Puzzle Box

T

Turtlewax Joe

Ok, who knows what a 'Puzzle Box' deck is? Fine, I'll be honest...I didn't either until Scrye 8.4. But this deck is REALLY cool! It's a little risky but workable. I modified the deck a little.......so the big COMBO(that's right, I said COMBO) is working with synergy between Teferi's Puzzle Box and Pherexian Tyranny. With a copy of Arcane Laboratory to search for at the right time to back this up for the kill, and Ghitu Fire to burn away when they're at low life or to stay ahead in life, Rhysyic Tutor to search for one of the 3 utility single-tons in the deck including; Arcane Lab, Tsabo's Web, and Meekstone(to keep the Monger away). Under Mine is the counter of choice and Recoil, Wash Out, and Rushing River provide bounce to fill up their hand for a HUGE life loss.
Now, the deck:

Puzzle Box

4x Teferi's Puzzle Box
4x Pherexian Tyranny

4x Undermine
4x Recoil
4x Rushing River
2x Wash Out
3x Rhystic Tutor
4x Ghitu Fire
1x Arcane Laboratory
1x Tsabo's Web
1x Meekstone

4x Pyre Zombie

4x Salt Marsh
4x Urborg Volcano
2x Mountain
11x Island
4x Swamp

Notice the lack of pain-lands? You don't want then since you will probably be losing 1-4 life a turn. Oh! and the Pyre Zombie is like a mini Hammer!

There's the explanation, enjoy! :D
And could you help me think of a better name for the deck? Puzzle Box is just the name for the deck in Scrye.

T.J.

J

Jake74

This isn't the type of deck I can comment on... I might after I look into it a bit, but for now... I have no idea... :(

R

RabidKimba

Since we're trying to keep our hand size small, you might want to try Waterfront Bouncers, or Alexi, Zephir Mages, if we're playing w/ masques block. Also, while keeping on the small hand size theme, you might want to try Ensnaring Bridges to keep beatdown from killing you.

T

Turtlewax Joe

That's what the Meekstones are for. The only critter that i fear in my enviorment is the dreaded SPIRITMONGER aka Cheese Puff.
anything else I can Burn.

G

Gerode

Whatever anybody here does, do NOT play Teferi's Puzzle Box in an Apprentice deck!

Other than that off-beat comment, I can't think of many ideas for the deck that you haven't already covered. Bounce is good, but I'd have to see the deck in action to think of anything that would need improvement.

N

NeuroDeus

I was actually thinking of a 4-color Puzzle Box deck along these lines... (not exact decklist)

4x Birds of Paradise
4x Indentured Djinn (you want to lose life by drawing more cards? + supa beatdown creature)

4x Phyrexian Tyranny
4x Teferi's Puzzle Box
2x Symbiotic Deployment (stop yourself from getting more and more damage)

...etc.....

F

FoundationOfRancor

Symbiotic Deployment might be a good idea....a real good idea actually (If you go 4-color)

I have no idea how you could work White in, but I think it would help. Disenchant, to kill the Tryanny when your life is getting to low.....and of course, Gerrards Wisdom.

Just some random thoughts...

T

Turtlewax Joe

White was Tempting but 3 colors is already alot for my inviorment.
I was thinking of a sideboard also:

2x Teferi's Response(ok...let's destroy a port for 2 mana!)
4x Terminate(I didn't main-deck any creature removal 'cause burning bridges is a pop. deck)
4x Seal of Fire(winning a life race is good with this deck)
4x Millstone(alternate win condition=good;) )

notice the lack of Juntu Stakes...Everyone hates Fires around here! good eh!?

comments for the deck are muchly apreciated......thanx everyone!

T.J.

T

Turtlewax Joe

i thought maybe something that dumps yous hand besides a Scullcap and an ensnaring bridge?

But what dumps your hand besides a Scullcap?

T

Turtlewax Joe

yup........it's standard alright.

is there ANYTHING that discards your hand besides the Scullcap?
or should I play the Scullcap?

T

Turtlewax Joe

New deck list after playtesting at Arena League:

4x Teferi's Puzzle Box
4x Pherexian Tyranny

4x Counterspell
4x Recoil
3x Hoodwink
1x Rushing River
3x Rhystic Tutor
4x Ghitu Fire
2x Wash Out
4x Terminate
3x Grafted Scullcap

4x Salt Marsh
4x Urborg Volcano
2x Mountain
4x Swamp
10x Island

Black mana ratios weren't quite right so instead of messing about with the mana base, I took out the Undermines. I moved the 'utility' cards to the side-board and removed the only main-deck creature in favor of Terminate and the Scullcap(works beautifully). Since I now have main-deck 'critter' removal I don't need as many Rushing Rivers, this allows me to bounce land in the form of Hoodwink. Let me know what you think.

Thanx, T.J.

T

Turtlewax Joe

Should I play Urza's Guilt or Forsaken City at all?

They were recomended on MTGnews.

Thanx, T.J.

T

Turtlewax Joe

2x Forsaken City
4x Underground River
4x Sulferous Springs
3x Urborg Volcano
2x Shivan Reef
1x Salt Marsh
8x Island

There's a new land mix for anyone who cares.

Suggestions and and names for the deck are welcome :)

L

Lotus Mox

While 6th was still around I had a deck using both Puzzlebox+Tyranny, and Ankh+Parallax Tide, it was pretty cool to play, but sadly lost Ankh of Mishra and Vampiric Tutor as 7th came out.

I think if you're trying to empty your hand ASAP, you could drop the Terminates and use Ensnaring Bridges in their places.
Countermagic + Skullcap isn't really good, so you could try out some more bounce or Duress instead of counterspell.
And with all that bounce Blood Oath might be superior to Ghitu fire as well.

Don't play Urza's Guilt, and yes Forsaken City is ok to use, 2 is prolly the right number cause you have Skullcap as well :)

Good luck with your deck.