Not my first post, but I figured I ought to say something in here.

N

Nyx

So, to give you an interesting variation on the self-introduction theme, here's a contest:

1. What question is the quote in my signature an answer to?

2. What is the "correct" pronounciation of my handle (meaning the non-English pronounciation), and what or who does it refer to? (I'll give you a hint, it doesn't rhyme with six like it does in English).

3. My other online handle is Seelie. To what or who does it refer? (using a dictionary is cheating on these two, but this is on the honor system).

I'll give, hmm, I don't know, how about two common Antiquities cards to the person who gets 'em all right first (they're not in mint condition, but look pretty good).

And the bonus question (only valid if answered by the same person who gets the other three correct first), for a pair of common Arabian Nights cards:

4. A two-parter: In Zork I, how do you pick up the Platinum Bar in the Loud Room? And, what was the name of Infocom's short-lived corporate newsletter sent to all the people who registered their text games?

And you can ask for nearly any common Antiquities or Arabian Nights cards and if I have spares I'll pass 'em on. I'm out of Rukh Eggs, but I have most all of the others. Most of the non-rare lands from those sets are fair game too, Oasis, Desert, Strip Mine, Bazaar of Baghdad etc. Not the Library, Island of Wak-Wak, or the other rare lands though.

L

Landkiller

1. no clue. Is it Bill Murray? Is that even the actor's name?

2. Hmmm...Nikes, like the shoe?

3. To Faeries. I'm serious. Although I'm not sure.

4. Well. Damn. That's one I can't randomly guess at.

Guess I get to be the first loser!!

Yee-haw!

Well, welcome!

Have fun here!

Someone or other may or may not give some sort of nickname something or other. Maybe. :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

Great contest, too hard of questions, I have no idea where to begin. So I'll be the SECOND loser ;)

A

Apollo

Welcome! I'm just a stupid bird, so I won't tax my small mind trying to answer those questions.

N

Nyx

1. no clue. Is it Bill Murray? Is that even the actor's name?
Here's a hint:

Hero: You're cute, can I call you Bob?

Murray: You can call Murray, the Demonic Skull! Muhahaha!

S

sageridder

4.That bar was a pain,I would tell you honest I would,but then you would likely be eaten by a grue.:p:D:):D:):p

N

Nyx

4.That bar was a pain,I would tell you honest I would,but then you would likely be eaten by a grue.
Ok, try this one then:

What's the second half of the path through the Maze? From the troll room you go West-West-West-Up and you're standing in front of the Bag of coins, and the skeleton with the cursed rusty knife in its chest. How do you get to the Cyclops room in 4 moves?

But I do have my trusty battered lantern (with brand new batteries too), so I'm not too woried about Grues. :)

N

Nyx

The little voice in my head is telling me to set it on fire set everything on fire!
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a suitable application of high explosives. And incendiaries are my favorite form of explosive. ;)

And it's not from a game, though it is used in a few. The term dates back to before the Romans conquered Gaul.

I'll post the answers on Monday for anyone who's curious.

Z

Zadok001

Hiya, Nyx! :) Welcome aboard!

/begin{nickname speech}
Ok, here's the deal. I'm your friendly neighborhood nickname guy. :) See those neat-o little orange nicknames people have under their names? If you Private Message me (see the button at the bottom of this post with 'PM' on it?) with a request for a specific one, I'll give it to ya'. :)
/end{nickname speech}

Quiz, neh? Well, I can't answer most of the questions correctly, seeing as my storehouse of generally useless knowledge is out of order at the moment, but I _can_ tell you that Murray is a reference to a 'puter game... :) And Seelie (which is more often spelled 'Seely') is pretty close to 'good,' but more akin to auspicious or boding well. Good fortune, per se.

That's the end of my thoughts...

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

grrrr i can't answer those question they're too hard and i wanted those deserts too damn!

N

Nyx

1. What question is the quote in my signature an answer to?

From Guybrush Threepwood of Lucas Arts' Monkey Island fame: What would you do with your arm if I gave it back to you?
Murray, the demonic skull, in a raving madman's voice: I'd torture the living, I slaughter whole villages, I'd terrorize the Caribbean... *cough*, Ahem *insert cool, calm, and collected voice*, what I mean to say is that I would use it to pet kittens.

2. What is the "correct" pronounciation of my handle (meaning the non-English pronounciation), and what or who does it refer to? (I'll give you a hint, it doesn't rhyme with six like it does in English).

Sounds like "knocks" as in knocks on the door. It's the name of the Greek Goddess of night, eldest child and wife of Chaos, first being to be created and the mother of Uranos and Gaeia.

3. My other online handle is Seelie. To what or who does it refer? (using a dictionary is cheating on these two, but this is on the honor system).

The Seelie court is the ancient court of the fey who ruled nature during spring and summer. At the solstice or equinox, I forget which, they'd pass the throne to the Unseelie court who ruled from Fall through winter. A great source of art on the two courts would be Brian Froud's Good Faerie/Bad Faerie book. The Seelie court are often incorrectly referred to as "good" faeries, but if you do the research you'll find that they're not good, they're just, "less likely to be malicious." Unfortunately, Froud likes the teeny, tiny version of Faeries that became popularized after Christianity moved into Gaul and beyond. The Seelie court is more appropriately associated with the Daoine Sidhe (pronounced "Dow" like the stock market "Wayne" like the name, "She" like the pronoun)and other lordly and tall fae.

4. A two-parter: In Zork I, how do you pick up the Platinum Bar in the Loud Room? And, what was the name of Infocom's short-lived corporate newsletter sent to all the people who registered their text games?

In the loud room if you type the command, "pick up platinum bar" the game responds with: "bar, bar." If you type look at bar, "bar, bar." But if you type "echo, echo" the room becomes silent and you can pick up the bar easily. The magazine was called the New Zork Times.

For the rewrite, after finding the bag of coins, you go South West, South, South East, Down, and you're in the Cyclops room.

----------

and I was describing myself as a generous someone who likes silly games, who remembers the days of paying .25 to play pong in an arcade, remembers when graphics were optional in games, who enjoys games that reward thinking over fast reflexes, and who considers useless knowledge cool.

A

arachiron

Wow. I only knew the answer to one of the questions. (I thought it was written Nox though). Eh, but what do I know--dumb pretentious little high schooler...

I've never heard of the Seelie or Brian Froud's book. Do you know of any web addresses w/ good fairy art? (I'm attempting to do a painting but so far I've only got one by Hughes as a reference)

N

Nyx

I don't know any good sites offhand, but if you get on the Usenet you can track down alt.binaries.pictures.fantasyscifi (or something like that). I'll get back to you because I've found quite a lot of good stuff over the years.

D

dw51688

Oh Nyx, poor poor Nyx. You must understand my sig is for my passion for fire!

K

K9Archmage

That's where i the leprechaun, he told me to burn things!

Hoipa