News on Magic Counterfeit Cards

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, that's pretty much exactly what I'd think they'd have to say on the matter. What really counts is what they're doing behind the scenes, which they can't very well state so publicly. But I'm sure they take the problem very seriously.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They have to.

I'm interested in knowing how the problem first came to light; how people knew they had counterfeits and in what circumstances, since it was "in batches" or something like that.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
There were pictures being posted on other sites (ones that are actually still relevant in the Magic community and not relicts like this one). Some of the early ones demonstrated cards that people had found that had messed up kerning in the text box and other minor errors. The main targets were relatively recent cards that had inflated prices due to their power in Legacy and Modern. Stuff like Tarmogoyf. There were a lot of different claims being thrown around about which particular store may have sold (knowingly or not) counterfeit cards. So the details of what happened depend on whom you believe about the matter. Most accounts indicated that even the later batches of Chinese counterfeits, while passable in sleeves or in photographs, were obvious when held up-close.

I think that I first became aware of the issue at The Source. Might even have been the exact thread that I linked to. It was also a big topic at MTGSalvation around that same time.

turgy22

Nothing Special
So, now that the counterfeit cards have been exposed... we should be able to get them pretty cheap, right?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Probably. :)

What I meant was was anyone actually taken in by the counterfeits? If they're as obvious as you say, it sounds like not... and whether it was attempted at tournaments (either duels or trading), but again, it sounds like just at shops(?).