New Perspectives

Discussion in 'Rules Questions' started by Oversoul, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Oversoul The Tentacled One

I assume that there will be some sort of rules update to Cycling?

[IMG]

It sure looks like under the current rules, this would make any card in your hand with Cycling have "0: Draw a card." And while six mana is expensive, I don't believe that "Draw a card whenever you feel like it" is the intent of this card.
  2. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Found a claim that Rule 702.1a solves this problem, which is fine, but the wording could be much clearer. As I read Rule 702.1a, I'm seeing that if an effect refers to a keyword ability cost, it only refers to the variable costs for that keyword. The example they give is a card that gives creature cards in your graveyard Scavenge and sets the Scavenge cost to correspond to the mana costs of those cards. But New Perspectives doesn't give cards Cycling. It doesn't say, "Cards in your hand with Cycling have Cycling 0." It says that you may pay 0 rather than cycling costs, and discarding the card is clearly part of the cost of cycling it.

Obviously, discarding is the intent with this card, but it should really have been worded differently.
  3. Oversoul The Tentacled One

Well, per Matt Tabak, the rules for cycling are being updated in a way that will address this. Seems like it would be a lot less clunky to just word the card differently in the first place. But I guess that resolves it.