Psychic Vortex, Yay upkeep!

S

Striking Dragon

Hey all, I've been tooling around with a way to break Psychic Vortex, and I think I've come pretty close, it's for multi-player:

//NAME: WoW Bears!!!!
1 Sol Ring
3 Brushland
4 Adarkar Wastes
3 Yavimaya Coast
4 Savannah
4 Tropical Island
4 Tundra
2 Words of Wilding
2 Words of Worship
4 Helm of Awakening
2 Hanna's Custody
1 Enlightened Tutor
4 Ensnaring Bridge
3 Null Brooch
2 Replenish
3 Sterling Grove
4 Manabond
3 Oath of Scholars
4 Psychic Vortex
3 Reminisce
1 Claws of Gix

Ok explanations:

Words of Wilding: kill mechanism, gets under bridge on my turn.

Words of Worship: a questionable choice maybe, but you can gaing alot of life off of this.

Helm of awakening: speeds up every spell, important when you draw 10 + cards a turn, might get players not to hurt you badly in the opening.

Hanna's Custody: players aren't to friendly towards bridges.

Ensnaring bridge: well I have an empty hand most of the time so....

Null Brooch: Read: Ensnaring Bridge.

Replenish: can really get you working after a big vortex

Sterling Grove: Protect my enchantments and be E. Tutors 2-4, yay!

Manabond: allows me to keep ahead of the vortex for land

Oath of Scholars: Similar to Vortex but doesn't need the land sacrifice.

Psychic Vortex: Best cumulative upkeep ever. Period.

Reminisce: so I don't draw myself to death before being able to set up enough to win.

Claws of Gix: gets stuff in the graveyard for Reminisce, or can kill vortex before my end of turn.

Any comments are welcome.

T

train

Stifle...

You can also run the new artifact that allows you to play lands from your graveyard as if they were in your hand...

Seismic assault might not be bad... drawing a lot of lands... or words of war...

you could also phase it out, bounce it - but then you don't get the mass draw later on...

Check all that - Words of Waste... that's some mass multi-player hand control...

and the newly broken multi-player card for me...

Sun Droplet...

S

Striking Dragon

The other Words could work but that would mean I would have to splash colours which I'm not sure I want to do at the moment.

Phasing is a possibility. Was there a parallax card for enchantments?

No Mirrodin. Sun droplet isn't that strong.

T

train

No mirrodin as in you don't have any - or you don't like it?...

Sun droplet is not that great - but in Multiplayer - it's nice to gain a life during every upkeep...

S

Striking Dragon

Oh, no mirrodin because I don't like the card faces, call me stubborn but it really detracts from the game for me.

I don't think sun droplet really fits here, W of Worship seem to be much more efficient (and even then it's situational) at gaining life

R

Reverend Love

Malignant Growth:

Cumulative upkeep .
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a growth counter on Malignant Growth.
At the beginning of each of your opponents' draw steps, that player draws a card for each growth counter on Malignant Growth, then Malignant Growth deals to the player damage equals to the number of cards he or she drew this way.

Works well with your choice of words...tears up your opponents and in a pinch would draw you cards.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by train

You can also run the new artifact that allows you to play lands from your graveyard as if they were in your hand...
Isn't that the one being made with You Make the Card and so it's not out yet?

T

train

Yeah... but I always look into the long term of things...:)

kind of like - 13 more months spidey...

heck - the new card will be out in half that time... well almost...;)

T

train

Hmmm...

With the life gain from Words - you could easily run some Cities to generate the other mana... and still produce your current colors... to provide for maybe 1 or 2 of the other words...

Or - to speed up your combo - Hermit Druid...
Then Replenish...

And you get to skip your draws - because of the words...Of course - 1 or 2 gaea's blessing might not hurt...

S

Striking Dragon

How would Malignant growth help me to draw cards? it could serve as a win condition, but the bears offer some sort of defense if the bridge is disenchanted.

I could probably run the other words of of cities, and words of war offers some decent control along with a win condition, I'll test these out. I just do not want to dilute the deck to much with alternate strategies.

What about Peace of Mind to gain life? It allows me to actually draw the cards, and discard stuff I don't need early (not to mention helps replenish).

By adding hermit druid (which would die fast due to excess creature kill) would slowly turn this into some sort of replenish combo deck, which I'm not sure I want.

Why would I want blessings?

T

train

You may need to get somethinng/s back and gaea's gives you the cards, the draw, and with the vortex, you'd more than likely get what you need in 1-2 turns...

I guess it depends on how much control your opponents are running...