PTQ is going to a PTQ, and I need your help, CPA!

P

PTQ

I have yet to play IBC, so what can you wonderful people here tell me about...

What to expect, what the best decks are shapeing up to be, what has won in the past, alterations to what has won post Apoc., deck ideas, et cetera.

Thanks for any help you can offer, folks.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
My opinion:

Now that Apocalypse has reared it's head, you should expect to see new decks dominate the environment, right?

Wrong. R/B is still the most popular decktype in IBC, fueled now with card-drawing power by Phyrexian Arena. The anti-R/B decktype, the solution, promises to make a show as well.

A new deck to figure into IBC tournaments that can finally can a foothold is Domain. Cromat is not a nice thing to deal with and neither is a Coalition Victory.

Of course, never forget that some people may have been preparing for this for a few months/week now and have been devising a new deck for the tournament. You have to watch for those as well. If you see a random combo start or see a card you never would have expected in any deck, consider it a viable threat.

Other than that, there's really nothing else I can think of.

Ransac, cpa trash man

P

PTQ

Here is some of what I am thinking of, as of now...

4 Lightning Angel
4 Galina's Knight
4 Medleing Mage
4 Goblin Legionere

3 Urza's Rage
4 Absorb
4 Exclude
2 Repulse
4 Jilt
3 Fact or Fiction

4 Shivan Reef
4 Battlefeild Forge
4 Coastal Tower
6 Islands
4 Mountains
2 Plains

2 Dromar
4 Voldalian Zombie
4 Galina's Knight
4 Medleing Mage

4 Absorb
4 Undermine
4 Dromar's Charm
4 Exclude
4 Fact or Fiction
2 Repulse

3 Coastal Tower
3 Salt Marsh
2 Dromar's Cavern
8 Islands
4 Swamp
4 Plains

4 Nightscape Familier
4 Skizzik

4 Urza's Rage
4 Prophetic Bolt

4 Undermine
4 Exclude
4 Repulse
2 Spite/Mallice
4 Fact or Fiction
2 Jilt

4 Shivan Reef
3 Salt Marsh
2 Urborg Volcano
1 Crosis' Catacombs
7 Islands
4 Mountains
3 Swamps

G

Gizmo

IMHO I`ve never head any single person be quite so utterly wrong as Ransac was there.

BR is terrible.
Domain is even worse.
Cromat is the worst card you could put into Domain, were you actually stupid enough to ignore all the beatings you recieved in playtesting and use Domain.
Wait I lied, Cromat is the SECOND worst thing, after Coalition Victory.
There are very few playable cards in IBC, and everybody is using them, thus if your opponent plays a card you`ve never come across before, assume he is a scrub (this does not include SB tech, as there are very few good SB strategies so SB is largely random spells).

The closest deck to a good one was the UBW one PTQ posted, and yet he had inexplicably chosen to not play with 12 of the best cards for that deck. Sample abberative decisions include:
"God, Vindicate is really poor, I want to use Exclude instead."
and my personal favourite
"Hmm, the Pro:Green guy who regenerates and helps out my mana distribution, or the Pro:Green who doesn`t regenerate and makes me play too much black mana? I think the latter"

"The Lynx Effect" or swills.dec (as played by Scott Wills)

3 Stormscape Apprentice
4 Galina
4 Meddler
4 Lynx

4 Absorbage
4 Undermining
4 Charming Dromar
4 Vindictiveness
2 Malicously Spiteful spells
4 FoF

2 Dromar`s Home
4 Cave Of Kool-Aid
4 Salty Mess
4 Coastal Powers
5 Iceland
6 Planes

DON`T even think of playing a red-burn control deck. It`s like bad choice #2 (after playing Domain).

P

PTQ

You know, I really can't think of any logical reason why I left out Vindicate in the U/W/B deck I posted, or the Lynx...for that matter.

That' s 8 spells I left out that should be in there...what is other of which you speak, since you said I left out 12?

