Ransac #23

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Oct 4, 2002.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

I have Shambling Swarm in play. My opponent has Wild Mongrel and Beloved Chaplain in play. I play Innocent Blood. I choose to sacrifice Shambling Swarm and my opponent chooses Mongrel. On resolution can I place the -1/-1 counters on Chaplain? Does the Protection from Creatures prevent this, or, because the Shambling Swarm is now a creature card in the graveyard, it doesn't?

Shambling Swarm
    Color= Black Type= Creature - Horror Cost= 1BBB TO(R)
    Text (TO): 3/3. ; When ~this~ is put into a graveyard from play, distribute three -1/-1 counters among one, two, or three target creatures. Remove those counters at end of turn

Wild Mongrel
    Color= Green Type= Creature - Hound Cost= 1G OD(C)
    Text (OD): 2/2. ; Discard a card from your hand: ~this~ gets +1/+1 and becomes the color of your choice until end of turn.

Beloved Chaplain
    Color= White Type= Creature - Cleric Cost= 1W OD(U)
    Text (OD): 1/1, Protection from Creatures
  2. Ransac CPA Trash Man

I believe you cannot, because(and please correct me if I am wrong) it is a triggered effect generated from a creature, and the effect targets. So, I don't believe the counters do anything.

Ransac, cpa trash man
  3. train The Wildcard!!!...

You are correct... The reason this occurs is because the trigger"looks" back to just before the event happened and recognizes that it is created by a creature...

Same as with a WoG. Triggers activated "remember" where they came from.
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Shambling Swarm still counts as a creature since the game looks at "it" before it leaves play, so the Chaplain's Protection will prevent him from being targeted.