Open Letter From TMOB

C

ChasDen

An open letter to all CPA members
The Magic Obsession

Hello,

Over the last few weeks we have been contacted by several of your founding members about hosting you site. Let me begin by providing a little background about who TMOB is. About a year ago my wife (Kathy) and I decided to turn our expensive little hobby into a small part time business. We began selling extra’s on ebay. Within 2 months I had quit my job and turned to selling full time. Shortly thereafter Kathy also quit her job and together we dove in full time. We sell strictly mail order and on ebay. We do not have Regular store hours (I wish J) and find ourselves working as much as 12 to 15 hours a day. We sell ONLY Magic cards, and receive new shipments every week. We are in the process of setting up our online store that will utilize the Miva Merchant software allowing a simple point and click interface making shopping online a breeze. About a week ago we contracted with OLM to host our site and uploaded a mirror of our current site to magic-singles.com. We hope to have the new site up and running within the next 10 days.

Below I will outline what we are willing to do for your organization and the equipment and features that would be available to you.

The server we are on is a dual pent II 400/450. The operating system is a customized version of redhat with the power Apache web server. The OLM N.O.C features completely redundant power systems, with both natural gas powered generators and APC battery backup units.
At this time we are allowed the following:
Disk Space 300 Megs
Site Traffic/Month 5 gigs
Front Page 2000 extensions installed
Other Features Included:
Apache 1.3.4
Mod_auth_dbm module
Mod_rewrite module
Mod_auth_db
PHP3
Secure Server
Wusage 6.0
Unlimited E-mail Redirects:
Subscribable Maillists
Unlimited Autoresponders Aliases
Real cgi-bin
Preinstall cgi Scripts Include
Formmail
Cgiemail
Quiz Master
Postcards
Vote/survey
Whois
Click and go
Simple site Search
Power site Search
Free for all links
Random text display
Graphical counter
Text based counter
Anonymous Ftp
Real Audio G2 Version 6.0
Real Video G2 Version 6.0
MSQL 2.0.3 Access
MYSQL Access
Miva Empress
Cron Jobs
SSH
Programming languages Include:
Java jdk 1.1.5
Python 1.4
TCL
C++
Perl5
Key Perl modules beside the standard ones:
DBI 1.06
LWP 5.36
HTML-parser 2.20
CGI.pm 2.49
MIME-Base64 2.06
MD5 1.17
libnet 1.0605
DBD 2.0091 (includes DBD::mysql and DBD::mSQL)
GD.pm 1.18
IO-stringy-1.203

What We are willing to do is assign your group a sub directory off our Domain that would be strictly for your personal use. You would have direct access to that directory to do as you choose as long as you adhere to the rules and terms of service of OLM (Basically: No Adult Content, No “Massive” download sites and No FTP of protected or copyrighted material). You would also have indirect access to the CGI directory and all of its programs. You would be able to call on and use all included programs but will not have access to upload directly into it. I will gladly upload any programs you may have once I have looked at them. At this time we will not be able to offer you a “virtual” name (CPA.com) but will be able to assign you www.magic-singles.com/CPA(or whatever you want). Your group email address would be: CPA(or whatever you want)@magic-singles.com. We do have unlimited email auto responders and email redirects and would gladly set some up for you email names. We would be willing to provide all of the above for FREE except for the following:
A one time setup fee to add an additional login account.
Pop only one time 5.00 setup
Pop/FTP one time 10.00 setup
Pop/FTP/Telnet one time 20.00 setup
There are no monthly charges for the above add-ons
If we exceed our transfer limit we will receive an email warning before this actually occurs. We would be required to purchase extra traffic at 2.00 per 100megs or 20.00 per gig. If your site is consuming ½ or more of our traffic your portion of the excess would be passed on to you. If it ever gets to that point you really should look at your own hosting service because that would be an enormous amount of traffic.

As a group please assign someone who you would like to “speak” for you. How you decide on that person is up to you but we would like to have a “contact” person to deal with on CPA matters. This will eliminate any confusion that may arise because to many people are involved. I would also like to work with you on a way to offer our Obsessed Partner Program to your members. We now charge a one time $10. fee to join. We do this to cover some of our time in setting up the program and help weed out those who really will not use it. It does require some bookkeeping on our end, but I would like to figure out a way to offer it. (Just thinking out loud). Please let me know who will be your contact and once I hear from them I will get the ball rolling on setting up the access. I would also need to know which of the following you would like:
Pop only one time 5.00 setup
Pop/FTP one time 10.00 setup
Pop/FTP/Telnet one time 20.00 setup

Questions and comments are always welcome so please do not hesitate to ask. We are concentrating all of our effort right now on getting the Online Store Front done, so it will be the week of 11/8 before we would have something ready for your use.

