Newsflash! Planeshift Land Spoiler!

C

Chaos Turtle

The aformentioned Dragon's Lairs....

and

Terminal Moraine (uncommon)
Land

Tap: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
2, Tap, Sacrifice Terminal Moraine: Search your library for a basic land card and put that card into play tapped. Then shuffle your library.
This is drfatable, being a non-green way to help out multicolor decks. Might even see some contructed play in non green decks wishing to smooth out mana sources. (In off-color decks?)

Meteor Crater (rare)
Land

Tap: Choose a color of a permanent you control. Add one mana of that color to your mana pool.
Looks better than it is.
After all, you have to have had that color mana at some point already, right?
You don't want this in your opening hand, doesn't even make colorless mana.
Makes me wish Reflecting Pool would come back..

Forsaken City (rare)
Land

Forsaken City doesn't untap during your untap step.

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may remove a card in your hand from the game. If you do, untap Forsaken City.

Tap: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
God, this is even worse.

Oh well, the Dragon Lairs are interesting, and Terminal Moraine may even be good. The new 5-color lands, though, are nothing to get excited about.

C

Chaos Turtle

Oops, I forgot to credit the source!
[color="0000ff"]Mag2[/color] (click it!)

P

Purple_jester

Mag2 got almost everything right when t came to Invasion, so these lands are probably the real thing. Terminal Moraine might indeed see play. Meteor Crater has even better prospects. The Forsaken City won't see use unless there is a way to abuse having few cards in your hand...

Uh, oh. Suddenly, those rumors involving Cursed Scroll might not exactly be rumors... :(

I

Istanbul

My GOD, Forsaken City is a stinking pile! Expect some groan pulls with that one.

Terminal Moraine seems amusing, but probably won't get played much at all.

Now, Meteor Crater looks somewhat playable. Still, as originally said, you don't want to see it in your opening hand. I think it should've been uncommon, due to the fact that by the time it's good, you don't really need it anymore.

D

DÛke

...did you all notice, that we haven't seen MUCH of Planeshift yet, however, there are a good number of cards that "return" cards to your hand. We haven't even seen the whole thing yet. You know, I THINK that Cursed Scroll IS, in fact, in Planeshift. I really do.

B

Bladefall

Well, Meteor Crater will most likely see constructed play. As will Terminal Moraine. Forsaken City is horrible, a definite throw away card.

Planeshift, should be a very interesting set....

Z

Zadok001

Well...

If you think about it, Forsaken City isn't HORRIBLE, per se. It's certainly not a good card, but it's not the worst land I've ever seen. It's a painless City for a turn, and by pitching other lands, it taps again for more mana on the next turn. Basically, it turns all the extra lands you draw into Lotus Petals.

That doesn't seem like a wonderful effect, but to be honest, that thing is very likely superior to Henge of Ramos. It may see extremely limited play in 5c decks designed to work around the drawback.

But I doubt it. :)

As for the other lands, Meteor Crater is mediocre, but the Moraine is quite powerful - It's like a stronger Mirage search land. The effect can be quite devestating in Limited, for sure, allowing you to play single copies of lands to take advantage of Domain spells. I like that thing.

[NEWSFLASH #2! Lord of the Undead is up:

Lord of the Undead - 1BB
Creature - Lord; 2/2
All Zombies get +1/+1.
1B, T: Return target Zombie.
Rare

Obviously, the second ability is phrased incorrectly. I presume it means from the graveyard to your hand, in which case Pyre Zombie now has cheaper recursion. :) Whoop-de-doo. Anyone got good Zombies in Type 2? Heck, anyone got good Zombies in TYPE 1?) -- Zadok001, edited in]

[Sheesh. I just keep missing these...

Tsabo's Manipulation
Sorcery
Deal 3 damage to target creature. If that creature was destroyed, gain control of it until end of your next turn.
"You thought that was painful? What 'til you help me with my next victim!"
- Tsabo Tavoc

Again, the wording is flawed, but there ya' go... --Zadok001, edited in again, same source as everything else, http://www.mag2.cjb.net]

C

Chaos Turtle

I have my doubts about this one; the wording is just too awful.

I'm guessing, blue/black, since that's what Tsabo is, but this would have to cost 2UB at the very least, to get the 3 damage and a bonus. (Unless they are making off-color spells, in which case 2RU makes a lot more sense.)

So anyway, here's my best guess at a correct version.

Tsabo's Manipulation
3UB
Instant

Deal 3 damage to target creature. If that creature would be destroyed this turn, instead gain control of it. Sacrifice that creature at the end of your next turn.
Otherwise, it might have a goes-to-the-graveyard trigger instead of the replacement ability I suggested.

I also think it shuld be an instant. If it's a sorcery, it should cost 2UB, and still wouldn't be half as good as if it was an instant.

Oh, well, enough babbling from me for now! ;)

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay, I know it's way too soon to start thinking of combos for a set that's not even out yet, but...

(and I'll admit this isn't amazing)

Meteor Crater + Tidal Visionary = 5-color land

Just tap the Visionary, targetting itself, and name the color of mana you want.

Say hello to 5-color blue?

[edited by CT - typing is hard]

[Edited by Chaos Turtle on 12-29-00 at 04:06 PM]

C

Cateran Emperor

[me]snaps fingers[/me], you got there first!

It's good to see Black finally get a more proper Lord card (Zombie Master always has been blatantly less useful than the other Lords as more than one is dead weight). Now all we need is a White Lord. Knights? Clerics (nah, that would be silly)

Forbidden City I initially saw as broken combo fuel, until I saw that you had to remove a card at the beginning of your upkeep. Were it not for that, we have some fun with crazy card-mana engines such as good old Bargain. Imagine, Skirge Familiar for any color...

Meteoric Crater is an interesting twist on color manipulation, yet as I look at it more the logical extension. Still, Reflecting Pool was much better in most any case.

Terminal Moraine (anyone know what a moraine is?) should be one less mana to activate, or not require a sac. Then I would like it a lot more.

Tsabo's Manipulation, I can't give a first impression on yet as there is no mana cost stated. I guess we wait...

D

Duel

Actually, I like terminal moraine. It can be kept untapped for instant mana, and then, at the end of your turn, can be used. It's simply a worse, instant rampant growth, that gives you mana and isn't green...

C

Chaos Turtle

As a glacier moves, it deposits (and pushes) earth and stones along its way. This deposit is called moraine.

Also, on the Terminal Moraine issue, I think that it's better than Rampant Growth, since it costs the same amount of mana - only colorless - and is much more difficult to counter, as well as being useful on its own if you need mana right away.

D

Duel

It is better. when I said worse, mean it simlpy because it costs 3 in effect. However, I'd replace growth with it in my deck any day.

Can YOU hear MY footseps, oh shelled one?

C

Chaos Turtle

Ha!

You're way behind me, O circling-around one!

I on the other hand am right behind you!.

D

Duel

Moraine is bette than harrow, BTW.

Hey, turtle, we might as well chat. We practiaclly are anyways. Join me in the chat room?

C

Chaos Turtle

A trick!

To get me to lose your trail!

Curses!

Um, don't you have mIRC? I'm on NewNet, #type-random...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Chaos Turtle + Duel: More spam, people.

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed this yet, but you can untap Forsaken City under Rising Waters, making it better than City of Brass in that case. It would fit very well into a Waters deck if it was trying to get some off-color mana for some reason...