New Morphlings

A

artifact

I liked the idea they did with Odyssey with the Lhurgoyfs and thought it would be cool if they did that with Morphling.
Here is what I came up with.

Woodland Morph
3GG Summon Morphling
4/4
1: +1/-1 until end of turn
1: -1/+1 until end of turn
G: Woodland Morph gains trample until end of turn
G: Target creature loses flying until end of turn
G: Woodland Morph changes to a color of your choice until end of turn.

Rogue Morph
3RR Summon Morphling
3/3
R: Rogue Morph cannot be blocked with less then 2 creature until end of turn
R: Target Creature gains haste until end of turn
R: Until end of turn if Rogue Morph is the target of spells or abilities the controller of the spell or ability takes 3 damage. This ability is not cumulative.

Death Morph
3BB Summon Morphling
3/3
B: Death Morph can only be blocked by black or artifact creatures until end of turn
B: Regenerate
B: Gain life equal to the damage Death Morph deals until end of turn. You cannot gain more life then target creature or player has.

Morphing Wall
3WW Summon Morphling Wall
3/3
W: Gain protection of the color of your choice until end of turn
W: Morphling Wall gains First Strike until end of turn
W: Morphling Wall may attack as if it weren't a wall until end of turn.

And since I don't think Morphling has been put on the no reprint list. They should reprint it with these guys.

So What do you think? :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
They look okay to me; I'd just have to know why everyone thinks the original Morphling was "broken". Was it because of the untargetability? If so, these look okay. If there was more to it, maybe these would need revisions, depending on what it was.

E

Elrond

The only problem I have is that the white one's a wall, but the ability to let it attack makes it ok.

Spidey: I think that the untargetabilty was a big part of it, but the untap part might have been a factor as well. I'm not sure though, just a guess.

M

MrXarvox

still, even without the near-invincibility of the original Morphling, these guys are just a bit overpowered. Any of them could stomp all over a deck with no instantaneous creature removal.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Also, Woodland Morph poses a problem in that it can reach 7/1 as opposed to 5/1.

Part of the reason Morphling is considered broken is that it works so well in decks that can support it. While possessing a heavy blue requirement, it can put on a four turn clock any player who doesn't play really well, have untargeted removal, or flying blockers.
So it perfectly complements decks that can get it out quickly and support it. This is why Accelerated Blue did so well.

The rest of these Morphling clones don't fit into an established type of deck at first glance. Then again, they might help develop one like the original Morphling did.

If they print another Morphling, I think it should be something like this:

Morphlingg
3UU
Creature - Shapeshifter
3/3
1: Morphlingg gets +1/-1 until end of turn.
1: Morphlingg gets -1/+1 until end of turn.
U: Untap Morphlingg.
U: Morphlingg gains flying until end of turn.
U: Morphlingg can't be the target of spells or abilities this turn.

And in tiny letters:
"0: Remove Morphlingg from the game. Any player may play this ability." :D

I just hope they never achieve Atog status.

Q

Quill

I like them all, as they give each color a powerful creature to contend with. I don't think they're overpowered at all, and whose not playing with creature removal these days? I think the white one is the most powerful, (and the coolest). I'd love to see WoTC bring us a group of powerful USEABLE creatures in one set. But then I'd like to see mono colored decks make a comeback so what do I know?

Q