard. If an effect instructs a player to sacrifice a permanent that he or she doesn’t control, nothing happens. Sacrificing a permanent doesn’t destroy it, so regeneration or other effects that replace destruction can’t affect it.

The bolded clause is the only real thing separating the two...

That said - you all were right...