Please Help with Pendrell Mists deck

M

Mikeymike

So I've got this playset of Pendrell Mists that have been sitting in my collection, patiently waiting for me to build a deck around them. I decided it is time to reward their patience and finally follow through with an MP build. But I can't quite streamline the idea yet.

The only definites
4 Pendrell Mists
2/3 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (as opposed to the Tabernacle at 5th and Washington).

Ideas I like:
-- Rhystic Study - my opponents quite possibly are pumping mana into keeping their creatures alive, so this either helps to tie up their mana even more, or draw me many cards.
-- Viashinos - A kill mechanism, they are never in play during my upkeep
-- Time Stop - Well, I just got a playset finally, and want to play them. I like the idea of casting it after my opponent(s) commits to paying the mana for the creature during the upkeep, and stealing his turn and draw. Obliterate also showed up in my group recently, and I hate that friggin card.

POST ON TEMPORARY HOLD. DAMN YOU JOB, DAMN YOU TO HELL.

T

TheCasualOblivion

You'll want some sort of defense for the "He must die now" which is somewhat inevitable.

L

Limited

rrrrr It combines with pirates yarrrr!
And perhaps a Dream Tides? Or Well of Knowledge..

J

Jigglypuff

Here's a deck I threw together 5 minutes before I left. I only got to play it once, but it won that game.

4 Pendrell Mists
4 Rhystic Study
4 Propaganda
3 Dingus Staff
3 Mogg Infestation
3 Reins of Power
4 Shock
4 Incinerate
4 Kindle
2 Starstorm
11 Mountain
14 Islands

The deck has no creatures so Pendrell Mists doesn't hurt you, but you become totally dependent on your burn and Propaganda to save you. Obviously draw your cards off the Study whenever possible. You're basically stalling until you can pull off a big turn with Reins of Power or Mogg Infestation/Starstorm/Dingus Staff. If I had to re-do this deck, I'd go U/B and play Vile Consumption instead, but this version is okay too.

(- Steve -)

T

Troll

You can alway use Man-lands (Treetop Village, Mishra's Factories, etc) and the new Genji's. Just a suggestion.

Whoo-Hoo...my 100th post. Took me long enough...

S

Striking Dragon

If you want to go the prison route, winter orb, static orb, and mana web all work well with the mists/propaganda.

M

Mikeymike

POST BACK ON - THANKS ALL

-- Propaganda - Great idea, would likely go in
-- Pirates - Hmm, that should be good. I have to try them out. My fear is that their effect is too small to warrant their P/T-CC
-- Well of Knowledge - Hmm, that could work. My only fear is my opponent not playing creatures every now and again and drawing 4 cards
-- Dream Tides - That's a tough one. It looks a bit expensive for its' effect, but I'd give it a look.
-- Dingus Staff - I was actually thinking the same thing, with War-Riders, but I've done that combo before. I'm going to avoid it for now, but it will be on the back-burner.
-- Fade Away - I likes
-- Sunder - I would definitely work, but I'm going try to avoid for political reasons
-- Man-lands/Genji - both should work well.

Here's a rough draft

Creatureishes 8
4 Viashino Sandscout
3 Genju of the Falls
1 Genju of the Spires (just to try it)

Enchantments 14
4 Pendrell Mists
4 Rhystic Study
3 Energy Flux
3 Propaganda

Other - 12
4 Incinerate (Fire/Ice?)
3 Fade Away
2 Prophetic Bolt
2 Time Stop (ehh, just want to try it)
1 Ancestral Recall

Lands/Mana - 26
3 Tabernacle
1 Strip Mine
1 Wasteland
2 Fairie Conclave
2 Mishra's Factory
4 Volcanic Island
7 Island
6 Mountain

Thoughts? I'm thining it might be a little heavy on the man-land beatdown and a little light on the card-draw. The utility looks pretty good though.

EDIT

Should I add Standstill?

L

Limited

Standstill? I don't think so. You are allready making your opponents not want to cast anything; better not obstruct yourself in this manner..

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
You only have four man-lands in the whole deck. If you would like to include Standstill, you would probably want at least two more.

F

Force of Will Smith

I have a deck like this. I remember building it to finally make use of the seemingly crappy AEther cards.
from what i remember it runs..

4 Mana Breach
4 Temporal Adept
3 Pendrell Mists
Waterfront bouncer
Energy Field
Propaganda
Overburden
Soul Barrier
Invoke Prejudice
Fade Away
Wash Out
Withdrawal
Undo
Fade Out

4 Force of Will
2 Counterspell
Spire Golem
Morphling/Somnophore
Black Vise/Iron Maiden

Add Umbilicus+Winter Orb/Mystic Remora/Rhystic Study for more control.

you can also abuse tangle wire+umbilicus.
standstill.

I would highly recommend against mana maze/Arcane laboratory in this style of deck..
The goal is to layer enchantments.. one spell a turn hurts you bad.

It's an incredibly effective deck that runs a drop of countermagic, and layers on the AEther spells.. so that if they play a spell, say a creature that costs GGG, and you have invoke prejudice out, overburden, and a mana breach.

they pay GGGGGG, and bounce 2 lands.
word of caution, overburden is good but has bitten me in the oink a couple games..

Them: I'll tap my gaea's cradle for six, play a llanowar, bounce it back, tap gaea's cradle for 7.

J

Jigglypuff

So I played my deck a couple more times last night and it won both games. The first game was pretty silly because one of my opponents had Rising Waters while I had Pendrell Mists and Propaganda. The Waters opponent was able to use his Spiketails to finish off the third guy, but all he had against me was Stinging Barrier. He got off quite a few pings before I was able to kill it with Incinerate/Kindle. The rest of the game was essentially "Untap one land. Go." Occasionally he'd play a threat and I'd kill it, dropping us both down to one or two untapped lands. I finally won by decking.

The other game was a pretty standard game. Set up the "lock", wait for everyone else to beat up on each other, and then finish off the survivors. God, I suck at Magic.

(- Steve -)