Ransac #20

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by train, Oct 2, 2002.

1. train The Wildcard!!!...

I have a Sylvan Safekeeper in play.
    My opponent plays Repulse targeting the Safekeeper.
    I sac. a land in response, making Safekeeper untargetable.
    Does my opponent still get to draw a card?

Sylvan Safekeeper
    Color= Green Type= Creature - Wizard Cost= G JU(R)
    Text (JU): 1/1. ; Sacrifice a land: Target creature you control can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn.

Repulse
    Color= Blue Type= Instant Cost= 2U IN(C)
    Text (IN): Return target creature to its owner's hand. ; Draw a card
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yes. Drawing a card is not a condition of successfully returning the creature to its owners hand.
  3. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

train, you didn't wait!:D

Sorry, Spidey, but you are wrong. When the Repulse resolves, it's target is no longer legal and so it is countered upon resolution. You don't get to draw a card.

(- Steve -)
  4. EricBess Active Member

What card are you talking about? Why would you get to draw a card if your opponent cast Repulse?
  5. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Well, you see, Eric, it's like this. train had cast a Plagarize before all of this Repulse nonsense. He just forgot to mention it. Silly train!:D

(- Steve -)
  6. train The Wildcard!!!...

Right, ummm..... I forgot the plagiarize... which still wouldn't happen.... original post is now edited....
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

:)

How is this different again from that other blue spell that you can cast and some of it works? I can't remember the name of it... either it stops kicker or with the kicker it does something? Hopefully you know what I'm talking about :rolleyes: 'cause I sure don't :)
  8. EricBess Active Member

Probably Jilt.

The difference is that Repulse only has one target. If you play Jilt with Kicker, it has two targets.

If ALL targets are invalid when the spell resolves, then the spell is countered on resolution.

For example, suppose Repulse said "Return target creature to it's owner's hand. Target player draws a card." Under that hypothetical wording, you would be targeting yourself (ala Deep Analysis) and you would still get to draw a card.

However, the card drawing is incidental and the spell must resolve (not be countered) in order to draw the card.

If, in the case of Jilt, some targets are illegal on resolution but others aren't, the spell will resolve as well as possible with the remaining targets.
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

I'll state this may seem a little confusing because the wording you're looking at is separated on the card making it look like 2 separate available resolutions... but such is not the case....
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

No, now that I'm thinking about it, it's that red spell that can't be countered and then your opponent plays some blue spell that counters and he draws a card. I guess since the red spell is still a legal target for the blue spell, the opponent is allowed to draw a card despite not being able to counter the spell.

But this wouldn't work if the red spell was somehow made untargetable, correct?
  11. Ransac CPA Trash Man

No, the Repulse, no longer with a legal target, fizzles, so.....NO DRAWING OF A CARD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Ransac, cpa trash man
  12. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Spidey, you're thinking of Urza's Rage and the blue counterspell that you are thinking of is probably Dismiss.

Urza's Rage
    {2}{R}
    Instant
    Kicker {8}{R} #(You may pay an additional #{8}{R}# as you play this spell.)#
    Urza's Rage can't be countered by spells or abilities.
    Urza's Rage deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you paid the kicker cost, instead Urza's Rage deals 10 damage to that creature or player and the damage can't be prevented.

Dismiss
    {2}{U}{U}
    Instant
    Counter target spell.
    Draw a card.

You're correct, the Rage is still a legal target for the Dismiss. It just fails to do anything since the Rage cannot be countered.

Everyone should get this right, but...

Let's say I had a new card like this:

Stickyfoot Badger
    2GG
    11/11
    Trample
    G: If ~this~ would leave play this turn, it remains in play instead.

If my opponent targeted the Badger with a Repulse and I activated its ability in response, would my opponent still draw a card?

(- Steve -)
    This is my 500th post. I am now in the 500 Club.
  13. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Because the Badger is a legal target so the Repulse isn't countered on resolution!

Did I get it?
  14. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

Yes, you got it Spidey. The Badger is still a legal target for the Repulse, even though the Repulse didn't do anything upon resolution.

Did everyone notice how I made the Badger extremely broken?

(- Steve -)
  15. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Unless you just edited it to say 11/11, I thought it was 1/1 :p
  16. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

No, I edited it after I made the original post. It was originally 7/7, no trample, and had "G: ~This~ cannot return to it's owner's hand this turn."

(- Steve -)