Phyrexian Scuta

F

FoundationOfRancor

I know there is alot of argument around this card, epscially when compared to Juzam Jjinn. With all the bounce blue has, is this kickered two life armor really that good of a 4cc slot?

You decide. Then Post. Then Debate.

Phyrexian Scuta
3B, Creature — Zombie 3/3, Planeshift Rare
Kicker-Pay 3 life. (You may pay 3 life in addition to any other costs as you play this spell.)
If you paid the kicker cost, Phyrexian Scuta comes into play with two +1/+1 counters on it.
Illus. Scott M. Fischer

Juzám Djinn
2BB, Summon Djinn 5/5, Arabian Nights Rare
Juzám Djinn does 1 damage to you during your upkeep.
“Expect my visit when the darkness comes. The night I think is best for hiding all.” —Ouallada
Illus. Mark Tedin

G

Gizmo

Scuta is a beatstick. Losing life because of bounce only really matters in the Skies matchup (losing life in the Nether matchup is almost irrelevant) and the Skies matchup is easy cos of all your removal spells.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Between Scuta and Juzam, there's no contest - Juzam all the way!!!

But that's not really the point, since Juzam is probably one of the Top 3 all-time creatures (along with Hypnotic Specter and Morphling).

The question is if Scuta is a good creature in the current environment. In my opinion, the answer is no. Sadly, with all of the bounce available, not to mention the plague of cheap counterspells, Terminate, and the soon to be added Diabolic Edict, Scuta is just too risky to kick when coming into play.

The only time it's a safe to kick a Scuta is if your opponent is not playing Blue, or you are in total control. And if you are in control of the game, any threat is good enough.

If Scuta had flying, trample, haste, untargetability, or cost 3 mana, then he'd be a lot better. Otherwise, he's just Zombie theme deck material.

L

Landkiller

Scuta is a great creature...while Dark Ritual is legal. I have to say, though, when Dark Ritual is gone, that Scuta will be a crap rare.

S

Slug man

I agree, in the wrong situation, Scuta can do more harm then good. I accept that in Type 2 he isn't amazing but if there were enough other good black cards in Type 2 then he would be a perfect route to victory. In my R/B IBC deck I have 3 Skizziks and 3 Scuta's to lead my forces through. He combines very well with Breath of Darigaaz (-:. While he is a long way off Juzam Djinn I think he is probalby the best black card in the last 4 expansions, purely because he will win the game in a few turns if not dealt with quickly.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Don't get me wrong, I wish I could fall in love w/ Scuta - I just can't!

It's true that an unblocked Scuta can win in just a few turns, but so can Thrashing Wumpus. And in addition, the Wumpus can clear it's own path every turn. Further, if the Wumpus just can't get through, it can commit suicide and possibly win the game anyway, or at least get a draw.

In my opinion, the best recent Black creatures have been (in no particular order):

Phyrexian Plaguelord
Phyrexian Negator
Thrashing Wumpus
Ascendant Evincar

I would play any of these before Scuta.

D

Daggertooth

Scuta is a cheap beat stick. Thats whats great about him. Lose 3 life? Well, If your any sort of black mage this shouldn't scare you a bit. But thats only part of the reason he is great.

For some reason his casting cost hasn't been mentioned yet. With only one B in its casting cost this card is much more splashable than the Jzam. And in this multicolored environment I believe he is better.

Bottom line 4c for a 5/5 is hard to come by. The draw back is small compared to the potentiol good this guy can do. And I'f your worried about blue, make your own controll deck. Splashing in black for a this great kill card.

Daggertooth

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
While the 3 life downside is not happy, it doesn't have to be paid. You could just make a 3/3. True, it might not be a powerhouse, but against decks that use bouncing spells or counterspells, most of the creatures that could kill it would die in the process as well. The only exceptions I can think of are:

Troublesome Spirit
Air Elemental(Soon to be replaced with Mahamoti Djinn)
Blinding Angel(Soon to be sided with Serra Angel)
Evil Eye of Orms-By-Gore

That's about it. Against a deck that plain and simple has no blue, the only spells to worry about are:

Terminate(soon to be sided with Diabolic Edict)
Exile
Light of Day

That's about it. So. looking at both sides, sure, it has it's downsides, but only against certain decks. If that happens, don't pay kicker 1st game and then side it out. Against any other deck, BEAT DOWN

Ransac, always ready to defend his favorite cards.

F

FoundationOfRancor

I agree with Ransac and Daggertooth, they really got it down.

S

SenenCito

Ransac has the best point IMO, what makes Scuta greatest is versatility and the everlasting question:

To kicker or not to kicker??...now THAT is the question

X

xreemer

As long as dark ritual is around, and it always will be in casual play, this is a second turn 5/5. Though I've seen much better than this, if the opponent can't deal with it quickly, they'll either lose a lot of chunk blockers or lose the game. Three life is a small price to pay for this.