Sincerely yours,

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

D

Dune Echo

Man, you guys replied fast! Since the site's going up, we need to get some articles out and fast! Ferret, you're still behind me. When are you gonna fix that, bub? I don't have much, but if we can all donate some good uncommons, maybe the contests will be worth having. I always felt that Junun Efreets were under used. (Anybody have 2 for trade?) We are the Casual Player's Alliance. Let's push the value of casual cards! Paralyze is a good card as spot removal for black, but you don't here of it much in the fame department. Thanks for the generosity, Child. I'll send you a card as payment for my share. Any wants I might have?

------------------
Dune Echo

Wondering when Ferret's gonna catch up on the articles he keeps promising...

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I'll be damned. This is too great! Nice work, Kirsin - I'll get to work on some ideas as soon as my brain gets working - I'll see what I can compose this weekend...work's been kind of busy lately...I guess I'll have to re-write the welcom letter - maybe just putting Chuck and Kathy's names in the place of the Evil David Doust.

My friends, it's finaly happening. I think I'm having a pretty good day - even better when the fiance gets here

-ferret

"This rules!"

C

ChasDen

Hello Again,

I see so far the answer would be yes? I have taken the liberty to set up the following: Point your browser to: http://www.magic-singles.com/cpa/index.htm This will let people know that you are working on it. This would be your default index location once the server is set up. I will be out of town this weekend racing and it will probably take the guys at OLM a couple of days to set up the new FTP account so you guys can access the site. So don’t put the carriage before the horse quite yet. Monday maybe a little unrealistic to start pointing people in your direction. Before we can do anything your contact needs to let me know which access options from the post above you guys need. Let me know before Friday and I will get it set up this weekend. Monday when we get back I will make sure that everything works on the site and let (? – Contact) know the password and log on information. Also I can set up an email address for you guys and have the mail automatically forwarded to someone. Give me an email address and I will set it up and put it on the index page.

Ideas:
CPAInfo@magic-singles.com
CPA@magic-singles.com
CPAWebmaster@magic-singles.com
CasualPlayers@magic-singles.com
Or anything else, just let me know.

We are glad we could put a little wind back in your sails.

ENJOY…. life is too short…..

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
WOO-FREAKING-HOO!!

That about sums what I think up.
Anyway, I do have a question though.
Members:
1. What are we gonna do about the domain? I'm gonna check into network-solutions to see if we can get a redirect setup.
2. I have to vote Baron as contact. He is the man who started this all. Hope you feel better! (BTW, I'm feeling much better now Dune
)
4. I vote for cpa@magic-singles.com.
5. RE: The one time fees. If it's an additional FTP access, I'm not sure how much we actually need that. POP mailboxes mean that the mail is saved on the server. A redirect should be fine for us. Telnet is nice, but I would only use it to chmod CGI files, and I can do that via FTP anyway.

Chuck:
1. You said "at this time we will not be able to offer you a “virtual” name...", does that mean it's a possibility in the future?
2. Can I have the website address for OLM?
3. RE: CGI Scripts. Well, I gotta few. We have this UBB, then I have a 2 for memberslists. And can CGI Scripts only be run from the cgi-bin?
4. Got a banner ad you want me to run in place of the current Hypermart banner at http://total-des.hypermart.net/cpa/site/ ?
5. RE: POP/FTP/Telnet fees. That's 1 POP mailbox, an additional FTP login, and 1 Telnet account, correct? So w/o that we still FTP login access.

-mike
<font size="2" color="#FF6000">* Ed Sullivan does a little dance</font>

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
It should be noted that I just changed our domain to forward to www.magic-singles.com/cpa/index.html. It's not working yet, so don't try it.
"Changes should take effect within 24 hours." is what it says on the bottom of the page. But that should avoid the need for a virtual domain on magic-singles.com

-mike
(BTW, Asheron's Call rules!)

Z

Zadok001

Haleljuhah! (I haven't the slightest how to spell that, but it sums up what I'm feeling right now!)

This is so sweet. I'd be happy to contribute whatever you want, I have more excess uncommons than I know what to do with, especially in Destiny.
Hell, I have a few rares I'd be happy to toss in if you want.

As for what we get with this set-up, I think I understood maybe 1/8 of those terms.
Sounds good to me. I'm so not technical.

Anyway, I'm too happy for words right now. This will work, I'm sure. Let's party!

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
YESSSSS!

I am sooo glad this is finally going to get back on track! If there's anything I can do to help get this started please let me know. I'm really looking forward to seeing the site up. This is going to be great!

TomB
CPA Member
"...now I need to find the time to write something!"

