Ransac #33

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Oct 8, 2002.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

There is a Standstill in play and my opponent tries to Disenchant it. I respond by playing Counterspell targeting the disenchant. Who will draw the cards?

Standstill
    Color= Blue Type= Enchantment Cost= 1U OD(U)
    Text (OD): When a player plays a spell, sacrifice ~this~. If you do, then each of that player's opponents draws three cards.

Disenchant
    Color= White Type= Instant Cost= 1W A(C)/B(C)/U(C)/R(C)/4(C)/5(C)/6(C)/7(C)/IA(C)/MI(C)/TE(C)/US(C)/MM(C)/AT(F1)/BR(F1)
    Text (5th/6th/7th/US/MM): Destroy target artifact or enchantment.

Counterspell
    Color= Blue Type= Instant Cost= UU A(U)/B(U)/U(U)/R(U)/4(U)/5(C)/6(C)/7(C)/ST(U)/IA(C)/TE(C)/MM(C)/BR(F1)/BD(F1)
    Text (4th/5th/6th/7th/IA/TE/MM): Counter target spell.
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Your opponent will. Here's what the stack would look like:

Your opponent play the Disenchant. The Standstill triggers and goes on the stack.

Standstill
    Disenchant

You play Counterspell. Standstill triggers again.

Standstill
    Counterspell
    Standstill
    Disenchant

Assuming nothing else happens, the Standstill ability will resolve. The Standstill is sacrificed and your opponent will draw 3 cards. Counterspell will resolve and counter the Disenchant. The other Standstill ability will resolve, but since you cannot sac the Standstill, nothing will happen.

(- Steve -)
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Your opponent still gets to draw the cards because once he played the Disenchant, Standstill triggered and went on the stack.
  4. BigBlue Magic Jones

You would, or your opponent would, depending on how you play it.

Disenchant goes on stack, Standstill triggers. Now, if you counter the disenchant, the standstill will go on the stack, but you could allow standstill to resolve, then counter the disenchant (but there wouldn't be any point, since it counters itself (standstill would be gone at that point from sacrifice).

It would make more sense if it were Tranquility and you had another enchantment you didn't want to lose.

I learned this the hard way on Magic Online... Many times I'd counter their spell too early, thus giving them the cards.
  5. Ransac CPA Trash Man

Your opponent, who PLAYED the disenchant first, gets to draw the cards.

Ransac, cpa trash man