Old School Underworld Dreams Deck

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This isn't really very much of a casual deck, but it has been a pet project of mine for the past couple of years and I can't help but express my joy that it's finally (basically) complete...
my first underworld dreams deck.jpg

In case it's hard to tell from my lousy picture, here's the list:

4x Dark Ritual
4x Underworld Dreams
4x Winds of Change
4x Howling Mine
3x Black Vise
1x Braingeyser
1x Wheel of Fortune
1x Timetwister
1x Sol Ring
1x Mox Emerald
1x Mox Ruby
1x Mox Jet
1x Mox Sapphire
1x Mox Pearl
1x Black Lotus
1x Time Walk
1x Ancestral Recall
2x Sylvan Library
1x Demonic Tutor
1x Regrowth
1x Recall
1x The Abyss
1x Balance
1x Boomerang
1x Chaos Orb
1x Mana Drain
2x Flash Counter
2x Swamp
3x City of Brass
1x Library of Alexandria
4x Badlands
4x Underground Sea
3x Volcanic Island

The last cards I actually picked up for this were copies of City of Brass. I also happened across a Beta copy of Black Vise in my collection, which was the last card to go in here and bring it up to 60 cards.

The decklist itself is exactly the same as one of the maindeck examples that Jason Jaco published for this sort of deck. He knows more about Old School than I do and I didn't see anything I wanted to change. If I do get an opportunity to play Old School and test this, I might make my own tweaks, but to start out, the list is exactly the same. But a couple of points about my deck itself, which may or may not change...
  1. Sleeves. Just using the same light blue Ultra Pro Eclipse outer sleeves that I have been favoring ever since those sleeves first came out. I like them, but I feel like this deck, which is pretty special, deserves its own special sleeves.
  2. My copy of The Abyss is Italian. I don't own any English-language versions. Now that I think about it, Italian Legends cards, especially black cards, look better, more crisp, than their English counterparts. Also, buying another The Abyss would be more than I'd care to spend on one card these days. So I'm keeping it that way for now. If I get a good deal in trade or something and do pick up an English-language The Abyss, I'll throw it in here. But I'm content with the Italian version.
  3. One of my four copies of Howling Mine is Revised instead of Unlimited. I'm fine with that for the dual lands (Unlimited dual lands are way too expensive for me). But I'd like the last Howling Mine to have beveled edges, as is right and proper.
  4. I don't have a sideboard yet. I wouldn't know what to put in it. I'll go with something generic eventually if I don't get much gameplay in against other Old School decks.

Last edited: