Overall Deck

H

Homestar

hey guys, i was just wonderin, what kind of decks do you think are the best? i dont kno why but im leanin towards protection. what colors do you suggest i should put into a deck? what are your favorite combos. im open to anything so just gimme ur opinions

Edit: my bad i put it the wrong section :)

N

Nightstalkers

(Yeah, it'll be moved to Decks whenever Spidey slings by again...)

T2:
Everyone seemed to be going with either G/W, or straight black decks during the odyssey block. But I think you should center around Artifacts/Green or just straight G/W artifact removal/beatdown.

T1/Casual:
Have you thought of going blue? (shutup Train, its a great dominating color)

Nightstalker Habuki

R

Rooser

Homestar, it's nice to see some eager new faces 'round here!

Just some friendly advice to the new guy: you might want to be a little more sparing with your threads. You don't want your threads to relegated to the "classic questions" forum, (For those questions you've heard a million times before...), do you? Understand that we may be "casual," but we've been in the game for a long time and it can be a little hard to say something we haven't heard before.

Besides, I think it's a bit nicer to respond to other threads more than start your own. I post a lot, but it's not too often that I start a new thread.

Anyway, to answer your question, if I consider the three basic deck archetypes - control, aggro and combo - I think historically control has been the best type of deck. However, times are achangin'. Well sort of - control will always be dominant in older formats because the older cards lean toward control decks.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest a blue-white control deck. Some counterspells, some card drawing, some removal like Wrath of God, Akroma's Vengeance and Swords to Plowshares. Get some Mishra's Factories to act as your Wrath-proof attackers and throw in a few good kill conditions - Serra Angel, Morphling, Exalted Dragon. Hard to go wrong with classic blue-white control!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Rooser
Homestar, it's nice to see some eager new faces 'round here!

Just some friendly advice to the new guy: you might want to be a little more sparing with your threads. You don't want your threads to relegated to the "classic questions" forum, (For those questions you've heard a million times before...), do you? Understand that we may be "casual," but we've been in the game for a long time and it can be a little hard to say something we haven't heard before.

Besides, I think it's a bit nicer to respond to other threads more than start your own. I post a lot, but it's not too often that I start a new thread.

Anyway, to answer your question, if I consider the three basic deck archetypes - control, aggro and combo - I think historically control has been the best type of deck. However, times are achangin'. Well sort of - control will always be dominant in older formats because the older cards lean toward control decks.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest a blue-white control deck. Some counterspells, some card drawing, some removal like Wrath of God, Akroma's Vengeance and Swords to Plowshares. Get some Mishra's Factories to act as your Wrath-proof attackers and throw in a few good kill conditions - Serra Angel, Morphling, Exalted Dragon. Hard to go wrong with classic blue-white control!
Kjeldoran Outpost...

T

train

Don't start another blue player...

Blue is bad, bad, bad...

Stick to all non-blue decks...

Stompy, and sligh are good beginning decks - advancing from there would be white weenie, and combo...;)

D

DeathMaster666

Blue would be good if you want to piss people off (which I do). If you are playing casual, make a deck with 24 counters, 4 Capsize's, 4 Whispers of the Muse, 4 Big Creatures (I. E. Morphling or Mahamoti Djinn), and 24 Islands. You can make people mad this way.

D

DeathMaster666

Blue Elemental Blast :eek: :eek: :cool: :D ;) :confused: :) :D :cool:
Thats right, I was bored waiting for the 60 second Post timer.

H

Homestar

yea man all like 2 or 3 months ive been playing (lol) i had this instant attraction to blu and white decks. thats what i have now and its more of a protection deck (hallowed healers, Rop's, story circles etc......)

and train, whats so bad about blue?

T

train

Blue stinks... period.

It is so powerful that it breaks every other color... even green and red... it's enemies... Mystic Snake, and Frenetic Efreets for example... No other color can do that... And by itsself is sickly wrong...

I used to play it, but started coming up with some sick combos, and it just wasn't fun anymore. It's wrong what I could do, anyone could do, to people if Blue played true blue...

It's a game - not a power/control war... it doesn't use thought... if that's what you want - find yourself an aggressive dominatrix...

;)

And by the way - I give more credit to the blue decks that utilize some sort of thought process in the building of the deck... but they're still blue.

:rolleyes:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think the big mistake was the printing of that broken fish. I mean, Train, don't you think you'd hate blue somewhat less if there'd never been a Mystic Remora? I know obviously there are the other tricks like Timetwister, Ancestral Recall, Mana Drain, Time Walk, Force of Will, Braingeyser, Arcane Denial, Intuition, Boomerang, Stroke of Genius, Sleight of Mind, Morphling, Dream Halls, Dimishing Returns, Accumulated Knowledge, Counterspell, Ophidian, Rainbow Efreet, Force Spike, Arcane Laboratory, Time Spiral, Equlibrium, Hurkyl's Recall, Donate, Windfall, Mind over Matter, Meditate, Daze, Attunement, Thieving Magpie, Mana Leak, Power Sink, Time Warp, Frantic Search, Tinker, Gush, Back to Basics, Treachery, Capsize, Palinchron, Rebuild, Snap, Opposition, Aura Thief, Forbid, Mana Severance, Energy Field, Tradewind Rider, Intruder Alarm, Volrath's Shapeshifter, Curiosity, Mystical Tutor, Merchant Scroll, Stasis, Impulse, Brainstorm, Prosperity, Mana Short, Illusions of Grandeur, High Tide, Lord of Atlantis, Recall, Power Artifact, Serendib Efreet, the list goes on and on...

But the Remora's the real killer...

T

train

The remora is the worst - after island...;)

Well - my whole view is that they could have created Magic without Blue to start with... 4 colors would have been just as well... they couldn't play "enemy colors" as well - but the game would be more of a game, than a 2 letter word - "No"..

:)

M

mythosx

Hey homestar I understand your draw to blue and white. I too was a blue mageaholic. I recommend you play some elvish beat down or some mono black to get out of it. At first its appealing, the idea of never losing any permant, never taking damage and never allowing you opponent to do anything. However, magic like every other game/conflict rewards aggresiveness. You can sit there for twenty turns countering everything and protecting against everything and killing some one with a flying 1/1 i've done it. but its ghetto lame. Suicide red could wake you up to. Love that suicide red.

H

Homestar

.dude i play red all the time. but i dont play it suicide. i have a few isochron sceptars and talons of pain in my red deck so i put pulse of the forge on the scepter and puttalons of pain out with it and do MAJOR damage. in fact, i dont think i have ever lost with my red deck:rolleyes:

M

mythosx

How do you imprint pulse of the forge onto a scepter?

both the scepter and the talon are not red cards? teee hee...just being a stickler.

And you ever want to see the best direct damage spell ever its gotta be the OG...lightning bolt.

T

train

Suicide White Blue isn't a bad idea...

I personally place Chain Lightning above Lightning Bolt, but think both are beat out by Firestorm...