NExt banned Card

M

Mundungu

Which card do you think will be banned/restricted next and for which format ?

I am sure that Sterling grove will be banned/restricted in type 1.5 an 1 respectively.

L

Landkiller

Well, they didn't ban Enlightened Tutor, so I wouldn't think they'd ban Sterling Grove either.

F

fuzzy510

Due to the fact that Sterling Grove is Gold, and Enlightened Tutor is not Banned, Sterling Grove would not be on my list for the next group of Banned Cards.

Melkor

Actually, Enlightened Tutor is banned in Type 1.5 and restricted in Type 1. I'm not sure that Sterling Grove will be restricted, for the big reasons of course that its not an instant and it costs GW rather than just W. Another point is that Enlightened Tutor probably sees the least amount of play of any of the restricted tutors in type 1.

Knowing how the DCI operates, I wouldn't be surprised to see Grim Monolith, Ancient Tomb, and City of Traitors banned in Extended sometime in the near future, probably in response to Pandeburst or some other combo. Also Mox Diamond might get put on the chopping block, seeing how a lot of people are using it as a replacement for Dark Ritual.

L

Landkiller

Somebody is going to make a really evil Replenish deck with sterling grove. Wait and see. I won't start down *that* path of darkness.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Planar Portal HAS to be broken! How can a Demonic Tutor every turn not be broken? I don't care about the 6 mana to use it - that's a small price to pay to get THE card I want every turn.

Get'em now on ebay for $2-3 each.

D

Duel

Second the motion. Damn. I gott buy me some of those. I LOVE that card. It's friggin fantastic!

*Warning: the subject has been sleep-deprived, thereby causing extensive use of the word "friggin"*

C

Cateran Emperor

I highly doubt Portal'll be banned. It's not terribly broken, it just looks like it. Remember, the DCI only bans something if it's obscenely overpowered.

Tell me if you find a way to use it enough times in one turn to break it.

M

Mr_Pestilence

Nah. With Morphling going out of Standard, there's no longer a need to ban Islands.

But, if they did, I wouldn't miss'em!

T

Thrash Golem

Fact or fiction will get banned.. maybe undermine will be restricted.

Mox diamond i think will become restricted in extended because every deck runs one.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Actually, I think that there isn't a card too powerful in Invasion to be banned. Each card has it's weaknesses, or if it doesn't, it's gold.

Ransac, monkey herder

C

Cateran Emperor

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is it that someone bright always misses out on something that's always shouted at idiots? I'm only saying this one more time to anyone who hasn't realized it yet:

EXTENDED HAS NO RESTRICTED LIST

Jebus, I hate having to say that so often...

No offense meant to you personally TG, this is just a Public Service Announcement.

T

Thrash Golem

banned then. you happy?

let me serve you cheese and crackers until i have made up for my error detrimental to the history of mankind.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i agree i think fact or fiction will be banned as well
and possibly skizzik

"the light is merely an illusion for those too timid to embrace the darkness"

C

Cateran Emperor

FoF is more likely of those two. Skizzik is a creature, and they very, very rarely ban creatures that don't have a ridiculously good ability. Skizzik is just an attacker or, if you really want it to be, a blocker.

FoF is excellent, but not really broken. In more than one case, I've gotten FoF to hurt the opponent more than help them. Want to beat FoF, here's a few ideas:

1. Nether Spirits ALWAYS go in the same pile as other Nether Spirits

2. Huge one here: Before you pile them up, make sure to ask your opponent to ask how many cards are in their hand and check out the mana they have available. I've had an opponent playing U/G FoF on my end of turn and turn over 3 Derms and 2 more FoFs. I put them all into ONE pile. They cast a Derm on their turn. They end their turn. On my turn, Void for Four. Proceed to laugh maniacally if something like this ever happens for you :D

3. If you turn over multiple of a nonbasic land like Rath's Edge or Dustbowl, put them into seperate piles.

4. If you turn over lands and spells of different colors, mix it up as much as possible. This occasionally clashes with #5. Example:

Plains
Island
Disenchant
Counterspell
Disrupt

Put it something like this:

Plains..............Island
Counterspell.....Disrupt
.......................Disenchant

5. Give them as few of any type of spell as possible. Try not to put more than one of a kind in one pile to keep them from locking you down. Examples of spell types are counters (Counterspell), disenchants (Disenchant), terrors (Terror), burns (Shock), growths (Giant Growth), discards (Stupor), drawings (Acc. Knowledge), and so on. This should minimize the damage you can take. Exceptions to the rule are when the spell type makes no difference to you (black creatures, no cards in hand, no enchantments/atrifacts in deck, etc.)

[Edited by Cateran Emperor on 11-05-00 at 01:37 PM]