Question on first strike

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Mikeymike, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Let's say I have Leonin Shikari in play, along with Surestrike Trident attached to a creature.

I attacked with The equipped creature and the Shikari. I let first-strike damage on the stack, pay 4, and move the Trident to the Shikari.

Being that the phase for first-strike damage has already passed, does the Shikari deal damage?
  2. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I would say no.
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Not first strike damage though, but yeah, normal combat damage...
  4. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Why? It now has first strike due to the Trident and the first strike damage phase has already passed... it doesn't have double-strike so it can't do damage in the normal damage phase.
  5. EricBess Active Member

Because of how damage works.

First, the first strike damage goes on the stack. After it resolves, damage goes on the stack from any creature that didn't deal first-strike damage (or that has double strike) goes on the stack.

Otherwise, removing first-strike from a creature should allow it to deal double damage and that certainly isn't the case :D
  6. Ephraim New Member

EricBess is correct. The Shikari will deal damage during the "normal" combat damage step and the creature that had been equipped with the Surestrike Trident will not deal damage during the "normal" combat damage step.
  7. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

Thanks Y'all.

Man, those Shikaris (and Steelshapers) create all types of unpredictable and generally wacky combat situations.

Which is exactly why it is my current favorite deck. :D
  8. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I guess it's already been said, but the question wasn't whether the equipped creature would deal damage (that already went on the stack), but whether the Shikari would deal damage...
  9. EricBess Active Member

And that was answered. It will deal damage. The rest was "additional information".
  10. Oversoul The Tentacled One

11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

This is why I'm not a judge :)
  12. BigBlue Magic Jones

to spidey:

And why I'm glad I'm not one anymore.... it's just tooooooooo weird anymore....

To think that they got rid of banding, because it was "complicated"....
  13. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Got rid of?
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

If you want to get technical about it, he probably more means "is no longer supported".
  15. train The Wildcard!!!...

That would be awesome to run white weenie and banding in the type 1 tourneys...:D
  16. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

I've been playing this game for years now, and I've still never met anyone who knows exactly how banding works (which is why I've also never seen anyone play it).
  17. Ephraim New Member

I suppose I don't know exactly how it works, but I know enough to understand how it works in the decks where I've used it. Pikemen and Kjeldoran Skyknight are two of my favourite cards. There was a time when any white deck I built started with four of each of those.
  18. train The Wildcard!!!...

Banding
    -When a player declares attackers - a player may say that a group of creatures are in a band... which lasts to the end of combat...
    -Each creature may be a member of only 1 'banded group'
    -If one creature in a band is blocked by a critter/effect all others in band are blocked by that critter/effect...
    -Here's the cool part - the player controlling the "banded group" determines how damage is assigned by the opposing creatures
    (if creature loses banding after attack/block, before damage dealing - damage is dealt normally)

Bands with other is a little more complicated - but it deals with types and only banding and bands with other creatures can band with bands with other creatures...
  19. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I understand banding perfectly...

It's just not a powerful mechanic at all...
  20. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

train: What about when a banding creature blocks?

I think banding is pretty powerful when used properly, and only part of it is because it's confusing to people so you can outwit them just by its presence :)