G

galtwish

I'll take just about any other tempo spell over Vindicate. A sorcery in your splash color doesn't help against Deed or Rout, and bouncing your opponent's Thornscape Apprentice and Kavu Titan is better than running your Meddling Mage on Rage into them, and that 2 damage Pikula serves is quite tasty. I'd only take Vindicate in a metagame full of Yavimaya Barbarian.
I see where Apprentice is superior to Zombie, as it kills half the G/R critters (I don't care if the deck isn' t the best, it will still be played), and the tappy tap effect is awesome. So here's my idea for it:

4 Stormscape Apprentice
4 Galina's Knight
4 Pikula
4 Lynx
4 Absorb(Prohibit if you expect to see a lot of BearTempo decks)
4 Undermine
4 Dromar's Charm
2 Rushing River
3 Repulse
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Coastal Tower
4 Salt Marsh
2 Swamp
7 Plains
6 Island

SB
4 Gainsay
3 Confound
2 Rushing River
and other stuff, maybe some Crusading/Marauding Knights

Charm and Undermine are superb and justify the inclusion of black. The Marauding Knight may be just the thing, especially if Red removal loses popularity due to "Solution" tempo builds (Galina's Knight and Spectral Lynx as well as Acolyte and Voice). The addition of Fatties like selected Volvers, Spiritmonger and the understanding that 5/5s make the R/G deck also decrease the value of Rage and Fire. Just conjecture, but it may have merit.
And Spite/Malice, although a favorite of mine, doesn't really seem great compared to Rushing River when facing similar problems to the Vindicate/bounce arguement above.

Erik

P

PTQ

Well, it's sad, but I get a little queasy playing any deck that does not have at least one card that says "Counter Target Spell." I've been spoiled by the opresive might of blue, in all shapes and forms.

C

Captain Caveman

I haven't played a single game of IBC but I've been watching
what other people have come up with. Below are a few decks
that seemed like they have potential. I say that, because what
I think is good usually ends up being bad, for tounament play.
You may have seen them already but I thought its possible
that you don't visit other Magic sites. Most of these are pre-Apoc
so they might be worthless templates.

Zvi Mowshowitz (Domain)
8 Island
7 Forest
4 Plains
2 Swamp
1 Mountain
2 Questing Phelddagrif
4 Worldly Council
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Harrow
4 Fertile Ground
3 Allied Strategies
4 Ordered Migration
4 Dromar's Charm
2 Fact or Fiction
2 Global Ruin
4 Collective Restraint
1 Restock

Alex Shvartsman (U-B "Bock.dec 2.0") (Brian Davis)
12 Island
9 Swamp
4 Salt Marsh
4 Nightscape Familiar
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Undermine
4 Recoil
3 Repulse
4 Fact or Fiction
3 Probe
2 Yawgmoth's Agenda
3 Spite/Malice
4 Exclude

Chris Benafel (G-R-b Beats)
2 Darigaaz's Caldera
11 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Urborg Volcano
1 Keldon Necropolis
4 Yavimaya Barbarian
4 Blurred Mongoose
4 Thornscape Familiar
4 Raging Kavu
4 Thornscape Battlemage
4 Thunderscape Battlemage
3 Skizzik
2 Flametongue Kavu
4 Urza's Rage
3 Ghitu Fire

Osyp Lebedowicz (Black-White-Green Arena)
4 Llanowar Wastes
4 Elfhame Palace
4 Caves of Koilos
7 Swamp
6 Plains
4 Spectral Lynx
4 Voice of All
4 Ravenous Rats
3 Spiritmonger
4 Gerrard's Verdict
4 Vindicate
4 Pernicious Deed
4 Death Grasp
4 Phyrexian Arena

Tuomo Nieminen (Go-Mar)
4 Coastal Tower
4 Salt Marsh
8 Plains
6 Island
3 Swamp
2 Dromar, the Banisher
4 Galina's Knight
4 Meddling Mage
4 Absorb
4 Dromar's Charm
2 Exclude
3 Repulse
1 Recoil
1 Yawgmoth's Agenda
3 Rout
4 Fact or Fiction
2 Lobotomy

