Raging Goblin Sucks

N

Notepad

Originally posted by Oversoul
There are worse cards... :rolleyes:
*cough* ELVES! *cough*

"People who play elves are Homoh, with an H at the end for emphasis." -Victor Q, a sliver player I know...

J

jorael

Hehe, there are worse gobbo's indeed.

I had a mirrodin block constructed goblins deck with 4x Crazed goblin :D The concept of a lot of cheap creatures, mana curve, equipment and burn can go a long way (slight, RDW, whatever). Yes, I did lose some games with the deck. But I also killed a player with a crazed goblin and that is something very memorable :cool:

TheCasualOblivion what's your point? To proof you're the Sherlock Holmes of magic?!

If yes, you didn't succeed. Just letting you know.....

I

Istanbul

Crazed Goblin. Worst one-drop goblin EVER. 'Nuff said.

But yeah, after the turn in which you drop Raging Goblin, he's just a Mons's Goblin Raiders. Not the most efficient goblin ever. Me, I'll stick with Mogg Fanatic in my one-slot.

T

TheCasualOblivion

I wasn't aware I needed a point

If YOU really need one, I guess this is just me making a snide comment on people who put more stock into 1 drops than I feel should be the case, especially those who can't tell which ones are good and which aren't

otherwise...
ELVES?

G

Gizmo

Raging Goblin is weak, but becomes far more valid when played alongside Mogg Flunkies. Raging Goblin goes from 2-star to 3-star, and adds another half-star onto Mogg Flunkies when they're in the same deck together.

J

jorael

Originally posted by TheCasualOblivion
I wasn't aware I needed a point

otherwise...
ELVES?
Uhm, ofcourse you don't need one, but I expected you to have a reason to call people using raging goblin morons. Some kind of repressed trauma concerning the creature or something. But that is not the case it seems :)

SeFRo and his elves however.....

T

TheCasualOblivion

Originally posted by Gizmo
Raging Goblin is weak, but becomes far more valid when played alongside Mogg Flunkies. Raging Goblin goes from 2-star to 3-star, and adds another half-star onto Mogg Flunkies when they're in the same deck together.
it is still 1 power, requiring 20 attacks to deal 20 damage.

As for the flunkies, they cost 2. I go with hasters that cost 3, like Ronin Houndmaster or Goblin Warchief. Much better than the goblin

I

Istanbul

Also, since the Flunkies themselves don't have haste, any other one-drop Goblin is equally effective in helping them get their swing on.

Making Raging Goblin STILL strictly inferior to Mogg Fanatic, one of the only worthwhile one-drop goblins.

N

Notepad

You mean none of you guys pack the classic goodie Goblins of the Flarg in your decks?!?! :eek: Wow...just, wow.

Or better yet, Dwarven Trader? I know it doesn't look like a goblin, but it sure does act like one. And, to stress my point further, it gets around goblin hate! Foothill Guide? Don't think so, cleric boy! Tividar's Crusade, Engineered Plague. NOT BLOODY LIKELY! Ping with a dwarf! Hah!

But, we really must work on a new crusade...

DEATH TO STUPID STINKING ELVES!!!

T

TheCasualOblivion

Originally posted by Istanbul
Also, since the Flunkies themselves don't have haste, any other one-drop Goblin is equally effective in helping them get their swing on.

Making Raging Goblin STILL strictly inferior to Mogg Fanatic, one of the only worthwhile one-drop goblins.
There are very few worthile one-drops period. Its weird that Goblins have so many:

Mogg Fanatic--Always good
Goblin Cadets--Very good in a deck with 20+ burn cards
Goblin Lackey--add ringleader, Siege gang commander and reckless one to taste
Goblin Taskmaster--A step down from those three
Akki Avalanchers--Good if its the only thing that kills land in your deck, and you can afford the lost land
Goblin Sledder--I find no use for it, but I've heard this card gets used.

Any of the above would easily be superior to Raging Goblin, which is one of the reasons the card sucks as much as it does in my opinion. Six superior 1cc Goblins.

R

Reverend Love

Festering Goblin is great one drop.

There's a lot of quality one drops. Not necessarily great beatsticks but utility creatures like Birds of Paradise, Llanowar Elves, Mother of Runes, Soul Warden, etc.

D

DÛke

I have yet to see something as maddening as Mother of Runes. As a Black player, I hated her with a passion. I packed 4 of her in every white deck at the time though. :D

I

Istanbul

Yeah, Festering Goblin is some good, but he's not reliable enough for a goblin deck; you can't always be sure you're going to have black mana, not without risking the (scant but real) possibility that you won't have red mana. It's not worth the risk.

And yes, Mother of Runes is ungodly strong...but what does she have to do with goblins?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
She doesn't. The topic got turned to "best one-drops".

Originally posted by SeFRo
Or better yet, Dwarven Trader? I know it doesn't look like a goblin, but it sure does act like one. And, to stress my point further, it gets around goblin hate! Foothill Guide? Don't think so, cleric boy! Tividar's Crusade, Engineered Plague. NOT BLOODY LIKELY! Ping with a dwarf! Hah!
That's right! Go dwarves! BOO-YAH!

:D

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by Istanbul
And yes, Mother of Runes is ungodly strong...but what does she have to do with goblins?
I think Mom was a popular use against Festering Goblins "leaving play" ability. I could see how it could be pretty annoying...

-Ferret

"What was the name of those Goblins that weren't Goblins from The Dark? Horrible card..."

R

Reverend Love

Goblins of the Flarg?
Goblin Hero?

Thats all that comes to mind.

The worst goblin card I can think of is Goblin Artisans out of Legends.

G

Gizmo

The Raging Goblin/Flunkies thing assumes that they'll be killing your creatures in some way. A Rager can activate some Flunkies who don't have a friend a turn earlier, and avoid sorcery removal or removal vs a tapped out opponent.

The Flunkies/Raging Goblin synergy is legitimate I feel. I played it in the Rathi Sligh deck that qualified 100% of the players who used it for the Pro Tour, ahead of Mogg Raider. Raider is strictly speaking by far the better creature, but Raging Goblin was better in the deck for the synergy with Flunkies. If Flunkies had been Ironcloaw Orcs, Raging Goblin wouldn't have been in.

Originally posted by Reverend Love
Goblins of the Flarg?
Goblin Hero?

Thats all that comes to mind.

The worst goblin card I can think of is Goblin Artisans out of Legends.
Goblin Chirurgeon? At least the Artisans can swing for damage, whereas the Chirurgeon is almost an overcosted Kobold.

T

TheCasualOblivion

Originally posted by Gizmo
The Raging Goblin/Flunkies thing assumes that they'll be killing your creatures in some way. A Rager can activate some Flunkies who don't have a friend a turn earlier, and avoid sorcery removal or removal vs a tapped out opponent.

The Flunkies/Raging Goblin synergy is legitimate I feel. I played it in the Rathi Sligh deck that qualified 100% of the players who used it for the Pro Tour, ahead of Mogg Raider. Raider is strictly speaking by far the better creature, but Raging Goblin was better in the deck for the synergy with Flunkies. If Flunkies had been Ironcloaw Orcs, Raging Goblin wouldn't have been in.
I still disagree. Flunkies is a two drop, so I prefer to pair them with Goblin Warchief(all goblins gain haste, this includes itself) and Ronin Houndmaster. Flunky helpers would be played after the flunkies, so being a three drop is just right, and much more helpful at that point than a 1/1 that can only attack.