Question on first strike

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Mikeymike, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Since they are 'a band' can I refer to them as The Beatles, or better yet Hansen?
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

The banding creatures are typically inefficient though. It can be good if used properly, but many mechanics can be AWESOME if used properly. It seems like a waste of effort to me now (yeah, I used to try banding).
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Just use stuff that lowers their casting cost then...
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Heh...

It could be interesting...

I've seen quite a few decks that used banding here and there and some that relied on it heavily. But it would be really cool to see a truly cut-throat banding based deck...
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Can you see Helm of Chatznuk suddenly becoming in demand? :p
  6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

That would be funny, to say the least... :rolleyes:
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

Spidey - that was covered in the "Cool" statement...
  8. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Perhaps... but I felt it had to be said explicitly... ;)
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

Whoops - I thought you missed it entirely...

Okay - the player controlling the "banded group" determines how damage is assigned by the opposing creatures

meaning if you have blocking creatures that are banded - you determine how the creatures the banded group is blocking(attacking creatures) - deal combat damage...

Usually this means spreading out the damage so all, or most of your creatures in the band live...

:cool:
  10. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

What if you have more than one blocking groups, one banded and one (or more) not?
  11. train The Wildcard!!!...

You only control the damage dealt by the creature blocked by the banded group...

If your opponent has other creatures that you block with non-banded creatures, the opponent still decides how damage is dealt...
  12. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I remember the example from my 5th ed. rulebook was something like if a 6/3 attacks and you have two 4/4's, then give one of them banding (Helm of Chatzuk) you can split the damage by the 6/3 evenly across both creatures so neither dies...
  13. Rooser Thread Necromancer

Banding isn't really all that complicated - understanding it really isn't that hard.

Being complicated isn't what makes a mechanic bad. Being unneccesarily complicated, however, certainly does. Banding is a bad ability, (from a game design point of view), simply because they took a good mechanic and weakened it for no reason.

When it boils down to it, what does banding really do?

It lets you assign how opponent's creatures will do damage.

That's what banding does. That's all it does. All the other rules about banding have nothing to do with what banding does but rather with when you are allowed to use it. The unneccesary complications in the banding rules are all those rules that make it harder to get that "assign opponent's damage" effect than it needs to be. What's worse is that the rules work a little differently when you block than when you attack.

To further complicate the matter, how do most people begin teaching new players about banding? "Well, a creature with banding can form a group with other creatures with banding plus one other creature without banding..." I suppose it's little wonder that most of us look at banding as a mechanic that "let's your guys work together" rather than what it really is, a mechanic that let's you assign how your opponent's creatures will do damage.

Phasing suffers similar problems from a game design point of view - it's surrounded by inelegant baggage when it could just have been as simple as what Astral Slide or Parallax Wave does.

Long story short, I think Spidey's right - being able to assign damage like that is a good ability, but the rules for banding combined with the fact that most creatures with banding are overcosted just makes the ability to hard to use efficiently.

What I want to see them do is print cards with the "assign damage" ability that don't have all the baggage that banding brings.
  14. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I never found banding particularly confusing, but as I understand it, there was a lot of confusion over the fact that and attacking band could only have one creature without banding in it, whereas a group of defenders got to take advantage of the ability as long as at least one of the defenders had it.

The ability was never useful except in limited, where it could throw off the combat math enough that a less-skilled player would really suffer from not knowing how to account for the ability.