Orim's Geddon

When you sat down to play against this deck, you'd think...

• I'll steal their deck!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NOOO! I am ruined!

• This will be a good game!

• What a pile! Who could play such trash?

• Total voters
L

Landkiller

1cc
4 Llanowar Elf
4 Birds of Paradise
4 Wax/Wane
4 Orim's Chant

2cc
4 Llanowar Knight

3cc
4 Fleetfoot Panther
3 Tangle Wire
3 Armadillo Cloak

4cc
4 Armageddon

5cc
2 Shivan Wurm

Land
10 Forests
6 Plains
4 Elfhame Palace
4 Rith's Lair

Z

Zadok001

Interesting deck...

I'm curious about the 'Geddon/Chant interaction - Is it good? There's a lot of ways to look at it.

When it comes down to the bone, 'Geddon is all about card advantage. You play 'Geddon, and suddenly the cards in your opponent's hand are really, really bad. You, on the other hand, already have your threat and/or still have your mana, so you don't get hit as hard. Your opponent's hand basically gets removed, and you still have your stuff - Card advantage, and lots of it.

So, does Orim's Chant interact well? On the one hand, you can play the Chant to draw a guaranteed counterspell, so it can help you get the 'Geddon through. On the other hand, once you've 'Geddoned, Chant does very little other than annoy. If you 'Geddon, you have the advantage - Chant doesn't really assist you post-Geddon.

Thoughts?

C

Chaos Turtle

Right.
The Chant can buy you the 3rd turn, while you play something for 2 mana. In that use, it's good.

Post-Geddon, though, it's not terribly useful, since the only thing it will be good for, for awhile, is preventing attcks from the opponent's creatures. But, hopefully they don't have any. Besides, that particular use of Chant costs WW, which might be hard for you to cough up after an Armageddon.

As for the rest of the deck, going 3-color is very risky in a 'Geddon strategy.

I can see where a Lair might be useful -- by tapping 3 lands, laying a Lair and bouncing one of the tapped lands, then playing 'Geddon. You can save one of your lands this way and get a jump on your opponent.

My instinct, however, is to shy away from this, as it really requires you to play 4 Lairs, which I really don't like to do. Aside from that, there's the problem of not getting the colors you need.

Add to this the fact that Shivan Wurm costs 5 mana to play, which is exactly one more than you want any creature to cost in a 'Geddon deck. It's the same reason why Mungha-Geddon never made it.

So if you really want to go 3-color (to take advantage of the Lair's gating effect) I recommend you go with Sparkcaster, a 5/3 gater for 2RG that pings when it comes into play. It's plenty big enough to hurt your opponent and can be played in the tempo that 'Geddon decks need to be played.

I'd also remove the Orim's Chants (sorry) in favor of another Tangle Wire and 2 Disenchants. You might even want to use Aura Mutation, if you don't expect artifacts to be a problem.

Finally, I'd pull the Armadillo Cloaks in favor of Blastoderm (the 4th Chant make rom for the 4th 'Derm) because, well, why aren't you playing Blastoderm? You'll probably get it out on turn 3, and the Fleetfoot Panther resets it.

See, with more creatures, and good interaction between them, you can hold your own in games where you don't draw the 'Geddon.

One more note: beware Simoon. Fires (and any other R/G) will wipe out your creature-mana base, then beat the crap out of you. I'm not suggesting any changes for this, only caution when playing against R/G.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Speaking of which, why *isnt* there a Mungha-Geddon deck?

D

Darsh

Because of this?

You can't untap more than one land during your untap phase.

You can't cast Armageddon the turn after you cast this.

T

The Magic Jackal

Actually, g/w angelgeddon is highly underrated in the current type two format. It can beat fires pretty consistanly, and it's aggressive enough to beat control decks. It's only real problem is b/r. Orim's chant is an excellent addition to the deck. Think of it this way. Vs. the fires match up.You can drop a turn 1 birds, turn two noble panther. Turn 3 cloak it and attack for 5 (10 point life swing). Then chant on your opponents turn. Your stopping either a Burst (if he went first) or a blasto/leech (if you went first). If you opponent went first and dropped a blasto turn 3, then you match up w/ the cloak on you panther on your 3rd turn w/ 1 untapped mana. You opponent isn't going to block and let you first strike you panther and kill a free derm, so then you chant and prevent the burst. Then on your turn 4 you can drop the blinding angel (uh oh). And swing for another 5 (25 - 10 now). Ideally you would like to geddon the next turn and end the game, but that's basically what an ideal draw looks like. As long as your bird stays along long enough, you should be able to easily come out w/ the win.

C

Chaos Turtle

What am I thinking of then?

*checks*

Of course, I meant Thresher Beast.

I get so confused... I tried Mungha, Thresher, and Darba, each in their own versions of 'Geddon decks. Unfortunately, it seems that each of these fatties was specifically designed not to be used with Armageddon.

Evil R&D swine. ;)

As far as Magic Jackal's assertion that Angel'Geddon is a good deck vs Fires goes, I agree. But I'm no longer convinced that Armadillo Cloak is the way to go, with Terminate as the newest addition to creature-kill, and black/red apparently on the rise.

I also agree with the Orim's Chant assessment in the early game, but stand by my opinion that it is not so good post-'Geddon. Then again, if you get a big enough jump on the opponent, maybe you don't care what it does post-'Geddon.

T

The Magic Jackal

In the present type two, most people don't both splashing white to deal w/ disenchants. Cloak takes advantage of that. IF you can get an early cloak (rive boa is sweet because it regens), they probably won't be able to deal you enough damage quick enough to kill you. Post-Planeshift, Fires has hull breech, they best possible sideboard card they could have ever wanted. It is good against u/w (moat, diamonds, millstone, storyciricle) mirror (fires, burst, idol- big swing in the game here, rebel (crusade, wave, idol) and g/w (cloak, wave, idol). It's definitely the best sb for type two- even over gaea's herald.