D

Dune Echo

WHOOOHOO! The momentum is back, gentlemen. See, Ferret, a couple of days at the most. And all we need to do now is decide who our contact is and which fee needs to be paid. I think we can all pool our resources since Ferret paid for the domain name and send 20.00 to Baron. Also, you guys have got to check out the Obsessed Partner Program! Maybe Chuck and Kathy will give us a little more for joining than they do regularly since we in business together...
And I vote Baron as our contact man as he's the one that leads us here. I think Baron also needs to write an inaugral speech for our announcement on the Dojo and Brain Burst.

11/8 is the day we start, friends. Who's for a national CPA party here?

------------------
Dune Echo

...letting the whole world know everything.

B

Baron Sengir

Hot Damn!!!

Can we actually be up and running in five days?!? Is it actually coming to fruition?!? My god, it's finally gonna happen!!!

I would be more than happy to be the contact guy and will definitely write up a piece for thedojo and brainburst. I just hope they'll print the sucker. I think I'll try mtgnews as well. I'd try newwave but they must be really busy since they can't seem to respond to a single frickin' e-mail ...

This is all too much. I have been recovering from a rather nasty bout with influenza for awhile now and this has done wonders to brighten my day. I'll work on an inaugural article and try to update my weekly one too. It's been about two months since I did, so I'd better get cracking.

I remain
The Baron
High on Drixoral and lovin' every minute of it

C

Child of Gaea

ALRIIIIIIGHTTTTTTT!!!!!!

I will be more than happy to give Baron the money that we need to pay and you guys dont need to worry about sending him any! This small fee is incomparable to what Ferret paid and I am happy to do it!

Now, I am quite computer illiterate and want to know if webtv will be able to access everything on our site(chat, etc...). Also I am wondering what we are going to put up for prizes for contest winners since the prizes will not be donated to us. Any ideas? I have my contest ready to go and will send it to you Ed now that we have a FULL SYSTEMS GO!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!

Child
Awaiting the longest five days of my life!

D

Dune Echo

Zadok, it's HALELUJAH! Just so ya know

I'm glad everyone is getting so excited. Man, everyone's going nuts! So far, I think it will be unanimous for Baron to be the contact guy, so I guess you need to get crackin', Baron! Chuck and Kathy need some info so let's get this goin'! The site's not up yet, but it's inevitable, guys, and TMOB will be great to work with.

Everyone, get some articles up! We need to have enough that we can look good and get people in. Also, I really think TMOB should advertise their Obsessed Partners Program in a banner. When I signed up, I got 10 uncommons (at .25 per card) and half off a Cursed Scroll (7.00). I basically made my investment in the program back just for joining! And free shipping! It's awesome. Everywhere else, uncommons are at least a buck! All I'm hoping for now, is for Chuck and Kathy to be able to get some access to older sets and be able to sell them at low prices.

All in all, the future looks bright right now, doesn't fellas?

[Edited by Dune Echo (11-04-1999 at 06:12 AM).]

------------------
Dune Echo

Wondering when Ferret's gonna catch up on the articles he keeps promising...

C

ChasDen

Hello Ed,

(Q) You said "at this time we will not be able to offer you a “virtual” name...", does that mean it's a possibility in the future?
(A) “At this time” Our account with OLM does not allow us to assign Virtual Domain names. We have considered upgrading our account to a Reseller account that would allow us to do so but that would not be until next year if we do it at all.

(Q) Can I have the website address for OLM?
(A) http://www.hostnew.olm.net

(Q) RE: CGI Scripts. Well, I gotta few. We have this UBB, then I have 2 for memberslists. And can CGI Scripts only be run from the cgi-bin?
(A) All CGI Scripts need to be run from the cgi-bin. We use Microsoft Front Page as our editor and publisher so we have to have Front Page Extensions installed on the site. In short, any attempt to FTP into our main directory, including the cgi-bin will corrupt the extensions and really screw things up. We also have Miva Empresa installed (Check here for what this is: http://www.miva.com/products/engine). I have no problems uploading anything you want to call on from the cgi-bin directory, but I must upload them through the Front Page Explorer so the upload does not corrupt our extensions. (Programming note: PLEASE make sure that anything you have or write into a script, does not write to our main directory. Make sure that it writes only to your sub-directory) The Miva engine is “Site wide” so anything you want to use that is Miva enabled will run. You may find some really cool stuff using miva.

(Q) Got a banner ad you want me to run in place of the current Hypermart banner at http://total-des.hypermart.net/cpa/site/ ?
(A) Not right now. A nice mention on the main page would be fine for now. Once we get the new site up and work out all the bugs, a link to something can be worked out then. Also I “copied” your logo to put on your index page. It was 2 files. Could someone make me a smaller version that is only 1 file that I could put on our site to link to you guys. When the new site is done there will be a left frame that stays on top all the time. I would like to put the link there. Just post it somewhere on you site and I will “grab” it. Our email account is set to refuse any file attachments so if you try to send it to me I will not receive it.

