On party cards and player interaction

K

krichaiushii

Warning: This thread is geared towards multiplayer games and those who play them.

Recently, there have been a number of threads (both here and on other sites) discussing fun in Magic, and general multiplayer decks and strategies. By and large, most people define fun as being able to play out their deck and, ideally, win with it. The game's creator believes player interaction is the best fun, and as such, the recent sets are slower and contain cards involving other people.

In one of his recent articles at StarcityCCG.com, Anthony Alongi coins the term "party cards". You know the ones -- Hunted Wumpus, Hired Giant, Oath of Lieges, Noble Benefactor, Truce, etc. The cards that involve and generally benefit your opponent(s). Though they are normally shunned by the tourney players (and rightly so), a few get played, but the decks involved are geared around them, with Oath of Druids being an example.

The reason these cards are rarely played is that they provide absolutely no card advantage whatsoever, and actually detract from what you may have already generated. While card advantage is key in duelling, it is also considered important in multiplayer games.

But when playing against more than one opponent, few cards net any true advantage beyond global destruction (Wrath of God being a good example). So why not play the party cards?

To paraphrase my comments about fun, playing cards and player interaction are key. Ask yourself what is more satisfying -- to win by a hair, at one lifepoint, battling it out to the end, or to win through the misfortune of your opponents, who uniformly were mana- or creature-deficient due to either poor drawing or your control cards? Unless you are by nature a bully or coward, victory over active opponents is far more satisfying.

So why not encourage active opponents? Play those party cards! Imagine, if one person does it, well, people will think he's a scrub, and won't pay attention to him. And if two people, just two people do it, they'll be considered a pair of scrubs and still be ignored. But if three people start playing party cards, people may think its a team or organization. And can you imagine fifty people! Fifty people a day playing chaos games full of party cards, well people might think its a movement. And folks, that what it is -- the Play a Party Card for Player Interaction Movement!

More players playing more cards having more fun interacting with each other. An actual social experience. Imagine...

Well, I think that's all I need to say. Oh, and never listen to Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" when trying to make a point. You just might feel the urge to paraphrase and/or imitate him... ;)

Just a few thoughts.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Not only do I agree with this, but I have taken it a step further by building sets of two scrubby decks such that one takes advantage of the other one playing a Hunted Wumpus or something to drop an Avatar into play or something. Here's one:

Deck #1: Wumpus

Island x12
Forest x8
Tropical Island x4
Morphling x4
Hunted Wumpus x4
Seal of Removal x4
Mystical Tutor x4
Hoodwink x4
Capsize x4
Prosperity x4
Worldly Tutor x4
Eureka x4

Deck #2: Fatty

City of Brass x4
Undiscovered Paradise x4
Mishra’s Workshop x3
Tundra x2
Underground Sea x2
Badlands x2
Taiga x2
Savannah x2
Tolarian Academy x1 (Maybe the guys there can figure out how to make this deck work...)
Voltaic Key x4
Thran Turbine x3
Grim Monolith x4
Urza’s Incubator x3
Quicksliver Amulet x3
Belbe’s Portal x2

And don't yell at me for using some broken cards in here. For example, the Academy really doesn't help much in the second deck. The first deck has lots of bounce cards, but can also continuously bounce the Wumpus so that the second deck may dump avatar after avatar after avatar into play. This is a stupid idea and a mediocre execution, so it's not a problem if I use broken cards - that's my philosophy.

Besides, it's not as broken (wink wink nudge nudge :) as these:

Deck 1: 5C Fattie

4x City of Brass
4x Taiga
4x Tropical Island
4x Tundra
4x Undiscovered Paradise
4x Volcanic Island
1x Savannah
4x Charmed Griffin
4x Noble Benefactor
3x Indentured Djinn
4x Hired Giant
4x Veteran Explorer
4x Llanowar Elves
4x Birds of Paradise
4x Hunted Wumpus
4x Grim Monolith

Deck 2: Broken Half

9x Island
5x Plains
4x Adarkar Wastes
4x Rishadan Port
1x Tolarian Academy
3x Mageta the Lion
4x Masticore
3x Parallax Wave
3x Capsize
4x Parallax Tide
2x Stroke of Genius
4x Voltaic Key
3x Cursed Scroll
4x Mana Vault
4x Grim Monolith
4x Tangle Wire
3x Mishra’s Helix

K

krichaiushii

Thallid ICM -- that makes two of us, so I guess we are a pair of scrubs and will still be ignored...

What about a deck built around:

4x Hunted Wumpus
4x Stampeding Wildebeest
4x Lumbering Satyr
4x Mystic Compass
Many fog variants (especially the one that sacs land for buyback) and creature pumpers...

That could be fun. AND far cheaper than your proposals. ;)

Party cards used in team games can be simply abusive when decks are constructed to play off each other, as you have aptly demonstrated.