nouveau trample

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Eloria, Dec 18, 2000.

1. Eloria New Member

I am still not accustomed to the rules for trample, especially the new changes.

What happens if I block a Lord Of The Pit (7/7 Flying Trample) with a Nightwind Glider? (2/1 Flying Protection From Black)
    What happens if I block a Ball Lightning (6/1 Trample) with a Serra Zealot? (1/1 First Strike)
    What happens if I block an Endless Wurm (9/9 Trample) with Cho Manno, Revolutionary? (2/2, Can't take damage)

Thanks to anyone who can help.
  2. rkoelsch Angel Boy

the attacker can assign the amount of damage he want to trample through after he assigns at least lethal damage to the blocker. so on to the examples

1. 1 pt to glider 6 to opponent
    2. no need to worry dead before trample is assigned
    3. 2 to Cho 7 to opponent

and the current wording on Cho is prevent all damage dealt to Cho
  3. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

The rule states that the attacker must assign at least enough damage to cover one blocker's toughness before it can assign to the defending player. In other words, if a 5/5 trampler is blocked by a 2/2, then it can assign 2 damage to the creature and three to the player.

Specific answers:

1. Trample doesn't care whether or not the defending creature would actually DIE to the damage, it only cares that damage is assigned to it. Thus, the Lord could assign 1 damage to the Glider and the other 6 to the player. (Note that you COULD assign something like 5 damage to the Glider and 2 to the player - It would be silly, but you could do it. The only illegal damage assignment in this case is 0 to the Glider and 7 to the player. See below for more.)

2. First strike damage is resolved before normal combat damage, so Serra Zealot would deal its damage first. It does lethal damage, and Ball Lightning is destroyed, assuming no outside interference. It doesn't get to assign its normal damage.

3. Again, the game doesn't care if the creature would _survive_ the damage or not, as long as enough is assigned to cover the toughness. Thus, 2 damage to Cho-Manno and 7 to the player is the most logical move in this case.

A bit more on #1. There ARE situations in which you would want to assign a bit of extra damage to a creature. For example, an attacking Endless Wurm is blocked by a Callous Giant with 2 Enfeeblements on it (yes, it's a bit of a strecth), making it a 0/2 weakling. Now, the Wurm could assign 2 damage to it and 7 to the defending player, but the Giant would prevent the 2 damage with its ability. Therefore, you may want to deal some extra damage to the Giant to finish it off.
  4. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Actually, the controller of the trampling creature only needs to assign lethal damage to the blocking creature(s), which is not always the same as its toughness.

For example, a 4/4 Serra Angel blocks a 6/6 trampling Endless Wurm, and the attacking player Shocks the Serra Angel before damage is assigned. The Endless Wurm is only required to deal 2 points more to the Angel, since this will be enough to kill her.
  5. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

[me] considers himself corrected [/me]

You know what I meant, though. :)
  6. WhiteMagic New Member

Suppose an opponent attacks me with a 5/5 trampler. I have a Trap Runner in play ("2WW, 2/3, T: Target attacking unblocked creature becomes blocked. (This ability works on unblockable creatures.)")

What happens if I tap my Trap Runner to make the trampler blocked? Does it do no damage? Can he still trample all 5 damage over to me? Does he have to assign lethal damage to Trap Runner first?

My guess is that I'd have to take all 5 points of damage, but I'll defer to the illustrious knowledge of this forum! ;)
  7. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

Trap Runner won't help.

The trampling 5/5 won't have an actual blocker to deal lethal damage to, so it is all assigned to the defending player.
  8. Zadok001 CPA Founder, Greater Good

"Illustrious knowledge of this forum?"

[me] looks around for judges... [/me]

You are aware we make this up as we go, right? :)
  9. Chaos Turtle Demiurgic CPA Member, Admin Assistant

I use an Ouija board...
  10. fuzzy510 I Don't REALLY Exist

Do Ouija boards really work? I've never gotten one to work.
  11. MrXarvox The Prettiest Man Alive

beware!

for I am the guy that makes ouija boards not work!

mahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
  12. fuzzy510 I Don't REALLY Exist

Yeah Mr. X. Keep thinking that if you want to be admitted to an asylum.
  13. Darsh Corrupt CPA Member

What do you think the CPA is anyway?;)
  14. MrXarvox The Prettiest Man Alive

Mahahahahaha!!! yessssssssss, doubt my POWER! That makes you VULNERABLE!
    hee hee hee heee
    Things will different when the Ouija boards TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha >cough< hahahahaha >hack< ha >heh< ...ha >ugh<.