Question about "modified" cards...

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by ekomanii, Jul 20, 2004.

1. ekomanii New Member

(taking the way back machine here, and my memory is fuzzy on this.)

I seem to recall that a card that was "modified" by the games designer was tourney legal.

I knew we played with them years and years ago when Richard Garfield hung around WotC a lot, he did some pretty funny mods to cards (One I remember was him taking a CoP: <something>, crossing out "<something>" and replacing it with the word "Everything", and making it "1W: Protection from Everything" . :)

Selfish reason for this question, not that I expect anyone here to believe me: I have an out of the pack Alpha Black Lotus (A guy I know bought a few alpha packs (ok, yes, I AM old....) and pulled this, and went over and had Garfield mark it up, and he made it produce 13 mana instead of three. As soon as I saw that card, I bought it for a lot of money at the time (I think $50, but this was when moxen and stuff were going for $20 or so, and people were calling them crazy for paying so much for them, lol).

...but the important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, that being the style at the time. ;)

End rambling story. :)
  2. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Well, it is rumored that if the card is marked up to be always legal for T2 or something else, and is signed by Richard Garfield himself, its a legal card to be played with the modifications.

But of course, its just scribbles on a card an no real player would let you play with such a monstrous disadvantage.

Although, I would love to see a pic of that.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I seem to remember this question on Ask Wizards. I'll do a quick search and see if it's there.
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I've heard rumours about that happening with Lightning Bolt...

Could make for a nice, quick kill...
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Nope, couldn't find it. You may want to ask them.
  6. mythosx Legendary Creature-Human

I believe that it is allowed. Garfield as the creator the game has the singular right to allow or disallow anything. I think you would be better off asking him if he acknowledges the existence of your 13 mana lotus.
  7. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I don't think that's true. Despite being the creator, he's given over the game to the various groups that are part of Magic. I don't think he's going to supercede the DCI and the Rules area to allow cards marked by him.

They could allow it in the rules, but I don't think that's currently there either.
  8. Homestar Who invited this guy?

im gonna go scratch out "nonland" on echoing truth, brb...........
  9. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Might be better to just do that for Lobotomy...
  10. Homestar Who invited this guy?

wow, that would be awesome, but, echoing truth can be put on the sceptar, its T2 and i play it in skulllcage so thats why i said the echoing truth, but lobotomy is better.
  11. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Or crossing out the text about not using the ability more than once each turn on such cards as Chronatog...
  12. Homestar Who invited this guy?

or basking rootwalla......
  13. mythosx Legendary Creature-Human

Last time I checked, frick and frack don't work for the rules department. Neither of you are Garfield so you can go deface whatever you want but YOU don't get to change the rules.
  14. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Which one's frick and which one's frack? :p
  15. Homestar Who invited this guy?

im also gonna scratch of the "this card is discardd afterwards" o black lotus....
  16. ekomanii New Member

Ok, I sent this question off to the 'saturdayschool@horvik.com' email, will see what they say about it.

Any advice on scanning this card in? I've had little luck in scanning cards still in the plastic sleeves/encased in lucite.

Oh well, if I have to take the card out, I have to take the card out, will post here when I have the scans complete. :)
  17. kriz_riktr Member

There's no need for that. I can tell you right now that all cards use their official Oracle text. It does not matter what Richard Garfield or anyone else has written on the card.
  18. Homestar Who invited this guy?

Awesome Chris, your a level 3 judge!1 i have a lot of rule questions if ur willing to answer them........
  19. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

You can post them anyway; most of us know the rules even if we haven't taken a test to be certified as a judge...
  20. Homestar Who invited this guy?

i trust you guys and everything but my friend doesnt......see since kriz is a moderator or whatever i can show my friend his name on a official web site and if he doesnt beleeve me then then whatever.....

but, dont think i dont trust you guys, i kno u kno the rules.