No Vanilla for me, thank you.

K

Kode

I'm currently writing a little article regarding the theory of M:tg card creation. The basic principle here, as in the article, is: No Vanilla for me, thank you. I'm allergic to bad cards; especially watered-down cards. And let's not get into a discussion about what a bad card really is, or how it is a subjective opinion. It's not. Bad cards can be spotted miles away. I wont make any noise about bad cards here. I just want to introduce some of my card ideas, some of which are average (but at least good), others are more out there. Keep in mind that all my cards are casual-player oriented. No one said casual-cards can't be good, yet there seems to be a type of stigma surrounding so-called casual cards. That needs to be changed, even if with fake cards.

Consuming Blackness [2BB]
Creature - Shadow
Fear
Consuming Blackness gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play.
As Consuming Blackness comes into play, you may destroy target creature. If you do, remove Consuming Blackness from the game.
2/2

Twilight Cast [2B]
Creature - Shadow
Flying
Twilight Cast gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play.
As Twilight Cast comes into play, you may have all your Shadow creaturs gain +2/+2 until end of the turn. If you do, remove Twilight Cast from the game.
2/1

Flooding Night [1B]
Creature - Shadow
Flooding Night gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play.
As Flooding Night comes into play, you may search your library for all Flooding Night cards and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library. If you do, remove Flooding Night from the game.
0/1

Midnight Hour [2BB]
Creature - Shadow
Flying
Midnight Hour gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play.
As Midnight Hour comes into play, you may search your deck for a Shadow creature and put into play. If you do, remove Midnight Hour from the game.
1/1

Eclipse of the Soul (1B)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains -1/-1 and counts as a Shadow in addition to its other creature types. Enchanted creature gains "this creature gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play."
3B: Destroy enchanted creature.

A lot more on this Shadow theme. Plus I have a new theme to introduce.

M

Mikeymike

That is a pretty cool mechanic/theme.

My inclination is to say X creature should be sacrificed instead of being removed from the game - it allows you to do far more interesting thing with graveyard manipulation.

I'm not quite sure I get Eclipse of the Soul. That is a lot of mana to kill a creature. It is versatile, but I don't believe it quite does 1 thing well enough to warrant an inclusion into a deck.

K

Kode

Thanks Spiderman. Happy to be here.

And thank you MM. Honestly, the creatures did sacrifice themselves when I first came up with the idea, but it seemed too powerful. Yes, interesting. But imagine Midnight Hour or Consuming Blackness. It can become horrific really quick, with even minor graveyard reanimation.

The one very important thing I forgot to mention about these Shadow creatures is that they all have the innate ability to tap themselves to give their equivalent of power and toughness to another target Shadow creature. Hey, they are after all the same blackness, the same shadow – they can intertwine with each other seamlessly. The +1/+1 mechanic emphasizes this innate oneness amongst the Shadows, but the innate tapping ability really highlights their force as being one entity. Oh, by the way, what I mean by innate is that it is a built-in mechanic. Basically, if the creature is Shadow, it can tap to do its wonders to another target Shadow.

That in mind, do you think sacrificing them instead of removing from the game is balanced enough? Let me know.

As far as Eclipse of the Soul is concerned, I agree - I would like a suggestion. Please.

Wait!

Eclipse of the Soul (B)
Instant
Choose one: target creature gains -1/-1 for each Shadow you control, or target creature gains +1/+1 for each Shadow you control.

How is that?

R

Rooser

That's awesome.
No, seriously.

I like that little shadow gig there a lot. Good job, sir.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by Kode
Wait!

Eclipse of the Soul (B)
Instant
Choose one: target creature gains -1/-1 for each Shadow you control, or target creature gains +1/+1 for each Shadow you control.

How is that?
I like that better too. I didn't think the other version was horrible, because of versatility and all. But this has more potential. Instant speed capacity to kill or strengthen a creature, and well balanced because it is dependent on shadows...

K

Kode

To make things clear and more simplified:
  • All Shadows will be sacrificed instead of removed from the game.
  • All Shadows do not have the ability to tap to give their p/t bonuses, like I first decided to give them - this change is due to the fact that they would simply be overpowered with both being sacrificed (and not removed from the game) and having a powerful ability. Additionally, not having the tapping ability makes the creature type Shadow less loaded with information and more direct and clear.
  • All Shadows have this: "This creature gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play".
  • Shadows are restricted to the color Black.
  • A creature that is altered to "count as a Shadow" will instantly gain the Shadow rule: "This creature gains +1/+1 for each other Shadow in play".
These values are subjected to change should someone or another finds a reason to change anything.

