Perplexing Chimera + Cloudshift

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Terentius, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Terentius The Instigator

I control Perplexing Chimera, opponent casts a spell, I Cloudshift Chimera. Does his ability on the opponents' spell still resolve, and do I get to keep the "new" Chimera borne from Cloudshift?
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Your question is a bit unclear. Perplexing Chimera's triggered ability has a "may" in it. The ability won't do anything automatically. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think your idea goes something like this...

-Opponent casts spell
    -Choose to swap the spell with Chimera
    -While Chimera's ability is still on the stack, target Chimera with Cloudshift
    -Let Cloudshift resolve, exiling Chimera and then putting Chimera back onto the battlefield
    -Let Chimera's ability resolve, swapping nonexistent pre-Cloudshift version of Chimera with opponent's spell
    -Profit!

If that's the case, then no, this totally does not work. The exchange ability is countered if the Chimera is no longer there to make the exchange.

For some good news, if you want a one-mana spell that lets you keep your Perplexing Chimera, there's Brand. You swap their spell with your Chimera, then after they get the Chimera, you cast Brand. They could swap control of the Chimera with your Brand, but that wouldn't do anything for them. Your opponent does still technically gain control of the Chimera temporarily, and could potentially sacrifice it to something or whatever, but that's the closest I can think of to a working version of your intended combo.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Yep, it pretty much comes down to the Ruling on the card from Gatherer:

And Cloudshifting definitely causes the Chimera to leave the battlefield :)
  4. Terentius The Instigator

Ah... should probably have checked Gatherer first. Thanks!
  5. Terentius The Instigator

Venser Sojourner too, yes?
  6. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Indeed. Venser would combo nicely with Perplexing Chimera, since you could use the ability repeatedly and accrue loyalty while doing so.
  7. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Unfortunately, you can only use it whenever you could cast a sorcery. So it isn't as good a an instant that can be used during an opponents turn.
    But since the ability isn't a spell it won't trigger the Chimera.
    Interesting interaction though.
  8. Terentius The Instigator

Turn to Mist also! Though, like Brand, it's a spell that Chimera could affect.
  9. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Not that I think it's a particularly good combo, but I want to clarify that Brand is usually not at all as risky as Turn to Mist, which was why I pointed it out in the first place. With Brand, if they don't choose to exchange the Chimera for it, you get your Chimera back. If they do choose to exchange the Chimera for it, they get nothing. The only time the Chimera's ability matters as far as Brand is concerned is when other permanents have switched controllers, something that you can pretty easily avoid doing: you wouldn't play Brand in a deck alongside Perplexing Chimera if you were planning to use other cards to steal your opponent's stuff. In contrast, Turn to Mist is something that opponents could pretty realistically exploit by switching control of it with the Chimera and then targeting something else, like a creature with an ETB triggered ability (and those are pretty common).
  10. Terentius The Instigator

I see. The source of the magic in Turn to Mist, Mistmeadow Witch, would work like Venser... but her ability costs four so screw that.