Phantom Creatures

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Tabasco, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Tabasco DDR Fanatic

OK suppose your playing a phantom creature with a toughness booster in play. If the last +1/+1 token comes off does the ability still trigger or does it simply die??

Phantom Centaur

Has 1.... +1/+1 counter left and blocks an elf, however there is a spidersilk armor in play. does the centaur live after another block??

YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!!!!!
  2. Jigglypuff Big Cute Pink Thing

The Phantom creatures' ability to prevent damage still works even if it has no counters left. Of course, they need some other toughness-boosting effect, such as Spidersilk Armor.

(- Steve -)
  3. train The Wildcard!!!...

Puff got it... When are you going to test Puff? - are you planning on it?...

If you look at it - It's the way the card is worded that does this...

The damage is prevented first, then it tries to remove a counter...

Kind of like:

If damage would be dealt to PC, prevent it. remove a counter if there is one on the centaur...

Do note - that if something else put a +1/+1 counter on the PC - it would have to be removed as this ability resolved.

If for some reason it had a +2/+2 counter - it would not have to be removed... Even counters have characteristics...

;)
  4. EricBess Active Member

The key to this is that removing a counter from the Phantom is part of the resolution of the ability, not a cost of the ability. And it is not worded to be dependant upon being able to remove the counter.
  5. train The Wildcard!!!...

Now where's them +2/+2 counters...;)
  6. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

Ahem...

Green and White anyone?

Build a deck based around mirrari's wake, ancestral slate, soletary confinement, and your little Phantoms...

Just a little something that could go nicely if tuned correctly.
  7. train The Wildcard!!!...

You could buy the judgement pre-con...

comes with Wakes, Phantoms and all...
  8. Ferret CPA Founder, Slacker

On MTGO, a popular deck style uses lots of Phantom critters and Mirari's Wake to boost their P/T. It keeps them alive and they can just keep attacking you until you go squish....

-Ferret

"kinda' expensive to build, though..."
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

buy the precons...;)
  10. Nightstalkers Creature — Nightstalker

When buying a lot of packs isn't enough, buy a precon or two instead.
  11. train The Wildcard!!!...

That's how I got the wakes I needed...;)

Precons are the same online... and they're still in WoTC's store right?...(haven't been on in a while....)
  12. Tabasco DDR Fanatic

I have 4 Phantom Centaurs and Many other Phantom creatures.

So thoeretically Play them with worship and as long as there is no terror, oh wait even that won't kill the centaur.............hehe perfect.
  13. train The Wildcard!!!...

All you'd have to do then is use something to boost their toughness... and something to protect your enchantments...

remember not to lose life, or pay life though...;)
  14. Offline New Member

The wake won't come out untill mid game though. unless your running alot of quick mana like birds and wild growth or something...(I would still run four birds.)
    A quicker and more early game stratigy though is to play Leonon's semitar. it costs one and equips for one. it gives the creature +1/+1. so your phantom lives.
    I had a deck based around this that i actually took apart the other day. It's good. but i think theres better things in extended. Mono balck controll kills this deck.
    4 Birds
    4 phantom tigers
    4 phantom centuars
    4 phantom nomads
    2 wake
    2 glorious anthem
    4 rampant growth
    4 leonon's semitar
    4 rancor
    2 ivory mask
    4 life burst
    2 Lifespark spellbomb

The reason i had so much life gain in the deck was due to zombies and Mono black. they like you to lose life, not take damage. I only put in 2 wake's and 2 glorius anthem to keep the mana curve flowing better. Rancore makes sure your creatures are dealing some damage even if blocked. I didn't like the flying phantom bird thing because it costs 5 mana, not frendly to the mana curve. It's alright though. not bad. for land, the green /white sac land is good and i would play at least two waistlands in the main deck due to all the other nasty non basic lands out there in extended right now. I alos had 4 naturlizes in the side board against tohse people who like C.O.P's and worship.
  15. train The Wildcard!!!...

For a nice third turn wake -

Krosan verge, pitch elvish spirit guide for green, bird, done...
    play forest, bird for wild growth on forest, forsest to sac verge go get plains and forest...

third turn land, wake, then land, then 2 mana for something new...

;)

of course - you could just lotus, pearl, land, wake... on first turn...:rolleyes: