New Restriction/Banned list

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, check out the new restricted and banned list, here at: http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?sb19990901a

I've only taken a quick look at it, but 2 things jumped out at me right away. First thing is the things banned and unbanned from 1.5 as a result of the Type 1 changes. You can now play 4 Ivory Towers in your 1.5 deck, or 4 Underwear Dreams.

Wow.

The second thing is the changes they made to Extended. I don't remember anything being said back at the time they dreamed up the format (when they tried to replace 1.5 with it) about it being their intention to rotate out older expansions (or basic sets either, apparently). Does anyone else?

My favorite part, though, comes when they say that by the time they do this again, they'll have created a new format, and they're planning to make it a CASUAL format! Can you believe that! A CASUAL format!

Now they want to try to control how casual players play too!

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply become restricted in Type 1."
-Daudi, surprised Femeref tutor

D

Dune Echo

Who would've thought that one day they'd ban COMMON CARDS! Hey, we're the CPA, how about we just play any damn cards we want! Lotus Petal and Crop Rotation are TOO POWERFUL! THEY'RE COMMON FOR GOD'S SAKES! Jesus DCI, make up your mind! These cards are too powerful, and so was WAYLAY?! What game are they creating when a COMMON card unbalances the enviroment too much? Lotus Petal is too powerful... COME ON! Mox Diamond, too powerful? Can't you create a Mox/Lotus version that's workable and won't get banned later?

Z

Zadok001

Well, all things considered, it's about time! But that's what the tournament part of Zadok001 says.

Yes, I remember when WotC said that extended would rotate, but at a slower rate. The idea was to EXTEND Standard, but not stretch it into infinity (that's what T1 is for!)

Next on my list of things-to-babble-on-BBs-about, Dune's comment. No, they can't. Here's why: Any card that can, without restriction, net you more mana than it cost to play ON THE TURN YOU PLAYED IT, is abusable. Maybe not broken, but definately abusable.

Needless to say, I don't think banning all those cards was entirely nessesary, but it happened.

And common cards have always been the main force in any enviroment. Among casual players, Lightning Bolt is a force to be reckoned with. Common. Hide Tide is a common. Hymn is a common. That's life.

Oh, and has anyone else started to notice a wierd banning trend? During the first major banning spree, they took away Reccurring Nightmare. Now Voltaic Key is on the watch list. Connection? Worlds. Nightmare won, and it was banned. Now Ponza (complete with 4 keys) is being "watched?" Ok, whatever.

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

W

Waubers

I'm glad to see some changes. Change is Good! The CPA should like these changes, it makes your casual play decks a bit stronger and you can tick people off by making them play lots more games! These bannings make creature decks very strong and a force to be reconed with. I got an email from a friend who runs tourny's at a local store and he told me that he was enforcing the list on non-sanctioned tournaments now! People are hungry to see non-combo decks at tournys and I applaude the DCI for acting on it.

Waubers

I went to my cousins house on tuesday and had ordered a double cheese + peperoni Ponza for lunch and for dinner we had Brats, and tommorow I'm going to a Fish Fry - I love Wisconsin food! Hey are those fried Cheese Curds?!? .... Gimmee!

W

Waubers

-Side Note-
The reason
I mentioned eating a Ponza is becuase Zadok001 Mentioned it. I believe the Ponza Rotta should be the CPA's official subsitute for pizza. For anyone who doesn't know I only live like 25 minutes north of Milwaukee and I used to live in Milwaukee so my family has been eating Ponza Rotta's for years (they sure are good). I'll assume everyone knows what a Friday Fish fry is and as far as Brats and Fried Cheese Curds, well those are something you just have to experience. If anyone is comming to Milwaukee let me know. I'l hook you up with some places to eat and play Magic if you have time.

Waubers

We don't have water fountains or Pop in Wisconsin, we have bubblers and soda!

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I'd like to follow these new changes - IF THEY MADE ANY SENSE?!?!!

In the Extendeded list they're talking about unbanning cards in a format that DO NOT EXIST! Underworld Dreams, Mirror Universe, Divine Inetervention, and Shahrazad are from sets prior to The Dark which means they're not just out now, THEY WERE NEVER IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

But, of course, since we're not really here to discuss how things affect our tournament play none of this really matters, does it?

-ferret

"...any tournament that has prizes is NOT casual..."

D

Dune Echo

I agree with rotations, but isn't a little hypocritical to rotate out Lightning Bolt and then say that "dual" lands DEFINE the Type 1.5 enviroment. Come on! This just goes to prove to me that I'm never playing in a tournament because sooner or later, every single card is going to be overpowered and we won't be allowed to play anymore. This is b.s. Lightning Bolt now is a Type 1 only! I kinda feel sorry for the Library of Leng as they are going to have to go through God only knows how many decks and relist them as to what's legal and not and for what formats. And so am I for my personal decklists...