An corrected version of the previous cards:

Consuming Blackness [2BB]
Creature - Shadow
Fear
As Consuming Blackness comes into play, you may destroy target creature. If you do, sacrifice Consuming Blackness.
2/2

Twilight Spirit [2B]
Creature - Shadow
Flying
As Twilight Spirit comes into play, you may have all your Shadow creaturs gain +2/+2 until end of the turn. If you do, sacrifice Twilight Spirit.
2/1

Darkening [1B]
Creature - Shadow
As Darkening comes into play, you may search your library for all Darkening cards and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library. If you do, sacrifice Darkening.
0/1

One with the Dark [1BBB]
Creature - Shadow
Flying
As One with the Dark comes into play, you may search your deck for a Shadow creature and put into play. If you do, sacrifice One with the Dark.
2/2

Eclipse of the Soul
Instant

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Good so far. The only problems I can see...

"Shadow" is already an ability used on Rath cycle cards. This isn't actually confusing, as far as I see, but it is still a small issue.

With the recent changes to the wall and legend types, it appears that the trend in Magic is against having a creature type with a mechanical significance in and of itself...

K

Kode

Luckily, I’m not an employee of WotC. I am a casual player – that does not mean I do not enjoy powerful cards, or that I do not enjoy winning the game. I just like my cards and my winning methods to be as far out there as possible – hey, it’s a game, might as well enjoy playing it. Additionally, I’m all about creatures and combat, especially interesting ones, so – I will be keeping my loaded creatures theme, or as I call them, the innate creatures. It’s flavorful, and it actually has a very practical usage.

As far as I am concerned, WotC have no clue what they are doing. They named the Fear ability after a card. They named an entire set for God’s sake, Apocalypse, after a card. And they would have a problem with naming a creature type after a creature ability?

The only thing extraordinary about the Shadows is that they are not really creatures or a specie – they are almost simply just dark, negative, depressing energy; their power and toughness only indicates how much gloom they are capable of inflicting and how much darkness they can set upon the soul. I cannot simply give these creatures an actual race name or known creature type. The reason I chose the word “Shadow” is because they are indeed like a shadow: they do not exist physically, and the only thing physical about them is that they cast darkness wherever they loom, darkness only comparable to that cast by a shadow, only this darkness is at once more seductive, alluring and dangerous. It is known that wherever theses unknown shadows cast their darkness, any life-force in that area is weakened and made depressed and spiritless to the point of self-annihilation.

These shadows eventually became known as “Shados” to differentiate them from actual shadows.

Thus…

The new creature type is termed Shado. Rule changes, along with pre-existing rules:
  • Creature type “Shadow” is no longer valid and is replaced with creature type “Shado.”
  • Shados cannot have any other creature type. They can only be Shados.
  • Shados are no longer restricted to Black, but also effectively include Red and Blue.
  • Shados will be sacrificed instead of removed from the game.
  • Shados do not have the ability to tap to give their p/t bonuses, like I first decided to give them - this change is due to the fact that they would simply be overpowered with both being sacrificed (and not removed from the game) and having a powerful ability. Additionally, not having the tapping ability makes the creature type Shadow less loaded with information and more direct and clear.
  • All Shados have this: "This creature gains +1/+1 for each other Shado in play".
  • A creature that is altered to "count as a Shado" will instantly gain the Shado rule: "This creature gains +1/+1 for each other Shado in play."
Introducing another innate creature type: Intra.
  • When an Intra creature comes into play, all other non-Intra creatures are removed from the game.
  • Whenever a non-Intra creature comes into play, if there is an Intra creature in play, the new creature is removed from the game.
  • When an Intra creature leaves play and there are no other Intra creatures in play, all creatures removed from the game due to the presence of an Intra creature in play are returned back into play under owners’ control.
  • Instant, Sorcery, and Enchant-Creature spells that are to target one Intra may be played without paying their mana cost.
  • Although Intra creatures are not restricted to any color, they are mostly White and Green. They are less common in Blue and are rare in Black and Red.
The Intra creatures are still flexible, so any suggestions are welcome.

[Edit]
Adding a clearification on the Intras:
  • Should an Intra creature lose its Intra creature type (i.e. Humble), it is removed from the game instantly. The creature in question will not return back into play after the effect ends. The creature would remain out of the game along with all other non-Intra creatures. However, should there be no Intra's in play, and all creatures return back into play, the Intra creature in question will return back into play as an Intra creature, thus effectively removing all other non-Intra creatures from the game.
  • The same thing happens should a creature become an Intra-creature due to an effect: all other creatures are instantly removed from the game until the creature is no longer in play or is no longer an Intra creature.
  • When creature loses its Intra type, two things can happen:(1) If the creature was the only Intra creature in play, than all other creatures removed from the game are returned back into play as long as the said creature is no longer an Intra.
    (2) Or, if it is not the only Intra creature in play, than it is removed from the game, not to return until there are no Intras in play.

