No U/R Apocalyptic bear?

S

Sammy Dead-O

Now that we know Razorfin Hunter is a 1/1, does that leave U/R without a bear in Apocalypse? I can understand why they didn't make the Hunter a 2/2, but...I like completeness. Is anyone else bothered by this?

D

Duel

Look, it's a 2cc tim. They've NEVER made a 2cc tim before! EVER! can you blame them if they start slow? That's a FRIGGIN AMAZING card. 1st pick in a draft.

M

Mikeymike

When I was playing them at the PR it didn't bother me at all that they were a 1/1.

An active pinger on turn 3 is very dangerous in limited.

But I hear you about the broken consistency of the bear cycle. What if he was a 2/2 with the fireslinger ability (tap: damage to target creature or player, 1 to you), that would be much more in the spirit of the card. Wouldn't be as good though.

H

Hetemti

I'd hate to see that RU Fireslinger...but that's just cuz I want a RW 2/2 Fireslinger. :p

...at least it'd fit Blue Burn...remember Psyonic Entity?

Remember big blue, too? 5/6...10/10...11/11... What aobut a good GU beatdown critter...(No, I don't think Mystic Snake's all that great) This might be interesting...

Æthermonger 1GGUU
X is equal to the number of enchanments in play.
T: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. Put a +1/+1 counter on Æthermonger.
U: Æthermonger can't be the target of spells or abilities.
G: Æthermonger has Trample.
3+X/3+X

I can see this becoming REALLY nasty...maybe too nasty. Thoughts?

L

Lotus Mox

AEthermonger: the new Morphling ;)

I think WotC learned their Morphling/Blastoderm lesson and will never make a really good untargetable creature again.

D

Dementia

Come on! I say make the little pinger a little on the too good side.

G/U got a Sprite/Flying Men smushed together, and R/W got a dang near broken 2 casting cost Shock Troops with a healing Salve added in.

What is so broken about a 2/2 Tim? Guess they didn't wanna get accused of undercosting stuff *coughspiritmongercough*

H

Hetemti

I don't really like the Goblin, myself. I don't wanna spend mana to pop him, he should blow himself up like a good little goblin. And Healing Salve never was good.

D

Dementia

But just being a 2/2 Goblin for 2 makes him good. The fact that he does so many combat tricks makes him a better little Goblin:)

I'll block your 4/4 with my stupid little Goblin then blow him up and kill yours.

Or I'll block your 3/3 with my 2/2 Goblin then sac him to prevent 2 and save hi.........oh, nevermind;)

S

Sammy Dead-O

Mikeymike (and maybe some others; sorry if I slighted you...) hit it. It's not that I think we should get a 2/2 Tim; it's just that I'd like to have a full round of enemy-color bears. I really liked the Invasion pro-bears, and I was excited to see the new cycle in Apocalypse. Except...it isn't a cycle after all.

The Fireslinger ability would have been a good compromise. But hey...I guess I should just be glad to play with a U/R goblin. My five-color gobbo deck can now be built...

H

Hetemti

Well...

They could've made the 3-for-1 cycle complete and Ancestrial Recall would have been common.

That'd be fair.

They could've made the Tutor cycle complete and Vampiric'd been uncommon.

That'd be fair.

Oh, wait...they are OVERPOWERED for such rarity...

Which would you prefer? RU 2/2 Firesliger uncommon, or RU 1/1 Tim? (Don't mention constructed for a moment, because rarity means little to constructed. Draft/limited is where rarity swings a mighty redwood) I know I'd feel sligted if I only got ¼ the chance to grab my 2/2-for-2 than the other colors.

S

Sammy Dead-O

Originally posted by Hetemti
Which would you prefer? RU 2/2 Firesliger uncommon, or RU 1/1 Tim? (Don't mention constructed for a moment, because rarity means little to constructed. Draft/limited is where rarity swings a mighty redwood) I know I'd feel sligted if I only got ¼ the chance to grab my 2/2-for-2 than the other colors.
I like the RU 1/1 Tim just fine. But why not also give us a RU 2/2 with something like "T: Draw a card, then discard a card at random."

As I said, I like completeness. It doesn't exactly sit well with me that Ancestral is rare while the other 3/1's are common...but hey, WotC can learn from their mistakes, y'know?

I know I may seem like I'm complaining, but I'm really just trying to bring up a quirky point from the new set that bugs me. But...I'll live...

H

Hetemti

But why not also give us a RU 2/2 with something like "T: Draw a card, then discard a card at random."
The did give us Quicksilver Dagger...Ping, draw, and no discard if you get to use it at least twice. (I count the fact that it's a creature enchantment as being a discard, so it replaces itself the first time.)

Z

Zadok001

Yeah, I was quite disapointed. With the number of insanely undercosted cards in Apoc, it seems like they could have balanced the cycle. Oh, well...