Post your Ravnica decks!

J

jorael

One of the challenges of deckbuilding is making a block constructed deck. As there are already 2 sets released and #3 is coming soon, I think it's about time to see what kind of cool casual decks everyone have created.

So post your Ravnica block deck for the world to see!

I'll start with one of mine. The moment I saw Abyssal Nocturnus I knew I wanted to use it in a deck. Obviously the deck would need to let opponents discard and plenty too. Then I looked at Lore Broker and I found what I was looking for. During a 4 player multiplayer game one activation of the Lore Broker gives the Nocturnus +6/+6! Add some additional discard spells and you have the capacity to create a very lethal Nocturnus (I've seen it become 18/18 on turn 5)! Of course, the Nocturnus is easy to kill, so if you fear some kind of removal, just use your discard first.

Clutch of the Undercity is excellent removal with all the discard spells in this deck. Tidewater Minion is a fat blocker and gives you a way to reuse Lore Broker and Lurking Informant. The latter prevents your opponent from topdecking anything good.

Dimir Stockbroker said:
10 Island
10 Swamp
4 Dimir Aqueduct

4 Lurking Informant
4 Lore Broker
4 Dimir Guildmage
4 Abyssal Nocturnus
4 Keening Banshee
4 Tidewater Minion

4 Cry of Contrition
4 Consult the Necrosages
4 Clutch of the Undercity

L

Limited

Ugh.. Abysmal Nocturnus.

My favorite Ravnica Block deck is my Halcyon Glaze/SpawnBroker deck

TradingGlaze.dec said:
Creatures (20)
4x Dimir Guildmage
4x Keening Banshee
4x Mausoleum Turnkey
4x Spawnbroker
4x Surveilling Sprite
Spells (16)
4x Halcyon Glaze
4x Peel from Reality
4x Telling Time
4x Voyager Staff
Lands (24)
2x Dimir Aqueduct
10x Swamp
12x Island
Its remarkable how many creatures you can take with your Spawnbroker, even when Mausoleum Turnkey is your most powerfull creature! And Voyager Staff is simply great: trade a creature, remove it from the game, get it back and triggers its CIP ability.

Who's next?

J

jorael

I've tinkered more than enough with Ravnica and Guildpact to feed this thread with more decks :)

Curious Curio said:
9 Forest
6 Mountain
5 Island
4 Gruul Turf

4 Cloudstone Curio

4 Sparkmage Apprentice
4 Tin Street Hooligan
4 Gruul Guildmage
4 Civic Wayfarer
4 Carven Caryatid
4 Steamcore Weird
4 Ogre Savant
4 Vedalken Dismisser
This deck uses Cloudstone Curio to maximum effect. The deck has no other non-creature spells. All creatures have 'come into play' triggers that you will be able to reuse, due to the Curio. You can draw cards, fetch lands, deal damage, destroy artifacts and bounce creatures.

Gruul Guildmage is added to give your creatures more offensive power and the deck can generate enough lands to fuel its damaging ability. I'm hoping Dissention will contain an U/G creature with an interesting 'come into play' trigger. I will most probably drop the Sparkmages for such a creature. I'm now trying to see how the deck performs with some added fat: I've replaced the Guildmages with Borborygmos.

"Crush them!"

M

Maik

Hey guys from Grun, here someone from Arnhem :)

Jorael: I read your cloudstone curio deck and it happens to be I also have, only with the othe colors besides green. Here it goes.

9 forest
7 swamp
6 island
1 golgari rot farm
1 orzhov basilica

2 golgari signet
2 orzhov signet
4 farseek
4 cloudstone curio
2 dimir machinations

4 civic wayfinder
4 carven caryatid
3 blind hunter
3 keening banshee
4 skeletal vampire
4 angel of despair

Yes, this deck has a steep mana-curve, but in multiplayer it can be done (I hope). I was having doubt whether or not to put extra artifact and/or enchantment removal, but I totally put myself to the bats and the angels. Hope it works.

Greets, Maik

L

Limited

Funny how you choose to play 3 Blind Hunters and Keening Banshee's but do think you need 4 Angels of despair and 4 Skeletal Vampires..
I think the deck would be more consistent (and could make better use of the Curio) if it were reversed.