Complicated? Yes. I know. But that's why it is interesting and fun. Who said this is Basic Magic anyway? :)

K

Kode

Very soon I am planning to start my first block of cards (1 major set, 2 follow up sets). Until then, this thread I will use for sculpting and gathering ideas and suggestions. I have already introduced the Shados and the Intras, the Intras being rather complicated when it comes to ruling issues and interaction with other cards, so I am thinking of limiting the “Intra” ability, which will therefore be written out as opposed to being innate, to two major legends in the first set. The Shados looks more stable and is very flavorful in nature and thematic and so it makes for flexible set design and also story ideas to give a context for these cards. Yes, I am also planning to write a little something here in the CPA regarding the storyline behind my cards. I find a context to any set or group of cards to be very intriguing to the more curious minds.

Until then, I will just be throwing out theoretical concepts for cards. Hopefully something fantastic will eventually be conjured, great enough to be used and defined throughout over 500 cards.

Some abilities:
  • Creature Ability. Resistance – X or Y: Spells attempting to target this creature cost X more or do Y in order to be played. For each creature attempting to block this creature, that creature’s controller must pay X or Y in order to block this creature.
  • Creature Ability. Reincarnate: When this creature is put into the graveyard from play, you may search your hand and library for a copy of this creature and remove it from the game, if you do, return this creature back into play under owner’s control.
  • Creature Ability. Fanatic: Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature or player, you may sacrifice it. If you do, that creature deals the same amount of damage to the same creature or player that was dealt damage by this creature during this turn.
  • Creature, Instant, Sorcery, Artifact, Enchantment, and Land Ability. Fated – <card name(s)>: This card cannot be played unless you control <card name(s)>.
  • Instant and Sorcery Ability. Urgency: Whenever you play this spell, you may search your hand and library for 3 copies of this spell and remove them from the game. If you do, put a copy of this spell on the stack.
  • Instant and Sorcery Ability. Chainer: Whenever you play this spell, you may play another spell with Chainer in your hand without paying its mana cost. Only one Chainer spell maybe played that way per turn.
Tons more abilities to come. I have hundereds.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm glad that you changed your mind about the Intras. I never looked favorfully on the removal of the small baggage with the "Legend" and "Wall" creature types. The Shado thing I'm liking more and more now. But the Intras thing as originally introduced seemed too much to me. It would not be bad in a game where such complicated effects are routine, but Magic was never that game...

Resistance looks like it could be cool too.

I think all of these ideas have potential. My personal favorites are the Shados and the Urgency mechanic.

K

Kode

More:
  • Innate creature type. Creature - Psion: This creature has "Tap: untap and gain control of target creature with power that is less than this creature's until end of the turn.
  • Innate creature type. Creature - Manni: This creature has "Sacrifice this creature: target creature gains this creature's equivelent of power and toughness until end of the turn."
  • Innate creature type. Creature - Unni: this creature has: "Tap: Put target creature you control under Unni and treat that creature as an enchant creature card that gives this creature its equivelent of power, toughness, and all activated and non activated abilities.
As I am writing this I realized something: all these abilities and mechanics are actually simply abstracted versions of single card ideas that I have, or are easily converted to a single card. If a mechanic is flexible, than it is more likely to make a great candidate for as an actual mechanic, ability, or theme - otherwise, as in the case of the Intras, it is better to leave them for few single cards. I am feeling the same way about the Unni[/i] creatures at this time - although unique, I don't see great enough of a flexibility so as to assure a creature type that "expand" on it - the mechanic is a dead-end mechanic, so it seems to me.

K

Kode

Latest Shado ruling:

• Shados cannot have any other creature type. They can only be Shados. Should they gain additional creature type(s) or should their creature type change altogether, they are instantly destroyed.
  • A creature that is altered to "count as a Shado," whether as an addition to its creature type(s) or as a complete alternation, will instantly be destroyed. The only creatures allowed to be Shados are the Shado creatures themselves.
  • All Shados have this: "This creature gains +1/+1 for each other Shado in play.
  • Shado creatures are mainly Black and Red, but they exist in Blue as well.
This strict change is due to the story-context I have in my head for the Shado creatures, mostly flavor wise. A Shado creature is a mystery, in the very least, and the storyline will very slowly unfold what exactly this shadowy force is, if anything at all. Flavor wise, Shados are not creatures, only force. A wizard or an elf cannot simply be altered to count as a Shado or becomes a Shado altogether - this is a very enigmatic force in nature, and very destructive and dark, to be one with it or to become it may have so many unsolved consquences, but one thing is certain: anything that touches (read, becomes or is changed to count to), whether mentally or physically, these forces is weakened excessively and to the point of eventual depression, psychic eradication, and, lastly, destruction.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
More:
  • Innate creature type. Creature - Psion: This creature has "Tap: untap and gain control of target creature with power that is less than this creature's until end of the turn.
  • Innate creature type. Creature - Manni: This creature has "Sacrifice this creature: target creature gains this creature's equivelent of power and toughness until end of the turn."
  • Innate creature type.

