Night of Souls' Betrayal

M

Mikeymike

Night of Souls' Betrayal

From a competitive standpoint - an area I do not have much experience - this seems like it can give affinity a hard time. The biggest issue is its' 4CC cost, but there are a lot of affinity critters that cannot be cast with this out in play (unless all you want to do is give an artifact creature a +1/+1 counter). And it kills those bloody Disciples immediately. And when is the last time you saw Affinity run enchantment destruction? It wouldn't outright kill it, but it would give it a heluva hard time.

Team it up with Hirobi and Modular gets shut down as well. Hell they couldn't even re-target their Plating.

From a casual/MP standpoint, this is a very solid card. It shuts down those token playing punks in check (like me), and it general is a P.I.T.A. for any deck playing creatures.

I wish it weren't legendary, but I understand why it is, this card in multiples would be rather evil. This card will be trouble for many decks.

M

Mikeymike

I understand your reservations, I was underwhelmed the first time I looked at it as well.

But the more I thought about the effect the more I realized how debilitating it is over the course of a game. Very, very annoying.

Maybe it is my casual roots, but I think it has staying power.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It would be a lot more potent if it weren't legendary...

I guess it could be a cool support card with something like Plaguelord...

R

Rooser

I'm with Mikeymike here. This card randomly turns off a lot of things in a casual multiplayer game.

Don't think it'll see much t2 competetive play though. As an affinity hoser, this card is too much like Imi Statue in that it does too little to late. If you could play this turn 1 somehow, then yeah, it would certainly cook Ravager's biscuits, but by turn 4 they'll just smirk and kill you with what they got. At best it forces them to do all their sacrificing on their turn so that disciple damage can still hit you, but if you tapped out to play this then you obviously don't have the mana to do anything about their big ginormous ornithopter, so forcing them to sac on their turn doesn't really accomplish much.