pi... continued

D

dw51688

Dr. Kamada in Japan has his super computer calculating pi to 1 billion digits+

He must have an algorithm to be able to calculate pi, but what is it?

N

nodnarb24

(2X2) .. (4X4) .. (6X6)
------- X ------- X ------- X ...
(1X3) .. (3X5) .. (5X7)

I think that's what it is but I'll come back later to comfirm it.

R

Rando

And what exactly are you supossed to do with pi calculated to 1,000,000,000 didgits? It would seem that pi to 2 or 4 didgits past 1 has served humanity fine for quite a while. Is it just like some kind of geeky science pissing contest?

"Da-hoo, lookie here, my pi's longer. Garsh."

?

K

K9Archmage

I agree. It doesn't really matter how exact you can get pi. people should worry about important things in life like the undeniable fact that cockroaches will eventually overthrow the human race.

Hoipa

M

manchot_13

Pi to 41 digits will allow you to calculate the circumference of the universe to within the width of a single proton.

with that in mind, i have pi to 10000 digits on my door, it is also my screensaver

another highly inefficient algorithm is

4*(1-1/3+1/5-1/7+1/9...)

C

Cateran Emperor

Hmph, this categorizes as "geeky nerd pissing contest" in my book. I can recite it up to about 40 or so digits (guess how often I've had to do it beyond 5 or 6) and then stopped as I realized that I'll never need more than 3.14159 and this really couldn't be chalked up in the "attract the ladies" column. ;)

Z

Zadok001

Cosine secant
Tangent sine

Seriously, say that out loud. :)

K

K9Archmage

Your a poet and you probably do know it. Wait a minute, did i say that wrong?

A

arachiron

What d'ya mean it won't attract the ladies? I love pi (though never pie)! I used to have a contest w/ my brother when I was 11 to see who can say it the longest and fastest although I never reached more than 53 because I kept stumbling. Wait a minute, it is a stupid science pissing contest...oh well.

G

Gerode

I had a friend a long time ago who created the Pi Song to help him remember.

"Three Point One Four One Five Nine..."

Inspired me to learn the first 65 digits the next year. I've forgotten it past 40 or so after 3 years.

D

Duel

you think that poem was bad, you didn't hear him cheering it at our math teacher's tug-of-war team....

Pi is definately a phallic supplement. My pi's longer than your pi by 15 digits.....

Real people use expensive cars for this, you know....