Ninth Edition Cards

C

Crackdown

Mark Gottlieb mentioned today on Wizards.com that the B 0/1 Flyer, Will-O' the Wisp will be reprinted in Ninth Edition.

More early evasion for Ninjutsu.

D

DÛke

I don't care much for any of the Ninjas besides Ink-Eyes.

But...Wisp...reprinted? That I can be happy about. It'll find home in my Black control decks, that's for sure.

E

Ephraim

We've known this for a long time. I guess you didn't notice, but we got to vote on the artwork for it a while ago.

Ferret

Staff member
Crackdown said:
Mark Gottlieb mentioned today on Wizards.com that the B 0/1 Flyer, Will-O' the Wisp will be reprinted in Ninth Edition.

More early evasion for Ninjutsu.
Oh sure. Black gets a cheap flyer...yeah, that's fair. But does Green get its Scryb Sprites back? No. Heaven forbid. Magic is a no-fly zone for Green...This is getting silly.

First, we lose our flyers. Then, we lose Trample creatures from the basic sets. Then, when Tempest comes out we get screwed out of Shadow (no evasion for you!). What next? Take away our Forestwalkers? Give all Green critters Foresthome (remember that ability? Only one creature ever had it). Create a rule that any time a player has more Forests than any other land type they automaticaly lose? I can see this happening.

-Ferret

"It's a conspiracy I tell you!"

Killer Joe

Green if for:
~Fat creatures for cheap cc
~Mana Acceleration
~Artifact hate
~Spiders that can block flyers (btw, green had a creature that COULD block shadow critters)
~Pump 'em up spells like Giant Growth
~Killing flyers

It has part-times jobs, too:
~Land Destruction
~Permanant destruction
~Life Gain

I wouldn't want to give up any of those green abilities just for a measly flyer :rolleyes:
~

Ferret

Staff member
Killer Joe said:
Green if for:
~Fat creatures for cheap cc
~Mana Acceleration
~Artifact hate
~Spiders that can block flyers (btw, green had a creature that COULD block shadow critters)
~Pump 'em up spells like Giant Growth
~Killing flyers

It has part-times jobs, too:
~Land Destruction
~Permanant destruction
~Life Gain

I wouldn't want to give up any of those green abilities just for a measly flyer :rolleyes:
~
Oh sure. They should be happy for the ability to "block" the flyers and shadow critters. They should be grateful that WotC is making them more of a defensive colour than White is. BLECH! What good is having cheap fatties if they aren't allowed to attack? Why have pump spells like Giant Growth if you're only going to be using them to pump up blockers?

When I play Green, I play beatdown. I know, it's not that original, but it's how I learned to play and it's won me a couple of tourneys. Paired up w/ Green's best friend Red you can have some fun. However, when their mutual enemy Blue comes in, your critters are countered before they hit the table, bounced back to your hand, or are completely ignored by creatures flying over you, slipping through the shadows, or just being "unblocked".

I remember when Green was the only colour w/ the Creature type "Faerie" (again, see Scryb Sprites) and then Homelands came out and WotC thought "Hey, let's make one of them Blue". Soon, they were ALL blue. The last time I looked, Faeries traditionaly lived in sylvan environs. I don't remember "A Midsummer's Night Dream" taking place on a beach! And what about Killer Bees? What other colour could support a critter like that (maybe, Red)?

Nope, I'm going to keep ranting about this until I get my darned Sprites back!

-Ferret

"This is fun..."

Killer Joe

I guess Gaea's Skyfolk doesn't count? :rolleyes:

You're right about the "Killer Bees" card, I mean, you couldn't justify them in any other color. How about moth's, you couldn't put them in any other color either although I think they DID find a new home in white in CoK.

N

Nightstalkers

Thank goodness. I've got a jerk over here who keeps hinting at me to buy his 4 wisps so that he can get rid of them from the case.

He's asking $5 each on them... if they're reprinted as common/uncommons or something, they'll at least be really easy to find.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ferret: You forgot to mention that green got shafted from having ninjas too in the current block... ;)

I don't know, if you can't beat blue with green AND red, then I think you gotta look at your deck again...

Ferret

Staff member
Spiderman said:
Ferret: You forgot to mention that green got shafted from having ninjas too in the current block... ;)

I don't know, if you can't beat blue with green AND red, then I think you gotta look at your deck again...
Well, it depends on what Blue decks/players, I guess. In quite a few sealed tourneys I usually scope out the Red and Green cards just to see what I got and on a couple of occasions (Fifth Edition and Stronghold) I got the perfect combination of speed and power...

-Ferret

"A goldfish can kill a gorrila - all it needs is the element of surprise..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah. That's not the impression you gave here
Paired up w/ Green's best friend Red you can have some fun. However, when their mutual enemy Blue comes in, your critters are countered before they hit the table, bounced back to your hand, or are completely ignored by creatures flying over you, slipping through the shadows, or just being "unblocked".
There, you just sounded like blue won all the time.

O

orgg

Personally, I'd have MUCH prefered [card]Fog of Gnats[/card] rather than Will-O-The-Whisp. For an additional B, you get a 1/1 flyer with the same ability, but it just seems to be more black. Drudge Skeletons should cost a black and a half mana, since they're too good for just B, and not good enough for 1B. BB for flying in a color that has an occasional flyer doesn't seem to be a bad thing to me, if the card was uncommon or rare to make it not as harsh on draft...

...but it is good to have a classic card back, I guess. Some people like us have fond memories of Whisp, second turn Unholy Stregnth, Unholy Stregnth, hit for four...