New Phyrexia FAQ

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Spiderman, May 4, 2011.

1. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

New Phyrexia FAQ

Stuff you should know... :)
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

They really need to fix the way images are displayed with cards. I found it pretty inconvenient trying to catalog my Fallen Empires cards and only being able to see one version of the artwork on Gatherer. Now I'm seeing a beta Evil Presence in the image here, instead of the new Evil Presence, which I'm sure they would have wanted to display.
  3. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

I wonder if it's "defaulting" to show the first image in the case of more than one set, since when you click on the Evil Presence image, it takes you to the actual New Phyrexia card. However, I'm not sure if there's any other "reprints" - the set is too big to quickly eyeball it.

Depending on when you used Gatherer to do your Fallen Empires cataloguing, it may have changed to a newer version... now when you select the set, you can click on the Additional Artwork symbols to get the other artwork.
  4. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Yeah, I'm sure it's defaulting. But they did design a newer cardface and they had new artwork done and all that. I disliked how they changed the cardface in 2003 or whenever it was (which was why I was delighted when they made those timeshifted cards), but I have to admit that the New Phyrexia Evil Presence just plain looks better than the original. And the image of the Beta Evil Presence obviously doesn't include their new flavor text. Not a huge mistake, but just one of several issues Gatherer has annoyed me with lately. Also, I'm amused at the prospect of newer players being confused by the image defaulting, but I suspect very few players who bother to read the FAQ are unfamiliar with 1st edition or Evil Presence...

The thing with Fallen Empires (and I think it happened with another set, probably Homelands) was different. They had the numbers to click on for alternate artworks, but they were broken, and I would get the same image every time. I could view all of the alternate flavor texts and see how many different versions of each card there were, but I couldn't view the actual artworks themselves though Gatherer. It couldn't have been that long ago, but you're right, they did fix the problem. Hm, I wonder if I have any more sets with alternate artworks that need cataloged...

Edit: I think it's actually defaulting to the image linked to the Masters Edition III (Magic Online) set for some reason, and that image happens to be identical to the one for 1st Edition...
  5. Mooseman Isengar Tussle

Just my 2 cents
    Essentialmagic.com has all the images for Evil Presence, even has a drop down to change sets and see the other artwork
  6. Spiderman CPA Man in Tights, Dopey Administrative Assistant

Well, most of the recent sets have different basic land artwork, but they haven't done alternate artwork for non-land cards in a long time (in the same set).
  7. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I know that. But which ones I have cataloged has nothing to do with release date. And not being able to see the alternate artworks didn't make it impossible or anything. I was still able to use Gatherer to check how many different versions of the card there were in the set (two, three, or four). But being able to actually just click through and view the different artworks is definitely nicer (and better because it works the way one would expect it to, instead of putting the same image up when I click on one of the version number thingies).