one question

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by manchot_13, Jul 16, 2000.

1. manchot_13 New Member

1. Can a creature with flying block a creature with horsemanship?

2. my friend casts kravecks tourch. i cast daze using the alternative casting cost. he claims i must pay the 2. i claim that returning the island to my hand is instead of the casting cost so i don't. whats the answer?
  2. manchot_13 New Member

3. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

1) As far as I know, there are no rules that govern the inclusion of the horsemanship ability in 6th edition rules games.
    Going strictly by the rules, I'd say that flyers can't block creatures with horsemanship, and creature with horsmansihp can't block flyers, since that's what their rules say.
    Another way to look at it is that, since horsemanship is the equivalent of flying, they are the same ability, and just pretend that "horsemanship" reads "flying" instead.
    You pick. ;)

2) Kaervek's Torch adds 2 to the play cost of spells that target it while it's on the stack. The alternative play cost of Daze only allows you to replace the mana cost* of the spell. All other "additional" costs must be paid.
    So, the "alternate" cost of using Daze on Kaervek's Torch is, "2, Return an island you control to its owner's hand."
    (which is always what is printed on the card itself)
  4. nodnarb24 Supreme Overlord/The Rat King

1.)I don't know anything about hormanship.
    2.) Actually if you do use the alternate casting cast still makes the daze come into play you still have to pay the 2 because kaervek's tourch states "interrupts that target kaervek's torch each cost an additional 2 to play" so no matter how you play the daze you still have to pay 2.
  5. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Isn't that what CT said?
  6. Mikeymike Captain Hiatus

The Same thing goes for Defense Grid and Nether Void, you must pay the extra mana.
  7. manchot_13 New Member

thx.

who am i supposed to write to to get my nick in orange to be:

Twisted Time Mage
  8. Apollo Bird Boy

PM Zadok001 or Child of Gaea for a nickname.

Most people just consider horsemanship to be flying. But technically you can't.
  9. arhar Member

Hey there, mr Bird!

Just let me get on my horse and I'll BLOCK YOUR WAY!!! There's NO WAY you're flying above that mountain!! Uh-huh. Ain't happening!!! Not in this lifetime!!!.....

:D
  10. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

My suggestion:

Creatures with Horsemanship can't be blocked by creatures without Horsemanship or Flying, and Flying creatures can't be blocked by non-flyers.

This would allow the Horsemen (?) to evade the ground-pounders while still being blockable by flying creatures.
    Flying of course is unchanged.
  11. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Here's what d'Angelo has to say about Horsemanship:

A.19 - Horsemanship
    + A.19.1 - The ability is written as "Horsemanship". [D'Angelo 00/06/05]
    + A.19.2 - A creature without Horsemanship cannot block a creature which has
    Horsemanship. [Three Kingdoms FAQ 00/06/05]
    + A.19.3 - Horsemanship is a non-cumulative ability. Having Horsemanship more
    than once gives no additional effect. See Rule A.1.2. [D'Angelo 00/06/05]
    + A.19.4 - Horsemanship is a static ability. See Rule A.3. [D'Angelo 00/06/05]
    + A.19.Ruling.1 - A creature with Horsemanship can block a creature without
    Horsemanship. [D'Angelo 00/06/05]
    + A.19.Ruling.2 - Horsemanship is an evasion ability (see Rule A.13), so it is
    cumulative with other evasion abilities. [D'Angelo 00/06/05]
    + Note - Horsemanship has only been used in the Portal: Three Kingdoms
    expansion.
  12. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Which of course is the strict interpretation I mentioned in my first reply.
    Unfortunately, this leads to some very weird results, as arhar points out.

Since Portal: Three Kingdoms is unlikely to ever be involved with sanctioned Magic (at least not in combination with other sets) I see no problem with "modifying" these rules to fit whatever the players agree on.

But that's just me. :p
  13. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Oh, I agree that's what you first said, CT. But then as the thread progressed, it started to sound like speculation so I thought I'd throw that in.

How about a flying, shadowing, "can't be blocked except by black or artifact", horseman? :)
  14. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I don't think something like that could deal combat damage. :p

(Yes I am kidding.)
    Har-de-har-har. ;)
  15. I8Piggo New Member

The rational way to treat Horsemanship, if you are planning on incorporating Portal III cards, is to treat it as flying. Otherwise creatures with "Horsemanship" become quasi-unblockable and this overpowered.

-Daniel

Disremember not the fate of the once noble tortoise my child, for that which befalls a beast so obliging could be whence forth comes the end of us.