I guess this all goes back to Wizards trying to make money. Think, Lightning Bolt came out in foil. Then they're doing all lands. If they accept Zvi's idea, then they'll have to reprint Moxes. Foils anyone? Also, part of your collection is gone from Extended. So, go and buy more Fifth Edition and MiViLight cards. Encourage sales to find new combos for the new shaken up enviroment.

Actually, it's all rather pointless. We're casual, we're gonna play any damn cards we want! Right?

-Dune Echo

"Can I play my Shahrazad since it's unbanned in Extended now?"

Ferret

Staff member
You know, now that I think about it, I can understand leaving Dual Lands in Extanded. It'll encourage more multi-coloured decks. Multicoloured decks are usually slower and better for the game on the whole. Mono colour decks are usually weenie-rush decks like Sligh, Suicide, Ponza, etc or combo decks that revolve around a few degenerate Blue cards or something...this could bring balance to the game and make the next season of play fun - that is, if we actually cared... :)

-ferret

"...of course, one of the first popular combo decks, Prosp-Bloom, was multicoloured..."

Z

Zadok001

Hmmm... Good point Ferret. How _do_ they manage to unrestrict cards that don't exist? Interesting...

--Zadok001, aka Greater Good fanatic

N

nekrataal

I feel they should have left Revised as sort of a base set in Extended and rotated out some of the other sets like Dark, FE, etc... I know people don't like Bolt or Duals, but I do and I feel that extended is the best place for them. At least with the new Type I changes we won't see so much combo and it may actually have a feel of extended.

B

Baron Sengir

Personally, I feel that if they were going to yank sets out of Extended then they should have taken the whole ball of wax. They didn't take the duals because they knew people would be pissed and it would just be another Type II format.

Why don't they just leave Extended the hell alone? I have never heard anyone clamor over the 'brokenness' of the sets pulled. Do they want Extended to be the watered-down crapfest that Type II is becoming?

If I'd ever have played in a tourney, It'd have been Extended. Type II is a joke and to play in Type I takes too many overpowered and overpriced cards that I don't own. Now, I don't know what I'd play. Goddamn WotC has managed to fuck up another good thing.

I remain
The Baron
Going to make little DCI voodoo dolls

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting you said that, Baron.

I mean the part about the sets they pulled not being the source of the broken-ness that is/was Extended.

You're right.

It's the new sets over the past year or 2 that screwed up Extended, not the old stuff. And I agree with your viewpoint about Extended being nothing more than Type 2 with duals, but then, that's what it seemed to me to be when they created it. Of course, at the time that meant Ice Age with non-pain duals.

I guess that's what WotC really wanted when the created the format. Oh well.

Don't get too far down on Type 1, Baron. You are right about many of the cards costing too much, but most places will let you play with at least a few proxies, and, to be honest, there are way too many ways you can mess up those Mox-laden control decks for you to worry about them. Energy Flux/Mox Monkey anyone?

Hey, I've a thought. Since WotC has refused to support Type 1, and, in the opinion of many (even some of us!), WotC shouldn't ever support Type 1 as a Pro-Tour format, shouldn't we adopt Type 1 as our mascot format? Casual players are really the only people who play it anymore, and if we could dictate policy on it like the pros have been on Type 2 maybe we could show them how it should be done.

Any thoughts?

TomB
CPA Member
"I do not teach. I simply reveal."
-Daudi, Femeref tutor

B

Baron Sengir

I like that. I don't know about anyone else, but my play group and I play by Type I rules. What do you guys think? Should Type I format be the official CPA mascot format? This wouldn't mean you can't play any other formats at all. It just seems to me that type one is the format that kind of fits us as a group.

I remain
The Baron
Last night, I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.

T

theorgg

<points finger at baron>
Heeey! no stealing one of Ferret's Quotes!
that's not fair. (I think that one is from one of the old dojo humor posts...)

anyway, the "type one" format is pretty mutch the way most people I have met play,only they don't use "type one cards".
they use what they think is neat and leave it at that.

Ferret

Staff member
(actually, it's not one of mine - wish it was)

You're right. Most people I've played w/ had never even heard of "formats" until The Duelist started blabbing about the Pro Tour each issue. We just played w/ the cards we like. Most of the "restricted" cards were restricted to us because we couldn't afford to buy anymore - or if we had more than one, we'd trade it to another player for some of their really cool stuff - you should have seen how much my roommie Matt put up just to get his mitts on a Library of Alexandria...

...of course, when cards like Hymn and Strip Mine started getting restricted we decided to not take The Duelist seriously anymore...

-ferret

"...yes, I still have Petals in my decks! Wanna make something of it?"

N

nekrataal

I like Type I now, especially with the bannings. I can see it as being once again a fun format and not just the little played, combo ridden monster it was. I think that they did an all around good job on the changes.

I'm not totally happy with the direction Extended took, but I hope to play a lot more Type I now. Just look at Type I as the new Extended. Also, if you can find someone who plays Type 1.5 (or whatever the totally restricted version of T1 is called now), do it. Its even closer to the old Extended.

Just my thoughts. I'm tired so good night all.

-nekrataal
"...Ok, my second post for today...now I'm going to bed..."