(Q) RE: POP/FTP/Telnet fees. That's 1 POP mailbox, an additional FTP login, and 1 Telnet account, correct? So w/o that we still FTP login access.
(A) At the minimum you NEED to add FTP. That is how you will upload the files to your directory. Some programs use Telnet to upload, edit and view a site. If your programs do not use it you do not need it. (If they did you would probably know it, remember DOS? It looks just like that) More than likely all you will need is option 2) Pop/FTP one time 10.00 setup fee.

Hope this helps

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

B

Baron Sengir

Thank you all for the vote of confidence. I'll be more than happy to be the contact man for the CPA. I'll have an article announcing our existence (again)
up here soon for your proofreading pleasure.

I remain
The Baron
Still giddy ...

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
RE: CGI Scripts
" “At this time” Our account with OLM does not allow us to assign Virtual Domain names. "
--Doesn't matter anymore really. I just set out domain to redirect to the site.

" In short, any attempt to FTP into our main directory, including the cgi-bin will corrupt the extensions and really screw things up. "
-- Wow, that's strange. Sounds like there's no security measure to stop the messing up of the extensions. (
, Dune)
So if I try and FTP to magic-singles.com/, I'd screw up everything? But how? And what if I use Personal Web Server's (PWS) "Publish" feature?

-- So is there anyway I can upload CGI scripts for myself? With PWS? I change these UBB scripts a couple times a week. (I'm learning Perl with it.) And I don't want to be a big burden on you.

Thanks!
-mike

[Edited by Ed Sullivan (11-04-1999 at 02:32 PM).]

T

theorgg

&lt;feels like stripping off all clothes and running around neked. Realizes he IS!&gt;

Wooooo Hooooo!
UAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUAUA!!
JOHN-BOY!
WOOOOOOOO!

I am happy. can you tell?

-theorgg
I'm bigger than I think, I think.

C

ChasDen

Hello Mike,

" In short, any attempt to FTP into our main directory, including the cgi-bin will corrupt the extensions and really screw things up. "
Wow, that's strange. Sounds like there's no security measure to stop the messing up of the extensions. So if I try and FTP to magic-singles.com/, I'd screw up everything? But how? And what if I use Personal Web Server's (PWS) "Publish" feature?

(A) I will assign you a subdirectory that is pass worded. You will receive your own FTP login user ID and Password to access that directory only. The Cgi-bin is located under our main directory, that you will not have access too. So no mater how you upload files to your directory it will not affect us in any way. You can use PWS and quite honestly that would be preferred. Here is the warning that is in the online manual: “Warning: FrontPage Account holders should never use FTP to transfer files as it can damage the FrontPage extensions.” And “NOTE: The extensions are easily corrupted. Please use only FrontPage Explorer to update your web site on the server. Never use FTP.” After discussing the situation with sales, your access to your protected directory will not harm the extensions. If I give you access to the cgi-bin you would have no way of uploading without taking the chance of corrupting the extensions. One solution may be to create …cpa\cgi-bin\ and place your own cgi files there and see if it works. Again it would be important that you make sure that everything is contained within your subdirectory. I do no programming and know just enough to make me dangerous, so I can only go by what I am being told by the sales staff.

So is there anyway I can upload CGI scripts for myself? With PWS? I change these UBB scripts a couple times a week. (I'm learning Perl with it.) And I don't want to be a big burden on you.

(A) I will email you directly later today with a password and log in ID. That will give you the whole weekend to play around and see if the …cpa\cgi-bin will work. If not I will call Customer support Monday when I get back and get another solution.

Chuck Dennewitz
The Magic Obsession

Ed Sullivan

CPA Founder, Web Guy
Staff member
Thanks for the email Chuck. I'll do some fooling around with _my_ directory after dinner (around 6:30 EST).

And I would also like to publicly and formally thank you for all you've done for the CPA and dealing with all my questions.
Thanks for getting us back on our feet!

Oh yeah, I don't mean to decide for the whole group here, but I think we'll go with the $10 POP/FTP thingy. We don't need telnet.

Thanks again!
-mike

B

Baron Sengir

Don't worry about it, Ed. We trust you. I would also like to thank you for helping us to get back on our feet after Mr. Doust abandoned us. I can't tell you how grateful I am.

I remain
The Baron
Letting the world know what Dune doesn't tell them ...

Z

Zadok001

Heh. "We don't need telnet," he says. Hell, I can't speak for everyone, but a more accurate statement would probably be, "We don't even know what on earth telnet IS!"

Ok, time for a real question now.
Ed/Mike, which one of our sites is the one we can visit now for the most recent version? And, is that expected to change in the near future, and if so when? Ok, so that was more like 2 1/2 real questions...

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic
CPA Member
"We have more sprouts than they have hands."