Mark Gresback(U/G Tempo)
4 Gaea's Skyfolk
4 Mystic Snake
4 Fact or Fiction
4 Exclude
4 Repulse
4 Rushing River
4 Temporal Spring
4 Blurred Mongoose
4 Kavu Titan
4 Yavimaya Cost
10 Island
10 Forest

R

RabidKimba

My preferred deck at the moment is U/G tempo. Decklist below:

4:Blurred Mongoose
4:Kavu Titan
4:Gaea’s Skyfolk
4:Lay of the Land
4:Mystic Snake
4:Exclude
4:Repulse
4:Temporal Springs
4:Rushing River
4:Fact or Fiction
4:Yavimaya Coast
8:Island
8:Forest

3 Jungle Barrier
4 Gainsay
3 Bind
3 Wash Out
2 Tranquility

(yes, I know bind is horrible, and if your a very good player, and don't really overextend against deed, you might not need it. But it's funny Binding a Deed.) I was wondering about Dodecapod, and wondering if many B/W/(x) players were siding out the verdicts after game 1 in fear of Dodecapods. Also, I was thinking about Ceta Sanctuaries vs Fact or Fiction.

Cards the deck doesn't like: Deed, Lynx, Vodalan Zombie. Maybe add in Prohibit, to side in game 2 after you lose the first one and choose to go first? (prohibit is not good when they go turn 2 Lynx, and you have 1 mana.)

Also, you might want to check out the B/U/G (Brian Kowal's) deck that's going around on multiple webpages.

G

Gizmo

The deck Kimba posted is pretty good. I`ve seen a version that splashes out for Recoil and Undermine, which are both good. And don`t disrespect Binding a Deed.

I`ve never seen Lay in one though, playing 22 land and 4 Lays is surely worse than playing 24 land, in an aggro-tempo deck.

Z

Zadok001

Just out of sheer morbid curiousity, are there ANY mono-color IBC decks that can possibly work? At all?

O

olwen

4 Firebrand Ranger
4 Rage Weaver
4 Kavu Aggressor/Viashino Grappler
2 Flametongue Kavu
4 Skizzik

4 Fire/Ice
4 Scorching Lava
3 Ghitu Fire
4 Urza's Rage
4 Bend or Break

1 Keldon Necropolis
22 Mountain

G

Gizmo

Yeah, plenty of mono-red decks. Bloodfire Dwarf, the 2/1 guys, that sort of thing. Never seen an elf deck, don`t think it would be very good, and Arena would HAVE to be a splash to G or W at least, if not both.

R

RabidKimba

Originally posted by Gizmo
I`ve never seen Lay in one though, playing 22 land and 4 Lays is surely worse than playing 24 land, in an aggro-tempo deck.
Gizmo -
If your referring to the deck I posted, it was 20 land, 4 lays, and I couldn't think of a good 1-drop.

G

Gizmo

My maths are very :/.
20 and 24 isn`t so bad. But I`m still of the mid it`s probably worse for this deck, firstly the deck is very fast and so you`ll barely notice thinning one land out of your deck before the game ends, and secondly you are assuming you`ll draw it in your opening hand because it`s worse than a land after that.
In either case I would consider Opt a reasonavle option option.
In the circumstances I would just play it simply with 24 land (maybe 22), and would be very interested in trying to make make Exclude and Rushing River into Recoil and Undermine.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I have never been so insulted in my entire CPA life!

Check the resources, Gizmo. R/B decks HAVE been dominating limited format tourneys as of late. True, they are not as dominant as they were when Invasion first appeared. And true, I was doing some wishful thinking with the Domain decks, but I have witnessed 3 tournaments won by that deck as of late.

Please, I suggest you stop demeaning others peoples opinions, Gizmo. I'll let you know now that you are the ONLY CPA member I have not liked. And I have disagreed with most of your ideas for a while as well.

My apologies for bringing this matter up in an inappropriate forum.

Ransac, cpa trash man