Oversoul plays in a Legacy tournament...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
And it's been a long time. But last night, I did just that. Actually, both of my teammates have posted here at one time or another, but you guys would probably only remember one. Anyway, I went there with unsanitarypigs and Al0ysiusHWWW. And I got paired up against both of them! I played my oldest surviving deck: my Burn deck (it's been changed a whole lot, but it's been around since 2000 or so and I think the only cards that were in it then that are still there now are Fireblasts or something because now even the Lightning Bolts have been switched out for newer ones so that Al0ysiusHWWW could have the whole deck be black-bordered). I'll play a real Legacy deck soon, but this was a good warm up...

...or something?

I don't have the decklist, but it's a Burn deck, so it should be pretty easy to imagine. First round I played unsanitarypigs and his CounterTop deck. I lost. The next two rounds were against total scrub decks. Then I barely pulled off a win againt Al0ysiusHWWW, who was probably a bit annoyed with his luck in the tournament. He went 2-2, losing to me and to another CounterTop deck. I took 4th because of the messed up ranking system the store used, but unsanitarypigs took 1st.

Pros:
-Cave-In. Al0ysiusHWWW doesn't like the cost associated with it and it is a bit sketchy, I'll admit. He put two copies in the sideboard and I was never unhappy to see them.
-Rift Bolt. Might seriously have been my MVP for the night. Burn is so different now that it has twice as many bolts.
-Tarmogoyfs for $75 each. We picked some up because they're usually so much more.
-Unsanitarypigs winning the tournament.

Cons:
-Me getting matched up against both of my teammates.
-Drawing 12 Mountains and 4 fetchlands in one game, thereby losing to Scute Mob.
-Not getting a really good hand throughout the tournament.
-Screwing up by letting unsanitarypigs use Counterbalance with Brainstorm on top to counter my suspended Rift Bolts. For shame.
-Maindeck Price of Progress when half my opponents ran only basic lands.
-Skullscorch. Ugh.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
How many people total played and what were the scrub decks? Actually, for that matter, what kind of decks were people playing overall?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I didn't get an exact count, but I heard the number 14, which sounds about right. CounterTop was the most popular archetype. I also saw a Painter's Grindstone deck and some sort of monoblack control. Al0ysiusHWWW played his own creation, a sort of mono-artifact Stax deck, and unsanitarypigs played CounterTop with Progenitus. I think there were two other CounterTop decks. The first scrub deck I played against was a green/blue deck, the only cards of which I saw were BoP, Scute Mob, Clone, Brainstorm, Counterspell, Harrow, Forest, Island, and some other green creature. The other one was a vampires deck designed for Standard (although unsanitarypigs, who also played against it, told me that it would be a bad deck in Standard too). I didn't get a look at the rest of the decks.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Counterbalance/top should be the worst matchup for burn. I figured you'd be playing a combo deck.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
ANT isn't finished yet. I might play it next time.

There are a lot of bad matchups for Burn really. I think the worst is probably Belcher. What's Burn going to do? Outrace it? At least CounterTop leaves a window of opportunity for some damage to get through. It takes over the game after a few turns, but Burn should win by then (and I never did in this tournament, but in principle this deck can only be faster than the version I used to play that did, so whatever).

The Stax build Al0ysius was using is a pretty bad matchup for Burn, as he could potentially lock Burn down on the first turn.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
So why did you pick burn? Just because you had it assembled? The format is pretty good for a Zoo deck, which you should be familiar with.

A pity you live so far away, I have several decks for Legacy lying around and gathering dust. Even a combo deck (Entomb Hulk). Even a storm combo deck, if you dare to play elves in this format ;)

T

train

Cool deal on 4th...

Do you have fireblasts in the deck?

Citadel of Pain and Price of glory are my favorites to run against any blue... and when you sideboard, if you do, make sure you have the pyroblasts and boils in there...

Maybe look at something to utilize your land when you don't need it - like land's edge or seismic assault...

:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I didn't really pick it. Al0ysius had played it in a previous tournament before he got his Stax deck ready (and it's still not optimized), so yeah, I guess we just happened to have it assembled.

We might build Zoo eventually. As for Entomb Hulk, the other guy in our group, who didn't attend this tournament, is stuck on that deck. But I'm going for ANT (and possibly Belcher too). Still need the Tutors and a few other cards...

There actually was a guy (who did quite well) that played aggro elves. I think unsanitarypigs faced him in the last round and crushed him from what I heard, but I didn't actually see the deck.

Train: Yes, I always, always, always use 4x Fireblast in any burn deck. I didn't use Boil, but the sideboard did have 2x Pyroblast and 2x REB. Also in the sideboard were Meltdown (which I never drew), Cave-In, Tormod's Crypt (never faced any graveyard-exploiting decks), and Magus of the Moon (which I never drew). Seismic Assault is great in Loam decks, but I was only interested in hitting people with burn spells. I did draw 16 lands in one game, but it really must have just been bad luck. Since Al0ysius updated the deck, it is running fewer lands and also running fetches that thin land out of the deck. I should have been drawing burn, burn, and more burn. But thanks to my luck I was drawing lots and lots of lands instead.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
ANT seems to fit your vintage preferences indeed. If you're looking for a nice dark ritual based combo deck (that's probably a bit cheaper as well), look for Ill Gotten Gains (Iggy pop).

Entomb Hulk plays like reanimator, which is my favorite archetype. I was looking for a deck to put my FoW's in, and it was either this or UB reanimator. I never play it though, I like the versability of survival (although I'm disappointed by my inability to get me a Loyal Retainer...). In all fairness, I wouldn't recommend either deck unless you love playing around graveyard hate.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Yeah, I would totally play IGGy Pop or Contract Tendrils or something if I didn't have to worry about pesky opponents trying to stop me. Some players manage graveyard-based decks, but I don't think I'd go for it in this environment.

Survival is a bit of an exception because when it's done right, graveyard hate alone shouldn't ever stop it. Still, graveyard hate is good enough that any decks relying on the graveyard have to be really, really powerful to compensate for it. That's why I'm glad they unbanned Entomb.