• This stuff could make Conspiracy or a similar card have completely different applications than was intended.

A creature that is altered to "count as a Shado," whether as an addition to its creature type(s) or as a complete alternation, will instantly be destroyed.
    Unnatural Selection now blows creatures up!

Giving innate abilities to to a creature type is a dangerous move, or so it seems to me. It's hard to predict what effects it might have...

K

Kode

Wow. Now I did not realize that in particular. I guess it would be better to focus more on the cards than on the theme. So it should be made simpler, as much as I hate that. It's probably better to not associate all Shados with the +1/+1 ability; I guess it can also be more interesting to have Shados that do not even gain the +1/+1 bonus, but maybe +2/+2, or something even better and more creative. If the creature does not specifically say that it gains the bonus, than it does not gain the bonus. Here are the Shados insofar, with new rules applied:

Consuming Shadow [2BB]
Creature - Shado
Fear
Consuming Shadow gains +1/+1 for each other Shado in play.
As Consuming Shadow comes into play, you may have target player sacrifice a creature. If you do, sacrifice Consuming Shadow.
(2/2)

Twilight Spirit [2B]
Creature - Shado
Flying
Twilight Spirit gains +1/+1 for each other Shado in play.
As Twilight Spirit comes into play, you may have all your Shado creaturs gain +2/+2 until end of the turn. If you do, sacrifice Twilight Spirit.
(2/1)

Darkening [1B]
Creature - Shado
Darkening gains +1/+1 for each other Shado you control.
As Darkening comes into play, you may search your library for all Darkening cards and put them into your hand, then shuffle your library. If you do, sacrifice Darkening.
(0/1)

One with the Dark [2BBB]
Creature - Shado
Flying
One with the Dark gains +2/+2 for each other Shado in play.
As One with the Dark comes into play, you may search your deck for a Shado creature and put into play. If you do, sacrifice One with the Dark.
(1/1)

Eclipse of the Soul
Instant
Choose one: target creature gains -1/-1 for each Shado you control, or target creature gains +1/+1 for each Shado you control.

K

Kode

Synthesis [UU]
Enchant Creature
Sacrifice a creature. Enchanted creature gains all the abilities, colors, creature types, power and toughness of the sacrificed creature.

Projection [2UU]
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains "Tap: put a copy of this creature into play, with haste. Sacrifice that creature at the end of the turn."

Duality [3UU]
Instant
Remove Duality from the game. For each other instant and sorcery played this turn, put a copy of that spell on the stack.

Negation
Instant
Counter target spell. For the remainder of the game, the first spell you play after playing Negation is countered.

Hold in Time [2U]
Instant
Target spell does not resolve this turn and resolves at the beginning of its caster's next upkeep. All lands, artifacts, and creatures tapped to pay for that spell's mana cost do not untap during their controller's next untap step.

K

Kode

Hermetic Visionary [1WW]
Creature - Prophet
As Hermetic Visionary comes into play, remove all other creatures from the game. Whenever Hermetic Visionary leaves play, return all creatures removed from the game by Hermetic Visionary back into play.
(2/1)

Spirit Waking [1W]
Creature - Monk
When Spirit Waking leaves play, put a Spirit token into play. Treat it as a 2/2 white creature with flying.
(1/1)

Moment in Divinity [W]
Enchantment
Sacrifice Moment in Divinity: target creature gains protection from creatures, instants, and sorceries until end of the turn.

K

Kode

Ghostly Vengence [3B][Uncommon]
Sorcery
Remove any number of creatures in your graveyard from the game. For each creature removed this way, target player sacrifices a creature.

Death Toll [5BB][Rare]
Sorcery
Each other player loses an amount of life equal to your life total.

K

Kode

Unruhe [Common]
Instant
As an additional cost to play Unruhe, sacrifice a creature. Unruhe deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 1 life for each 1 damage dealt this way.

Leap of Dark Faith [1B][Rare]
Instant
Your life total becomes 5. Draw 3 cards.