one more?

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by space ranger, Feb 24, 2004.

1. space ranger New Member

If I have a chimeric egg in play and have an ability to put counters on an artifact. If I choose to put the counters on the egg, for example if i could put 3 counters on the egg,when it becomes a creature would it be a 6/6 or a 9/9. Hope you could understand all that.

thanks
  2. train The Wildcard!!!...

Removing three charge counters making it a 6/6 trampler... that's it...

removing 3 counters makes it a 6/6 trampler, then removing 3 more counters change it from a 6/6 trampler, to a 6/6 trampler - so nothing changes... it's still a 6/6 trampler...

There are no bonuses for the creature having more than 3 counters removed as it is worded now...
  3. space ranger New Member

I understand all that. I think what maybe what I was trying to say is that once it's a creature. I have an ability to move counters. Lets say I move 3 plus 1 plus 1 counters on the creature, would it then be a 9/9? Would the counters remain for the next time I was to remove 3 charge counters then still making it a 9/9
  4. train The Wildcard!!!...

yes - moving other counters(+1/+1) would boost it's power and toughness when it is a creature...
  5. train The Wildcard!!!...

and would remain when it stops being a creature...
  6. space ranger New Member

7. EricBess Active Member

Just be careful. Under normal circumstances, you cannot put a +1/+1 counter on a non-creature. So, if you remove 3 charge counters to make it a creature and, while it is a creature, manage to get 3 +1/+1 counters on it (making it a 9/9), then when it is no longer a creature, the counters will remain. Then, when you make it a creature again, the counters will still apply.
  8. DeathMaster666 In Defiance of Existance

Yeah. An artifact that is not a creature is not a legal target for +1/+1 counters, but if you put them on while it is a creature, then you can keep them.
  9. train The Wildcard!!!...

Eric - I don't recall that being in the rules...

Checking... didn't find it - though it discussed the P/T aspects...

is it because most spells and abilities say to add +/- X/Y counters to "creature/s" you control that you mention that?...

Just wondering if I was missing something...:cool:
  10. Notepad Seffy Sefro

There is a green enchantment from Mirage block that puts three +1/+1 counters onto itself. Pretty nifty. :D
  11. EricBess Active Member

train,

That is why I said "under normal circumstances". There is nothing in the rules specifically prohibiting placing a +1/+1 counter on a non-creature permanent. However, I know of know effects that don't specifically say "on a creature".
  12. kriz_riktr Member

What about Dismantle, also from Darksteel:

Dismantle
    2R
    Sorcery
    Destroy target artifact. If that artifact had counters on it, put that many +1/+1 counters or charge counters on an artifact you control.
  13. Notepad Seffy Sefro

Yes, Dismantle could definitely put opposing counters on different types. Want a Silver Myr with charge counters? Or a Isochron Scepter with +1/+1 counters? :D

Giant Fan can also do this I'm pretty sure, but most people would dismiss it as evidence since its from Unglued.
  14. Rooser Thread Necromancer

yes, technically you can put +1/+1 counters on anything, its just that the vast majority of effects that do this say you can only do it to target creature or some such. But dismantle could certainly put +1/+1 counters on an isochron scepter, or, perhaps more relevantly, on a chimeric egg. The counters just don't do anything until the artifact becomes a creature.