Rakdos Augermage ruling??

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Force of Will Smith, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Force of Will Smith New Member

I was wondering if either of these worked..

I want to use rakdos augermage to attempt to trigger card's like psychic purge, guerilla tactics, metrognome, the golem etc etc...

is his ability considered to be an opponent controlled effect? and if not.. what about scandalmonger... seeing as how they originally paid 2 to use the ability...
    or maybe donating an anvil of bogardan, or bottomless pit..

cause if so its pretty sweet to pay 6 in a turn to dump your opponents hand, even if they know exactly what you're doing
  2. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

How I read into it your augermage wouldn't trigger it because while the opponent is making you discard, the ability is controlled by "player" (meaning you) since you are the one using the augermage. If the "opponent" had used it and you discarded one of the mentioned cards, you'd be able to use it's effect.

As for Scandalmonger, the card may be controlled by you but your opponent controls the stacked ability if they use it. So yes, the card would trigger if an opponent used Scandalmonger to make you discard one of the cards mentioned.
  3. orgg Administrator

Whomever controls the ability on the stack is who "controls" the effect.

An opponent using Scandalmonger works, but Augermage you did yourself.

So Nightstalkers is correct.
  4. Force of Will Smith New Member

NICE!!! i think i could make a consistent deck with

donate
    legerderman

forbidden crypt
    bronze bombshell

Chain of smog
    Scandal monger

psychic purge, dodecapod, metrognome, sand golem

chain of smog i think would work as well... on turn 2 a foolish opponent could give me 2 5/5's :D
  5. Limited Yes, but we won't care

You also need Mangara's Blessing. That card totally rocks with a Donated Anvil of Bogardan.
  6. Force of Will Smith New Member

i thought about doing that.. but if i dont get my discard, its a dead card :('

at least the blue and black one i can cast.
  7. Limited Yes, but we won't care

I had a You-make-me-discard deck which was BURW actually...

I had a lot of fun with it until it got *ughed* by my playgroup.. So I took it apart.
    I think the discard made it unfun to play against.

edit: my point was, you can splash little bit of white if you want to be able to play the Mangara's Blessings.. but you'll rarely have to :)
  8. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Problem with your deck is gettin' your opponent to make you discard. The entire thing is based upon whether your opponent catches onto the fact that you want him or her to dump your "goodies."
  9. Limited Yes, but we won't care

Not really... you can only expect your opponent to fall for it once, but the main idea is that after that happens you use otherwise symmetrical cards like Scandalmonger and Chain of Smog to destroy your opponent's hand..
  10. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Hand destruction isn't all that reliable. Remember the lesson of the U/B Megrim deck Vs. the white weenie.