• I am really going to miss it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'll miss it but I'll get over it.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Whatever.

• I think Blue is more balanced now.

• I will never miss it in T2, GOOD RIDDANCE!

• Total voters
N

Nightstalkers

What! a game like magic needs a cheap oink suped up card every now and again...

Now what? Call of the Herd :confused:

Ferret

Staff member
Now, Blue may have to wait a couple of turns before saying "NO!" to every spell you try to play. It's a good thing. They still have some counters - just not the one that makes you fear those two untapped Islands...

-Ferret

"Now, if they could just slow down Black a little..."

N

Nightstalkers

speed down black?! Are you kidding me!? black has been specially cropped to be the next blue scourge!

Black doesn't need too long now to say "You die now", but still has some ways to go as of yet.

If they reprint Drain Life, I'll send'em me frozen heart.

M

Mikeymike

I think good counter spells are necessary for a balanced environment - they keep combo decks in check.

And I do know that WotC states that they took all the problems cards away - but that's a bunch of BS.
1) They can't predict every combo, and its doubtful they see many of them before they hit the streets.
2) They just missed Mind's Desire.

Given the current state of the environment, a slower-building combo deck now has the opportunity to come out and play. But if a fast one develops, and there are always fast combos, the only thing that can stop it is direct destruction.

It also turns slow control (mass removal) into a very strong archtype b/c there is little that can be done to stop the control player's mass card-advantage spells.

We'll see if this actually happens.

I just don't think it was a smooth move for WotC to anally violate blue the way it has recently in the last few years.
1 - Counter quality is down, with nail in the coffin just delivered in 8th.
2 - Choke, Boil, and Defense Grid are now in 8th.
3 - Storm is an entirely anti-blue mechanic
4 - Blue bounce is pretty atrocious right now
5 - Blue card drawing is not very good.

I am a green mage through and through, but the game is its most fun when the environment is balanced - and with a weak blue it is not balanced.

N

Notepad

May the 9-year-old Counterspell burn in a hell filled with Catholic priests for its sins. Nuf said.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Mikeymike. Blue decks don't rule all (or it would have been taken away a long time ago).

However, I also agree that WOTC is doing its thing by shaking up the environment by taking it away. Who knows, it could be back in 9th.

A

Apollo

I don't like countermagic all that much, but I do like Counterspell. Get rid of all the other countermagic out there if you have to, but leave Counterspell. At the risk of sounding cliched, it's just one of those things that have to be in Magic.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I am sorely going to miss counterspell, being a counterbitch myself. It was a staple in most original decks that I made(keep in mind that most decks I make are based soley around the concept of forcing my opponent to not play the game. These decks always win for me).

I praise R&D on trying to balance the colors(which'll probably never happen), but completely oinking on the one that is complained about the most(heh-heh-heh) is completely bogus. I have yet to see a decent Type 2 mono-blue deck since Masques left Standard. Sure, it's been a complementary color in so many other decks, but nowadays it can't cope by itself. Red and Black can, Green could, White is a stretch but it has sufficient power to due so. Blue is slowly being turned into the "bitch" color, largely in part to many people complaining about the fact that it stops spells from being played(how many people here can honestly say that they've never wished for Islands to be banned?).

They've even started migrating card-drawing(Blue's other forte) to green(however, blue's card-drawing power is still vastly superior). How else will we continue to deplore this color??

Sure, everybody has complained about "I would've won had he not countered my 'such-and-such'". But, I have heard equally as many complaints about "That damn Wrath of God", "Why did they even print Glory", "Wild Mongrel is ludicris", "I hate Visara", and "OW!!!!!! YOU THREW YOUR SHELKIN BROWNIE RIGHT IN MY EYE!!!!!(you knew I had to lighten up eventually)".

Plain and simple, every color needs power/broken cards. The game isn't interesting otherwise. Singles sales will go down unless there's a bomb rare that each player wants to get there hands on(no, Visserdrix is not a bomb rare). I honestly feel that the game needs to be even........yet broken, to be fun. And, let me tell you, I have progressively been playing less and less magic since Onslaught block began.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

Rooser

What bothers me is that they've been giving cards to red and green, (Especially green), that tear down blue's defense strategies while at the same time screwing over blue's card base. I think it should be one or the other.

I said this elsewhere, but I think the problem is that they print too many counterspells. Counterspell is strong in T2 because it can be preceded by Force Spike and followed by Circular Logic or Liquify. Once upon a time there was only Counterspell and Power Sink, and it was good. If they kept it at a small handful of solid counterspells while simultaneously continuing to print the solid and versatile blue-hate cards, I think things will be much better.

M

Mikeymike

And Fervent Denial as well...

Oh wait, that sucks.
What bothers me is that they've been giving cards to red and green, (Especially green), that tear down blue's defense strategies while at the same time screwing over blue's card base. I think it should be one or the other.
Good point Rooser. Why hose a color when there is nothing worth hosing?

R

Rooser

Yeah. I think they should keep blue strong, just give the other colors ways to punch it in the face real good.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mark Rosewater has said recently (either in one of his articles or "Ask Wizards" that blue has been getting the shaft lately but will be on the upswing later.

N

Nightstalkers

when the artists start naggin, you know there's a problem

N

Notepad

>> Why hose a color when there is nothing worth hosing?

Two reasons: They want to attract newbies to the game. And Green is the color newbies like most, with Red second. So they boost Green and Red, and kill off their enemy Blue.

Second reason is this is all the plot of a You Make the Card in an alternate universe, where everything is the same, but they ran a You Make the Set instead.