Let us know!

J

jorael

Whoa! Another Dutch guy at the CPA :D

I see you used the Curio with some nasty Orzhov creatures. Skeletal Vampire is a great card, reminds me about another block deck:

Batman said:
10 Swamp
10 Plains
4 Orzhov Basilica

4 Orzhov Signet
4 Voyager Staff
4 Devouring Light

4 Plagued Rusalka
4 Orzhov Pontiff
4 Absolver Thrull
4 Blind Hunter
4 Belfry Spirit
4 Skeletal Vampire
This deck is all about haunting and bats. I added Voyager Staff for tricks with come into play triggers and to save your creatures from removal (and it also stops opponents from haunting and using nasty Aura's). Plagued Rusalka lets you sac your haunted creatures at demand. That gives you some nice tricks with the Pontiff.

The real star is of course Skeletal Vampire. Hard to kill and it gives you an infinite amount of chumb blockers/regeneration food.

M

Maik

@ jorael: I thought about the black-white bat like theme, but unfortunately I have no pontiff's (yet). Voyager staff is a fun card indeed Jorael! Choices choices.

@ limited: I get your point. I was actually thinking about that part, but after some drytesting I flooded with mana and casting the vampire and the angel ones or twice in a turn often appeared to be no problem. Still having doubts though. I guess reversing the two, like you mentioned, would make it better (but I am so fond of the angel and vamps).

J

jorael

Angels, vamps... all we now need is a babe to act as Buffy and we have the complete cast of that tv show ;)

B

Barachem

Well, i'm dutch too.
And also from Groningen, like Jorael.

B

Barachem

Nah, i've only contributed off-topic spam here.
Er, oops... ;)

J

jorael

A creation that worked out less well:

Streetbreaker said:
3 Skarrg, the Rage Pits
2 Swamp
7 Mountain
12 Forest

4 Golgari Signet
4 Savage Twister
4 Wreak Havoc
4 Rolling Spoil

4 Gruul Guildmage
4 Silhana Starfletcher
4 Civic Wayfinder
4 Hunted Troll
4 Streetbreaker Worm
4 Barbarian Riftcutter
I tried to combine land destruction with fatties. Rolling Spoil is an excellent way to remove the tokens created with Hunted Troll (and any other 1 thoughness creature). I added Wreak Havoc to destroy artifacts and lands. Barbarian Riftcutter is a creature that you can pitch to destroy a land. Versatile cards, but not efficient land destruction.

Savage Twister is a nice reset button and Hunted Troll is a deadly creature, especially with the Skarrg land. But the land destruction part doesn't work out. I have played this deck a bit differently and that was fun too:

hunted gruul said:
4 Skarrg, the rage Pits
4 Gruul Turf
8 Forest
8 Mountain

4 Gruul Signet
4 Savage Twister
4 Cleansing Beam (I wasn't sold on this card)

4 Silhana Starfletcher
4 Trophy Hunter
4 Hunted Dragon
4 Hunted Dragon
4 Streetbreaker Worm
4 Living Inferno
This deck uses 8 hunted creature and some cards to get rid of all those tokens. Savage Twister mainly. Silhana Starfletcher and Trophy Hunter can both block the Knight tokens and the Faery ones (or shoot them down). The deck just accelates its mana and then drops big fatties. Not a very sophisticated deck, I know. Living Inferno is a blast to play with, however!

I'm now thinking about making a Golgari deck that uses the Trolls together with Rolling Spoil. Some land destruction with a nice extra effect seems good as it seems that everyone is playing with special lands these days :)

L

Limited

Just wanted to share to first Golgari deck I made, mostly inspired by my Ravnica Prerelease experience (Read about that here). I totally fell in love with Dimir House Guard so I created this:

GolgariHouseGuard.dec said:
Creatures (24)
4x Thoughtpicker Witch
2x Golgari Guildmage
1x Golgari Thug
3x Shambling Shell
2x Stinkweed Imp
4x Dimir House Guard
2x Junktroller
1x Keening Banshee
1x Mausoleum Turnkey
1x Nullmage Shepherd
2x Savra, Queen of the Golgari
1x Golgari Rotwurm
Spells (13)
2x Darkblast
4x Golgari Signet
1x Putrefy
2x Golgari Germination
1x Necromantic Thirst
1x Nightmare Void
1x Rolling Spoil
1x Vigor Mortis
Lands (23)
2x Svogthos, the Restless Tomb
3x Golgari Rot Farm
10x Swamp
8x Forest
As you can see, quite a lot of one-off's, but most cost four mana so the Dimir House Guard can fetch them. Turn three transmute for Mausoleum Turnkey always made me laugh :)

J

jorael

I really like the hunted creatures and it's a challenge to build a block constructed deck with them. Hunted Phantasm is severly undercosted and 5 1/1 goblin tokens aren't very dangerous (opposed to two 3/3 protection from black creatures). Tibor and Lumia know very well what to do with such pesky critters.

Izzen't it cute? said:
4 Izzet Boilerworks
9 Mountain
11 Island

4 Telling Time
4 Pyromatics
4 Leap of Flame
4 Electrolyze

4 Gelectrode
4 Wee Dragonauts
4 Hunted Phantasm
4 Tibor and Lumia
4 Ogre Savant
I will probably drop 1 copy of Tibor and Lumia and 1 or 2 copies of Leap of Flame. Ideally I add some more card drawing spells or more U/R multicolor spells.

Last sunday I saw that Maik constructed a U/R deck with Wee Dragonauts and Gelectrode that packed a lot of cantrips: e.g. sleigh of hand, opt, Fire//Ice, Remand. It seemed very cool, but I didn't see the deck in action yet (perhaps for the best...).

M

Maik

Hey Jorael,
Here is my decklist. As you know it's not ravnica or type2, but I can promise you it worked. I played 1 on 1 against my brother and against the one who stayed sunday (let's call him Georgie for the people at home :D ), the deck won all his games, playing that many carddrawing is simply cool (who would have thought that I'd like it). Unfortunatly I haven't got the cardpool you've got, so no Tibor and Lumia.

12 island
7 mountains
2 izzet boilerworks
1 nivix, Aerie of the firemind

4 gelectrode
4 wee dragonauts

2 sleight of hand
4 opt
4 repeal
4 telling time
4 train of thought
4 jilt
4 fire/ice
4 electrolyze

I didn't add in counterspells, because it doesn't fit in multiplayer, otherwise I'll add remand and/or arcane denial. Saying that I admit that this deck doesn't seem stable enough for multiplayer though.
Next to that I'm thinking of removing electrolize (casting cost 3 doesn't correspond well with guildmage) for either some extra bounce or 2 or 3 guidmages, maybe my new djinn illuminatus (slow though).

J

jorael

Another one, inspired by Limited.

Grizzle Shizzle said:
20 Forest
4 Selesnya Sanctuary

4 Wildsize
4 Sundering Vitae
4 Moldervine Cloak

4 Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Selesnya Guildmage
4 Gristleback
4 Ursapine
The deck has a lot of creature that are hard to block. Cloak them and pump them and swing! Gristleback gives you lifegain to stay ahead in the damage race. I would rather add efficient equipment instead of the wildsizes, but it is a fine card and a very nice trick. I'm thinking about changing the guildmage into Gruul ones and use the R/G guildlands. Each has its merits...

Limited, what did your Ursapine deck look like?

L

Limited

Well, it doesn't quite belong in this thread, because its not an all Ravnica deck..
But here goes:

Ursapain.dec said:
Creatures (22)
4x Gristleback
3x Hystrodon
3x Nantuko Vigilante
4x Silhana Ledgewalker
4x Skarrgan Pit-Skulk
4x Ursapine
Spells (15)
4x Moldervine Cloak
3x Skyshroud Claim
4x Wildsize
4x Wurmweaver Coil
Lands (23)
23x Forest
Mostly, I just wanted to combine Ursapine with the Pit-Skulk and Silhana Ledgewalker for large unblockable creatures. The Morph creatures were added later to add some carddrawing and replace Sundering Vitae. I took out my Karoo's when I took out Sakura-Tribe Scouts.